Reach or FF tomorrow night?

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, robswfc said:

we play 352 for part of most games, with Hutch moving back to receive the ball and lees/loovens going wider allowing the full backs to push up. so Carlos definitely thinks about it.. Problem at home this season has been simply that teams have played very defensively against us. And we don't make it easy for ourselves by putting players in positions where they're not able to use their talents effectively. We should be looking at attacking from the off rather than worrying too much about their attacking wide players, when its likely Blackburn will come here and leave 10 men behind the ball. Playing Forestieri short and Rhodes long with Winnall also there to head in crosses or win knockdowns will give their packed defence a lot to think about, hopefully too much. Bannan and Abdi will keep it tidy in the middle, and the full backs to bomb up and down. What's not to like?

We found it pretty tough going for 70 out of 90 mins on Friday. Fernando on the left didn't work. Reach on the left hasn't worked that well either

Couple of really good posts robswfc in this thread imo

Westwood

hunt

lees (if fit)

loovens

fox

Macca

abdi

hutch

FF

winnall

Rhodes

Although I like the idea of 3-5-2 to me its the business end of the season with teams like Derby and Norwich not far behind and Leeds and Reading to catch. Lets get the 3 points in a system we know and move on to Saturday. 

Up to the previous game, Reach was a waste of money and not living up to his reputation according to OT.  Comes off the bench against Birmingham and fair enough plays one of his better games and rounds it off with a nice goal.  

All of a sudden he's the bee's knees and FF turns out to be the wicked witch from the South coz he wasn't happy to be subbed how bad is that? Should, be sacked if you ask me.

FF is one if not the most influential player we have he can turn a game in the twinkle of an eye.  To say that Reach is anywhere near his standard is staggering.  Hopefully, Reach will keep improving I have liked him from the start.  But at the moment he should be coming off the bench and not yet being seen as a replacement for FF.  

I'd depends which FF turns up. If it's the one from Friday I'd take Reach. If it's the one from last season or from say Wolves away this term then I'd say FF. I guess at the start of a game even Carlos is in the dark.

Felt a bit sorry for Fox in the first half especially on Friday. Nsue their RB was their biggest attacking threat and although FF came back at times it wasn't with any real purpose. I guess Carlos told him to stay up more when they were attacking but that meant I expected better quality when FF had the ball. 

1 hour ago, owlZfan84 said:

I agree with you mate. That's why I think FF will start tomorrow night. He's still our talisman and match winner. Very harsh on Reach though, as I thought he was superb when he came on. That's the player we paid all that cash for, and it's great to see him starting to hit some form.

Our squad strength is utter madness though. 

It's wasn't all that long ago our midfield consisted of - 

JOC ---Miller---Coke---Soares.

URRRGH.

Even back then we had too many CMs.

26 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

At home, against a team in bottom 3,  after a 3-0 win ??. This is exactly the kind of game FF should be involved in. There's an "argument" (though It'd have to be a good one for me to leave him out) to rest/change away from home now we have the striking options,  but not at home in a game such as this, not for me bud. 

Each to their own mate, repect your opinion, just think Reach is a tad better for Left mid at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Up to the previous game, Reach was a waste of money and not living up to his reputation according to OT.  Comes off the bench against Birmingham and fair enough plays one of his better games and rounds it off with a nice goal.  

All of a sudden he's the bee's knees and FF turns out to be the wicked witch from the South coz he wasn't happy to be subbed how bad is that? Should, be sacked if you ask me.

FF is one if not the most influential player we have he can turn a game in the twinkle of an eye.  To say that Reach is anywhere near his standard is staggering.  Hopefully, Reach will keep improving I have liked him from the start.  But at the moment he should be coming off the bench and not yet being seen as a replacement for FF.  

Agree with all this Holm. I posted in the Reach thread he wasn't a waste of money & that we should give him time but one good performance doesn't put him ahead of FF., No way.

