Poll: Man of the Match vs Blackburn...and your player ratings,

Man of the Match vs Blackburn  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Blackburn?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Sasso
    • Loovens
    • Fox
    • Hutchinson
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Rhodes
    • Winnall
    • Reach
    • Forestieri
    • Fletcher
    • Jones

16 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Careful mate that first line is not what some want to hear however accurate it might be and even though it's only an opinion. Wasn't there so won't comment but would say a couple of golden boys were mentioned on player in the line up then hardly ever again.

Great result but sounded poor on player but having said that even Pearson was prattling on about anything but the game and most of the chat was nothing to do with what was happening, it's very frustrating don't think they realise you want commentary on what's happening not chat chat of their opinions.

We were poor, yes.

Our passing was atrocious. Time after time wonderfully assured passers of the ball, Bannan, Jones, Hutch, FF, Fletch, Winnall just gave the ball to a red shirt. Really no explanation that I can come up with. Seemed an utter lack of confidence. Which is odd given our recent record, but as we know on here, we have not been playing well, so maybe that's why confidence is below par.

But, we were the better team, if not by much. They hit the bar, but so did Ross. They had one chalked off, but so did we. Westy made one real (superb) save all night.

And yet again we were ponderous. 

I will give Hutch huge latitude cos of how he has performed, and the fact that he should have had crutches tonight, but one very real issue is how deep he plays. Bannan has no one near him to play his sweet close one-twos off. 

But it we won Copsy. There was great heart on display. And one in my ageing chest that didn't enjoy the last 25. It wasn't pretty but boy was it exciting - well stressful. 

Edited by Holmowl

45 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Wallace was awful

Maybe but it's a bit like we were poor but got the 3 points. Wallace made a goal and went so close with a great free kick. He contributed on a night when as a whole we were poor. I know he's not flavour of the month but he keeps making telling contribution that are positively impacting on our points haul.

Edited by Dagmeister
Addition

Having just got back and read the previous posts, I agree mostly with Holmowl.

Westy was brilliant when he was needed.  Such an asset to have back there.

Hunt was ok, but the full backs generally did not work well with the wingers to provide overlaps - we were generally missing opportunities to attack in wide positions.

Fox looked out of his depth.  It was a relief to see him relieved of his duties at half time.

Loovens was pretty good and even made a glorious and unexpected attacking run in the second half, but did make some defensive mistakes.

Sasso was outstanding and clearly the MoM.  Good tackles and reading of the game at the back (but not completely without mistakes), and two goals.

Hutch needed to be given the coup de grace at least at half time, as he was walking wounded and a liability.

Bannan gave the ball away, but also made some good attacking runs.  In the second half he was better linking with FF and Reach, but not a patch on the form of last season.

Wallace was pretty good. He did make lots of effort to cover back, and his crosses are often excellent. But we showed too little endeavour generally down the wings.

Reach was very good throughout, but probably better in the second half playing on the left.  Some good runs in to space in the centre in the first half, which were not always spotted, but were promising when he received the ball.

Winnall - good effort but pretty anonymous and invisible

Rhodes - lots of effort but too much emphasis tactically on using him simply as a target,  We will need to get past this if we are to see the best of him.

FF - lifted the standard of attacking play when her came on.  Busy going forward and evidently doing his best to show that he was tracking back.  Selfishly looking for a glory goal sometimes but shouldn't really fault him for having a go.

Fletch - looks to me more of a threat than other options we have available.  Showed some good touch and determination to win headers and knock-ons.  I am hopeful that he and Rhodes could  have a fruitful partnership.

Jones.  Puts some effort in but seems very unispiring to me.

25 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Westwood- 8 - nothing he could do about the goal. Just bad luck. 

Immense with his saves. 

Hunt 7- thought he played well they rarely bothered us down his side till late on. Got forward well as usual. Lack of quality on crosses mind. 

Sasso - 9- man of match. Immense took his goals well and showed lees and Loovens what it means to attack a ball. 

We don't score enough from set plays and tonight was a welcome change

Loovens- 6- steady as always

Fox -4 - looked alright until that horrible header then looked woeful. Became a liability. Right to go off 

Reach - 5 - back to the norm really huffed and puffed but nothing really came off. A lot of money for alright. 

Bannan - 5 - bits that were good, too many bits that weren't. Too negative and too wasteful with the ball. Decent delivery from set plays. 

Missed target twice when should have done better. 

Hutch- 5 - not one of his better games. Passing weak and very negative. Don't like him and Barry together. Need to play one with a attacking midfielder at home. 

Wallace - 6 - worked hard and good corners. Covered a lot of ground but little came off for him. Had a bad spell in 2nd half but recovered. 

Winnall - 5 - playing too deep, didn't win a header and didn't do anything really. Rhodes might as well have been playing on his own up there. 

Defended well on set plays

Rhodes- 6 - tried but got literally zero service other than a hit and hope long ball. 

