Is reach a total waste of money

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

How can I have factual evidence to support an opinion? That's all it is - an opinion. You are welcome to have yours and I respect that. It just so happens not to match mine. 

You reference his loan at Preston - apparently he was exceptionally good there and helped their second half of the season improvement. As yet he has not made such an impact here. 

I shall let you into a little secret about football...

Not all teams are the same you see. Some teams have good players. some teams have average players and some teams have players that are lucky to be playing in the championship for a living.

Based on watching alot of football, I would hazard a guess that adam reach is a better footballer NOW than he was THEN.

Adam Reach to them is what players like Mcgugan where like when he first came. You knew his parent club wasnt too keen but on his day he could be the difference and was really the only player you had that could be the game changer. He was a relative big fish in a prestons small pond. So HE... not his form, HE stood out. It wasnt a period of form.. it was just him. The same now that is being played further back with more ephasis on defensive/cover rather than go bombing forward as with preston.

I would suggest its some underlying problem you have with them personally.. The floppy fringe maybe?... Because to critisize a player for following his managers instructions near to perfect most weeks is just sad. For you mostly.

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Fair comments, but then there were a few of us saying that Hutchinson needed to play in the middle of the park, Carlos disagreed, although to be fair, he eventually came around to our way of thinking. As a manager, you don't always get it right. 

And here we have our very own answer to Brian the blade.

Get thi sen ont phone in fella.

Reach has not been able to play one position on a regular basis which has not helped him, Carlos has used him in number of different roles. Go back and watch last Fridays game he only made one bad pass, that was in the second half. He is just one player out of many in this division who clubs are having to pay over the odds for, its been said before how much he cost is not down to him.

He is one of ours now and we should be encouraging him not making him a scapegoat of the way Carlos wants us to play.

1) It was the club who gave Reach the price tag, not himself.

2) Some fans always have to have a Boo boy, and today it is Reach, yesterday it was Palmer and so on.

I think Reach is, and will be, a good player for SWFC, he is young still and he never hides on the field, always prepared to want the ball.

Just because the team are not playing particularly well at the moment, don't take it out on one player.

17 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

5m seems expensive but in today's market it's the going rate. He will improve and has lots of potential. You can see some auality in there. Whilst I think he is performing ok and not pulling up any trees I beleive there is much more to come from him. Thing is too at his age if he does end up being a flop we will still recieve a decent fee for him if he is moved on.

Agree with this assessment. Reach, however, is being unfairly scapegoated by some fans - reference this thread. Taking the season as a whole, many other players this season have failed to deliver what we know they are capable of ( Pudil, Hunt, Bannon,  Jao and Wallace to name a few), but it seems to be poor old Reach, and Fletch to a lesser extent, who kop for most of the brickbats. Criticism of individual players is every supporter's right, but to suggest Reach is a total waste of money and space is myopic. 

38 minutes ago, Doctor John said:

Agree with this assessment. Reach, however, is being unfairly scapegoated by some fans - reference this thread. Taking the season as a whole, many other players this season have failed to deliver what we know they are capable of ( Pudil, Hunt, Bannon,  Jao and Wallace to name a few), but it seems to be poor old Reach, and Fletch to a lesser extent, who kop for most of the brickbats. Criticism of individual players is every supporter's right, but to suggest Reach is a total waste of money and space is myopic. 

At times, you could even add Forestieri and Westwood to that list of under performing players In fact, it's easier to list those who've maintained standards. Very strange, that so many players collectively suffered similar lapses in form. Having said that, we are still sixth, so what does that tell us. If we have been playing nowhere near last season's standards, how have we managed to maintain our position. It certainly doesn't appear to be a poorer league. 

17 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Please see one of the other threads asking the exact same thing. Save us all some time. There's a small, vocal group of fans that like to boo him, there's a small group of fans that will vocally support him and there's a larger group that are just watching football.

Give the lad a chance, anyone that knows a good footballer can tell he's got talent.

In fact I'd personally put him at almost the exact same status Brunt had with us some times, a few vocal fans slating him all the time despite it being painfully obvious that he had class. Whelan got pelters too and was far too good for us at the time.

I've not once heard anyone boo him, not once so please dont make stuff up.

Why do people feel the need to shoot down people for not rating someone. Its football. It divides opinions. I dont rate him at him. I wont boo him though. If Carlos thinks he adds something to the team then great, he's better qualified than me to make that decision.

I just cant remember him ever doing anything that was good. Oh, other than the equaliser against Preston. But that goal came off the back of one of the most embarrassing individual performances i've ever seen by someone in a Wednesday shirt. 