Strength in depth/options on the bench is key now, particularly with signing Winnall & Rhodes (who quite a few on here didn't want to sign lol)

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Reach has looked good when played on the left of midfield all season to me. He tracks back, covers the ground better than anyone else in our team, and has shown some quality on the ball. The thing that he's lacked more than anything is confidence by the look of things - the final ball or shot has often left a lot to be desired.

The debate in this thread is an interesting one, as Forestieri has been playing upfront most of the season, and looking more comfortable than he did on the left against Birmingham in most cases. For the most part, it's not been a question of Forestieri or Reach, but a question of Forestieri or Fletcher, Hooper, João or Nuhiu. Maybe neither Forestieri nor Reach deserve to be dropped, but the same could be said of Winnall and Rhodes after Friday's game. It's a good problem to have.

Definitely agree it's a good problem.

Just really grates me how people want someone dropped but then after a 10 min cameo he is the best thing since sliced bread & they want to drop our best flair player for him. 

I personally think Reach has done ok & kept the balance of the team but wasn't doing enough in attack. If he carries on coming off the bench & having an impact maybe that will change but not after one game.

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, Holmes said:

Good post mate spot on imo.

2 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

Definitely agree it's a good problem.

Just really grates me how people want someone dropped but then after a 10 min cameo he is the best thing since sliced bread & they want to drop our best flair player for him. 

I personally think Reach has done ok & kept the balance of the team but wasn't doing enough in attack. If he carries on coming off the bench & having an impact maybe that will change but not after one game.

It could be that those calling for him to be dropped aren't the same people who rate Reach? Owlstalk isn't a monolithic entity - there are enough disagreements on here to prove that!

Also, Reach is the one who was dropped for the Birmingham game - Forestieri has barely played left midfield all season, and didn't impress there on Friday night. If he's going to take Reach's place, he has to show more than he did in that game. If not, he can always battle it out with Winnall, Rhodes and co. for a slot upfront?

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It could be that those calling for him to be dropped aren't the same people who rate Reach? Owlstalk isn't a monolithic entity - there are enough disagreements on here to prove that!

Also, Reach is the one who was dropped for the Birmingham game - Forestieri has barely played left midfield all season, and didn't impress there on Friday night. If he's going to take Reach's place, he has to show more than he did in that game. If not, he can always battle it out with Winnall, Rhodes and co. for a slot upfront?

Considering most wanted Fernando moved left at expense of Reach in the build up to Birmingham, im sure a good number of those wanting him back in are the same who wanted him out. Sadly I don't have time to check each persons post history to give figures.

The key word is dropped. If you drop someone you don't instantly recall them just because hey have one good thing p minute game & his replacement doesn't do great in that one game. The replacement gets a few games to make it their position.

I'm not sure why people are saying Fernando had a poor game. He didn't. Neither did he have an amazing game. If he hadn't got upset coming off I doubt people would even be criticising his performance.

2 hours ago, parkerowl said:

No he isn't lol

He aint even in my top 3

we can see why he was a 20 game a season man at watford. he's a luxury player that we can't afford in these last 16 games.

Totally disagree with this. He's our one special player who can do something magical, which is EXACTLY what we need in these last 16 games. I prefer him up top but there or on the left we have to have him in the side.

Out of curiosity who are the three you rate above him ?

1 minute ago, Lawrie Madden said:

we didn't have Rhodes for 8 of them and FF played all of them ( i think )

FF is a better player than Reach so is Rhodes Reach misses out for me 

He didn't; he played in seven.

But that's not the point - as you say, we've lost one in ten. Reach was playing in nine of those ten games, so I'm not sure why Forestieri taking his place would be a given, 'Nuff said' and all?

Forestieri has hit higher highs than Reach in the past, but he's got some stiff competition for that left midfield slot if that's where he's going to be playing from now on. We all know how great Forestieri can be, but we've not seen his best too often this season, and he'll have to rediscover his top form if he's to keep Reach out of the team on a consistent basis. His performance there against Birmingham was OK, but probably not enough to keep Reach out for long.

Either way, we can't really lose. It's a far cry from sticking Jérémy Hélan on the left wing and hoping for the best!