Subs 

Nando - 7 - looked good after a slow start. Always wanted to go forward and passed it around well. 4 or 5 positive shots. Very unlucky tp not score 

Fletcher- 5 - played winnall role of Mr invisible perfectly. Did absolutely nothing. 

Jones - 5 - fail to see how he played week in week out for Burnley. 

He's basically Darren Potter.  Steady away but never goes forward. 

Should have been abdi although I understand why he went for Jones. 

Team performance- 4 

Very poor. Blackburn had more of the ball and we're by far the better side. 

Take 3 points though. Team needs fresh ideas. 

Everything is too slow and top predictable. 

Don't lie bannan and hutch together 

Can I just make a comment on your view of Bannan tonight.

You want either Hutch or Bannan, with a more attacking CM.

CMs work as a pair. The gap between ours tonight was massive. For 90% Bannan was 20 yards ahead of Hutch, and mid second they reversed but still 20 yards apart. That doesn't work either defensively or attacking.

In defensive situations, as a CM if you get a nick on the ball you need your partner to sweep up the overspill. If he is 20 yards away the oppos emerge with the ball and you are out of position.

In attack, you need your partner nearby to make those important short passes with. Lee and Bannan are an art form in this. 

Bannan is wonderful. Hutch is wonderful. But I am concerned that the partnership needs work. For me, Hutch needs to be told to step up 10-15 yards. They are both athletes and can get back quickly, as Lee and Bsnnan do so well when paired.

Edited by Holmowl

16 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Westwood: 8

-

Hunt: 3

Loovens: 6

Sasso: 9

Fox: 5

-

Wallace: 5

Hutch: 5

Bannan: 2

Reach: 5

-

Winnall: 5

Rhodes: 5

-

Forestieri: 5

Fletcher: 5

Jones: 5

Yep pretty much spot on although I wouldn't rate either forward. The can't possibly get a mark with Carlos 'hope and pray the opposition don't score if we sit in our box ' tactic. 

Three games In 8 days was probably always going to be to much for Fernando. However when he came on he was lively and gave the team up top some of what had been lacking. He got 6 or 7 shots in and that for me was enough to earn him my MOM.

Westwood 7-  Steady but costly decision that lead to a soft goal from resulting corner

Fox 6 - poor touches

Loovens 6- not solid as a pair

Sasso 6-  do      do

Hunt 6- poor touches

Reach 7- A little improved second half

Bannan 6- Poor decision making

Hutchinson 7- Heroic display carrying injury for more than an hour, Carlos should have had him off.

Wallace 7- Only real threat until Fernando came on

Winnall  6- Feeding on scraps

Rhodes 6-     do              do

Fernando  8-Fernando of last season,unlucky with disallowed goal

Fletcher 7- Proved a better aerial threat than Rhodes or Winnall.

Jones  6- Did a job for a few minutes

20 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Three games In 8 days was probably always going to be to much for Fernando. However when he came on he was lively and gave the team up top some of what had been lacking. He got 6 or 7 shots in and that for me was enough to earn him my MOM.

Westwood 7-  Steady but costly decision that lead to a soft goal from resulting corner

Fox 6 - poor touches

Loovens 6- not solid as a pair

Sasso 6-  do      do

Hunt 6- poor touches

Reach 7- A little improved second half

Bannan 6- Poor decision making

Hutchinson 7- Heroic display carrying injury for more than an hour, Carlos should have had him off.

Wallace 7- Only real threat until Fernando came on

Winnall  6- Feeding on scraps

Rhodes 6-     do              do

Fernando  8-Fernando of last season,unlucky with disallowed goal

Fletcher 7- Proved a better aerial threat than Rhodes or Winnall.

Jones  6- Did a job for a few minutes

14 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sasso MOM you are all mad Fernando by a country mile. I hope there are some player stats out soon.

Hi Nev

Hows the ticker after that one!? Mine was beating way too fast.

Agree that was the 2015/16 vintage Forestieri, but no way he pips Sasso tonight. He was the love child of a Mark Smith, Mick Lyonsand Marco van Basten threesome tonight. Majestic display.

Could he keep Lees out? Hard to split the Lees-Loovens duo, but boy that was some display. And the last four games suggest he is a real attacking threat. That bullet header v Wolves was outstanding.

My French wife fancies him rotten though so perhaps safer with Lees after all.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Hi Nev

Hows the ticker after that one!? Mine was beating way too fast.

Agree that was the 2015/16 vintage Forestieri, but no way he pips Sasso tonight. He was the love child of a Mark Smith, Mick Lyonsand Marco van Basten threesome tonight. Majestic display.

Could he keep Lees out? Hard to split the Lees-Loovens duo, but boy that was some display. And the last four games suggest he is a real attacking threat. That bullet header v Wolves was outstanding.

My French wife fancies him rotten though so perhaps safer with Lees after all.

I thought as a pair tonight Loovens and Sasso were decidedly average +. Glad of the three points though !