The lad obviously has ability because we wouldn't break out transfer record for a dud (he says after we did that with Abdi...) but as I say, he needs to show improvement because he wouldn't be in my best XI and if we're being honest, he wouldn't get in anyone's. 

He has been definately playing better the last 3-4 games. The problem is he isn't direct enough and likes to pass it inside to bannan too much, rather than taking his man on and putting crosses in. His work rate is good and better than our other wingers but we do need to be seeing more goals/assists from him soon.

18 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Please see one of the other threads asking the exact same thing. Save us all some time. There's a small, vocal group of fans that like to boo him, there's a small group of fans that will vocally support him and there's a larger group that are just watching football.

Give the lad a chance, anyone that knows a good footballer can tell he's got talent.

In fact I'd personally put him at almost the exact same status Brunt had with us some times, a few vocal fans slating him all the time despite it being painfully obvious that he had class. Whelan got pelters too and was far too good for us at the time.

Sorry but comparing Reach to Brunt is nonsense. Reach hasn't produced one moment of magic like Brunt did for us. I don't think Reach is that type of player though, more of a hard working team-player and should be more consistent. But he doesn't produce that magic and for his price tag I can see why some fans are disappointed in him so far.

13 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Sorry but comparing Reach to Brunt is nonsense. Reach hasn't produced one moment of magic like Brunt did for us. I don't think Reach is that type of player though, more of a hard working team-player and should be more consistent. But he doesn't produce that magic and for his price tag I can see why some fans are disappointed in him so far.

Funny that coz brunt used to get dogs abuse.

Oh dear an anti Reach OP.

First of all he cost £3.8 million not £5 million as I have said on an older thread.

He's a young lad, has some obvious attributes like being a decent athlete, one of the most mobile players in our squad, always puts the effort in, a decent crosser of the ball, he got an important goal at PNE, he's versatile and his generally play is OK if not eye catching. He does make mistakes, the odd pass will go astray and not everything he does is always quite at it. Let's remember he's still quite young, perhaps the fee or at least the perceived fee is affecting him too and he's lacking a bit of confidence just now. Shall we as fans try and build that confidence by supporting him or erode it further by being over critical?

So far overall he has been average but with the attributes he has there is a player there so lets give him time and have some patience. Talking of Brunt I recall "some" of our fans being the same with him when it was clear he had raw talent and required nurturing. I don't think Reach quite has that talent but lets not make that mistake and support the lad.

UTMO!

1 minute ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Oh dear an anti Reach OP.

First of all he cost £3.8 million not £5 million as I have said on an older thread.

He's a young lad, has some obvious attributes like being a decent athlete, one of the most mobile players in our squad, always puts the effort in, a decent crosser of the ball, he got an important goal at PNE, he's versatile and his generally play is OK if not eye catching. He does make mistakes, the odd pass will go astray and not everything he does is always quite at it. Let's remember he's still quite young, perhaps the fee or at least the perceived fee is affecting him too and he's lacking a bit of confidence just now. Shall we as fans try and build that confidence by supporting him or erode it further by being over critical?

So far overall he has been average but with the attributes he has there is a player there so lets give him time and have some patience. Talking of Brunt I recall "some" of our fans being the same with him when it was clear he had raw talent and required nurturing. I don't think Reach quite has that talent but lets not make that mistake and support the lad.

UTMO!

Brunt was so frustrating at times, as if he was on cloud 9, but agree the talent was there, just wanted coaching, Reach should develop into a good championship squad member, not sure about going any higher.

1 hour ago, benni8 said:

I shall let you into a little secret about football...

Not all teams are the same you see. Some teams have good players. some teams have average players and some teams have players that are lucky to be playing in the championship for a living.

Based on watching alot of football, I would hazard a guess that adam reach is a better footballer NOW than he was THEN.

Adam Reach to them is what players like Mcgugan where like when he first came. You knew his parent club wasnt too keen but on his day he could be the difference and was really the only player you had that could be the game changer. He was a relative big fish in a prestons small pond. So HE... not his form, HE stood out. It wasnt a period of form.. it was just him. The same now that is being played further back with more ephasis on defensive/cover rather than go bombing forward as with preston.

I would suggest its some underlying problem you have with them personally.. The floppy fringe maybe?... Because to critisize a player for following his managers instructions near to perfect most weeks is just sad. For you mostly.

No reason to be so patronising - FYI I have watched and played a lot of football too, and I am indeed disappointed in what I have seen so far. That does not make me a blade, or less of a supporter or some kind of idiot that needs talking to like a 5 year old. 

Not going further with conversation if all you are going to do is resort to the above. I am entitled to my opinion, as are you. Let's leave it at that.