Reach or FF tomorrow night?

FF, like the rest of the team, is getting used to playing in a new system. He is one of the best players in this league, ask any other champ manager.

Its a different approach playing with 2 out and out strikers. He will work out his role given time .

Just keep believing in the bloke,  he is class.

14 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

Considering most wanted Fernando moved left at expense of Reach in the build up to Birmingham, im sure a good number of those wanting him back in are the same who wanted him out. Sadly I don't have time to check each persons post history to give figures.

The key word is dropped. If you drop someone you don't instantly recall them just because hey have one good thing p minute game & his replacement doesn't do great in that one game. The replacement gets a few games to make it their position.

I'm not sure why people are saying Fernando had a poor game. He didn't. Neither did he have an amazing game. If he hadn't got upset coming off I doubt people would even be criticising his performance.

I think Owlstalk can tend to distort things like that, though - you get a small band of fans who bang on about an issue long enough and loud enough that it can start to seem like the whole fanbase share their way of thinking.

In reality, there's probably a quiet or silent majority on here who have long grown tired of having the same debates again and again and just let them get on with it. Then when you factor in that the vast majority of fans who sit in the stands of Hillsborough haven't even heard of Owlstalk, you can see how easy it is to get caught up in our little bubble on here.

I agree on your second point, though - I expect Carlos will start with Forestieri on the left again, but those who scoff at the very idea of Reach challenging for the spot in which he's done well enough all season are misguided in my opinion. Forestieri's performance against Birmingham wasn't poor, but it wasn't what we know he's capable of, and it wasn't a marked improvement on what Reach has shown thus far - in fact in some aspects it was worse, and it gave Reach a golden opportunity to impress from the bench. If he doesn't improve on that showing, then I expect Reach to re-take his starting spot before too long.

As I say though, it's a good problem to have: whoever gets the nod in a particular game knows that they have another quality player waiting on the sidelines, ready to take their place. 

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think Owlstalk can tend to distort things like that, though - you get a small band of fans who bang on about an issue long enough and loud enough that it can start to seem like the whole fanbase share their way of thinking.

In reality, there's probably a quiet or silent majority on here who have long grown tired of having the same debates again and again and just let them get on with it. Then when you factor in that the vast majority of fans who sit in the stands of Hillsborough haven't even heard of Owlstalk, you can see how easy it is to get caught up in our little bubble on here.

I agree on your second point, though - I expect Carlos will start with Forestieri on the left again, but those who scoff at the very idea of Reach challenging for the spot in which he's done well enough all season are misguided in my opinion. Forestieri's performance against Birmingham wasn't poor, but it wasn't what we know he's capable of, and it wasn't a marked improvement on what Reach has shown thus far - in fact in some aspects it was worse, and it gave Reach a golden opportunity to impress from the bench. If he doesn't improve on that showing, then I expect Reach to re-take his starting spot before too long.

As I say though, it's a good problem to have: whoever gets the nod in a particular game knows that they have another quality player waiting on the sidelines, ready to take their place. 

Agreed. 

FF to start for me, he knows whats required and if he doesnt perform his place is in jeapordy, its up to him, i would also give Bannan a rest and start Abdi, if hes fit its the perfect chance for him, Sasso also to keep his place in the starting line up.

Almost guaranteed Blackburn are gonna try and sit back and frustrate us tomorrow night. Irrespective of form I have far more faith in FF to provide that bit of magic to unlock their packed defence. Feel Reach would be far better utilised off the bench tomorrow night and then to start Saturday against a slightly more offensive forest team. 

6 minutes ago, MightyOwl said:

Almost guaranteed Blackburn are gonna try and sit back and frustrate us tomorrow night. Irrespective of form I have far more faith in FF to provide that bit of magic to unlock their packed defence. Feel Reach would be far better utilised off the bench tomorrow night and then to start Saturday against a slightly more offensive forest team. 

