Reach or FF tomorrow night?

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

The world and his granny has been questioning Reach's end product for weeks - he comes on scores a good goal takes a very good part in the game and all of a sudden he's seen as a better than Forestiero.

I notice all the old FF critics back out in force I accept this is a forum for opinions but Jesus what utter crap.

Crackers innit..

11 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Fernando's not really a winger really though is he. If he plays wide its gotta be in a 433 which seems unlikely as we don't have a similar right side player. Reach ain't really a winger either tbh, crossing not good enough and can't beat a man, although his energy is a real asset to the team. Left wing back surely his best position. 

Blackburn at home is a great opportunity to try a new attacking formation, would love to see 352 with FF behind our two new strikers

100% the bolded bit. 

He's not a winger and he clearly doesn't want to be. He'll still play most games as a forward. 1 game against a depleted Birmingham side won't change that.

Left in a 433 is probably perfect for him. He'd be our Hazard with Rhodes as Costa. Mcmanaman would probably be the best option for the right side.

352 would be interesting. You'd expect Blackburn to come and sit back with us having most of the ball, so if ever there's a chance to try something new, it's this game. 

Lees Hutch Loovens

Hunt.                        Reach

Jones Bannan

Forestieri 

Rhodes. Winnall

Maybe Abdi for Bannan. 

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I wouldn't change a thing rob. We've been looking for the answer all season and for the first time we might have found it.

lol

Looking for the answer? You're now trying to make out we've had a poor season until this Birmingham game, which conveniently saw FF start on the left.

It was very similar to many other games this season. We didn't really play any better, we didn't create many more chances, we just took them this time. 

If we'd had Rhodes and Winnall in the squad from the start of the season rather than Hooper and Fletcher, I'm sure we'd be a lot higher.

27 minutes ago, Savo said:

We can't play 352,  we haven't got the squad to sustain it.  we've only got 4 centre halves and one of them is Hutch.  He won't do it,  if he was even thinking about it he would have bought at least one more centre half.

24 minutes ago, shez owl said:

I think reach should get the place, but probably best to give FF another chance to show he can do the ugly side and track back. 

As for 3-5-2, we are too long into the season now, Carlos won't change from a formation that has been drilled all season.

we play 352 for part of most games, with Hutch moving back to receive the ball and lees/loovens going wider allowing the full backs to push up. so Carlos definitely thinks about it.. Problem at home this season has been simply that teams have played very defensively against us. And we don't make it easy for ourselves by putting players in positions where they're not able to use their talents effectively. We should be looking at attacking from the off rather than worrying too much about their attacking wide players, when its likely Blackburn will come here and leave 10 men behind the ball. Playing Forestieri short and Rhodes long with Winnall also there to head in crosses or win knockdowns will give their packed defence a lot to think about, hopefully too much. Bannan and Abdi will keep it tidy in the middle, and the full backs to bomb up and down. What's not to like?

26 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I wouldn't change a thing rob. We've been looking for the answer all season and for the first time we might have found it.

We found it pretty tough going for 70 out of 90 mins on Friday. Fernando on the left didn't work. Reach on the left hasn't worked that well either

Edited by robswfc

56 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Could easily have Wallace in there instead of Abdi, and Fox instead of Reach

Good point.

The midfield we played on Friday should be good enough to adapt to a midfield diamond if a flat 442 isn't working.

Guest wilyfox

Reach, for me. Came on and did very well. Has probably earned a recall. FF, by contrast, has maybe dipped a little again. I always favour form players. 

I'm not sure anyone is saying Reach is better than Forestieri...

We looked more balanced when Reach replaced Forestieri, who had a teenage strop at being subbed, whilst his replacement played an important role in our 2nd goal, and scored the 3rd. For me, Reach has earned a starting place, and Forestieri needs to learn he's part of a team. Combine those two together and I'd start Reach and bench Forestieri.

If Forestieri played at the level he is capable off (not happened much this season) and played for the team, then he'd be in my starting 11 every time.

If ever a thread summed up Owlstalk, this seems to be a pretty good bet. No more than about a week ago Reach was useless and a waste of money, now we're discussing him replacing someone who most would agree has been our best signing in 15+ years lol

I like Reach, but the position is FF's while the team are doing well. I don't agree with some pointing out his lack of tracking back since I'm pretty sure it is under instruction from Carlos to stay forward as an option for a quick out-ball. We all know that he's willing to be one of the hardest workers in the team so criticising him in that regard is uncalled for I think.

7 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Just last week Reach was "never a footballer" people couldn't "actually see what he adds"

He comes on has a big impact, scores a goal and has a big hand in another and suddenly he's a shoe in ahead of FF

Gotta love Owlstalk

We have some incredibly fickle fans. 

Only a a few weeks back after the Huddersfield game, the mood was great. We'd found a great partnership in FF/Winnall, Mcmanaman was amazing and had to play ahead of Wallace, but Reach needed dropping. 

Couple of iffy away games and it's doom and gloom.

Now after beating a depleted Birmingham side, we're amazing and finally found the answer, FF is apparently a winger but should be dropped for Reach, and Wallace is a nailed on starter.

I can't keep up.

2 hours ago, Savo said:

Play FF on the right and Reach on the Left.  Get them staying out wide and getting crosses in for Rhodes and Winnall.  We have a strike pairing that thrive on balls into the box we need to start feeding them and for me we can only do that if we have a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right.    

Under the Carlos system the full backs do the crossess but the wingers cut inside.

HENCE.

Winnall''s  goal from a Hunt cross

Reach''s goal cutting inside 

Please pay attention. 

Essential Hutch reinforces the defence while this is happening though.

Watched the replay and FF played much better than most think. Set up Winnall twice with glorious chances. Reach us not a left winger either only looked good Friday cutting through the centre with decent pace compared to tiring players. FF has to start when fit he's different class .

40 minutes ago, ramone said:

Did you think during the game, whilst at the ground, that he was shirking his defensive duties or did you think that when you got home and watched the game back? 

100%.

Carlos obviously saw it too, hence the change. And he was at game, just in case you were wondering.

Every attack that came down our left Morgan Fox was being doubled up on. A prime example was when Nsue hit the bar/post in the first half - when that ball came all the way over to the back stick FF should have been there helping out, but he was mooching back from halfway watching on.

3 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Reach has been slated on here all season.

Amazing so many people want him to start.

I'd go with FF to try and get at them early, FF has more ability to unlock their defence.

Just because some have been slating Reach doesn't mean we all have.

Some of us have tried to defend him and point out the positive contributions he's made, for what it's worth...

58a1c871e7d32_P*ssingInTheWind.gif.dc97c1b211c0e38ca0839bb65d185bf5.gif