Interesting. Will Blackburn sit back?  Weve struggled breaking teams down who do but struggled even more with some teams whove gone for us. 

Difference now is that we can attack from diagonal crosses to Rhodes and Winall if teams do sit back.

How good are Blackburns centre halfs? 

4 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Interesting. Will Blackburn sit back?  Weve struggled breaking teams down who do but struggled even more with some teams whove gone for us. 

Difference now is that we can attack from diagonal crosses to Rhodes and Winall if teams do sit back.

How good are Blackburns centre halfs? 

My pal Pete The Miller said they sat in on Saturday at their place 

He reckons we'll beat em by about 4 or 5 goals 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Totally disagree with this. He's our one special player who can do something magical, which is EXACTLY what we need in these last 16 games. I prefer him up top but there or on the left we have to have him in the side.

Out of curiosity who are the three you rate above him ?

There is no question imo he has dropped down our most important player list. This season, Westwood, Loovens, Lees, Hutch, Lee, and now certainly Rhodes are more influential.

Last year he was ahead of all of them, in my view.

He has what it takes to get near the top of that list again though.

Rhodes is now the best player we have, whereas Hutchinson is our most important. 

Forestieri is a talent but he is no longer indispensable to us like last season. think him being brought off for Reach on Friday when he was probably expecting to go back up front surprised him.

But like Reach showed good players respond when questions are asked of them.

So expect Forestieri to shove the fact we no longer think he's our best player back down our throats when he plays next.

7 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

I've  seen similar comments to what you're saying Dagmeister but I would ask you, do you think it's realistic to say a player can over perform for a full season? I'll be the first to say a player can have two or three good games and then disappear from sight or never show again but I can't see how terrific performances over a season when you're targeted as well can be a fluke or temporary no way over a season.

As Carlos said "we've been offered 5 times what we paid for him" that's his value and its way and above anything else we have on show. Reach as you rightly say may one day be a more than prized asset but he's got mile and miles to go to do it and in his short career with us he's not in any way been consistent so there's no evidence to say he will based on fact.

What I would say is that he was a £3m player when we bought him and he wasn't an emerging youngster.  Last season he looked way better than that. This season not so (IMO). We know from the Rhodes saga that you can take what Carlos says with a pinch of salt when it comes to fees. He's canny in that respect. Now of course someone conceivably could have offered £15m if the reported purchase fee is correct; Personally I'd be surprised if this sort of cash would be offered on this season's showings though.

My assessment on Reach is indeed just my opinion so like most stuff posted cannot be called fact. It's looking into the future after all and time will be the arbiter. FF may recapture last season's stellar and consistent form. I hope so.  

I'd start Reach, we played better when he came on. He did everything Forestieri didn't do (the forward and defensive roles) and got a goal which was a bonus.

It shows how far we’ve grown as a squad when our success is no longer reliant on him and that can only be a good thing. 

Carlos has had the bottle to drop Forestieri before, will be interesting to see if he does so again.

9 minutes ago, swfcmonkey said:

FF must start. 6 weeks ago you wouldn't have dropped him so why now? 

Having said that i don't think CC will start with him. 

Because we hadn't signed Rhodes and Winnall six weeks ago, so Forestieri was a shoe-in for a starting berth upfront.

He's now competing with a much stronger pool of strikers or an already strong pool of midfielders, which can only be a good thing.

I actually think Forestieri will get another chance tonight, probably on the left of midfield again. However, Reach has done nothing to deserve being dropped and looked very impressive for half an hour on Friday night, so Forestieri will need to find his form quickly if he's to hold onto the shirt.

16 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Totally disagree with this. He's our one special player who can do something magical, which is EXACTLY what we need in these last 16 games. I prefer him up top but there or on the left we have to have him in the side.

Out of curiosity who are the three you rate above him ?

1. Lee

2. Hutchinson

4.Westwood

3. Lees

5. Forestieri

That's my top five Wednesday players in order of how important I think they are.