Ross Wallace and Glenn Loovens

2 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Christ Loovens holds our defence together and you want him dropping!!!

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Lees plays far better with Loovens besides him. In the early part of the seasons Lees admitted he was playing below par and needed to up his game. Loovens came back and Lees form picked up. Loovens is a pro and very good at this level. He's probably got another year in him if we don't go up.

2 hours ago, tuttuttut said:

And yet Lees looks most comfortable with Loovens beside him, when loovens is missing lees struggles sometimes.

1 hour ago, Mercian Owl said:

He's contributing to far too many clean sheets for my liking!

I notice that none of you have disputed that Loovens is slow, slow on the ball and can't pass that well.. ? Odd that.

14 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I notice that none of you have disputed that Loovens is slow, slow on the ball and can't pass that well.. ? Odd that.

Loovens is slow.

But he is our leader and organiser. As a team we look far better with him in it than not.

Also, his positional sense is fantastic. The amount of times the opposition cross and it is attracted to him like a magnet is ridiculous.

His pace rarely gets exposed because his positional sense is so solid.

The only negative is his questionable injury record. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't even be on the shortlist for replacing/improving upon.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

9 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Loovens is slow.

But he is our leader and organiser. As a team we look far better with him in it than not.

Also, his positional sense is fantastic. The amount of times the opposition cross and it is attracted to him like a magnet is ridiculous.

His pace rarely gets exposed because his positional sense is so solid.

The only negative is his questionable injury record. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't even be on the shortlist for replacing/improving upon.

I did say he did read the game well and he is a good leader in my post  ? Now you agree that he is slow and you say that he is injury prone !! So why be so protective of him ?

I remember hearing this about Worthington for years, also Nigel Pearson.  

Both went on to carry on playing good quality football despite leaving. 

Then I remember some real stalwarts like Viv Anderson who was considered way past it before he joined us.   There was a midfielder I forget his name because I always just called him "Gramps" - I think we got him from Everton, we were on a downwards spiral but he was about 10 years older than anyone else on the pitch, and about 10 times better then everyone else too.....

Age gives as much as it takes away sometimes.

btw if anyone can remember that midfielder......from the dark times when we still had some good players but who mainly didn't want to play for us anymore.....jeesus why can't I remember his name?!    I think it was about the same kind of time we loaned Booth to Spurs (yes, really!!!)

Edited by salmonbones

30 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I did say he did read the game well and he is a good leader in my post  ? Now you agree that he is slow and you say that he is injury prone !! So why be so protective of him ?

Because our defence is a lot better with him in it than without him, He doesn't need pace as he reads the game so well.

If Loovens isn't up to it he will get replaced. At present he is a central part of a defence that keeps a lot of clean sheets.

I've listened to people slag off Hunt and Palmer as useless. Pudil as a waste of space, Loovens slow and past it, Sasso as not fit to even be a squad player.

It's really strange that we keep so many clean sheets and have the 4th best defensive record in the league, I know Westwood and Lees are good but they aren't supermen so the rest of the defence must have some ability.

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

If Loovens isn't up to it he will get replaced. At present he is a central part of a defence that keeps a lot of clean sheets.

I've listened to people slag off Hunt and Palmer as useless. Pudil as a waste of space, Loovens slow and past it, Sasso as not fit to even be a squad player.

It's really strange that we keep so many clean sheets and have the 4th best defensive record in the league, I know Westwood and Lees are good but they aren't supermen so the rest of the defence must have some ability.

I am talking about Loovens specific contribution, not the general play of the defence, of which he is a part. I have not slagged off Hunt, Palmer or Pudl, ever. So far as Sasso is concerned, I have said on many occasions on here, that I rate him. I note you have not said Loovens is not slow, slow on the ball or a poor passer out of defence ? I wonder why ?

1 minute ago, Thewaynesday said:

I think it's mainly 2 reasons ... 

firstly .... his positives vastly outweigh his negatives .

secondly .... most of us are supporters. We support our club and players, we don't just focus on the bad. 

Sorry I don't "just" focus on the bad. I have said that Loovens reads the game well and is a good leader, but that is simply not enough. Your  second point is deserving of scorn my friend. I go to every home game and some away and have supported  Wednesday for over 50 years .No need to be abusive because people don't agree with you

Loovens has to go down as one of our best signings in the last 20 years. Brought in for nothing, almost 100 appearances- many of them as captain.

l've seen plenty of stats about Westwood and clean sheets- it would be interesting to know how many we've kept when Loovens has played.

1 hour ago, salmonbones said:

btw if anyone can remember that midfielder......from the dark times when we still had some good players but who mainly didn't want to play for us anymore.....jeesus why can't I remember his name?!    I think it was about the same kind of time we loaned Booth to Spurs (yes, really!!!)

Barry Horne?

2 hours ago, salmonbones said:

Jim Magilton?

7 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Because our defence is a lot better with him in it than without him, He doesn't need pace as he reads the game so well.

Memory isn't my strong point, but I'm struggling to remember a game or incident when he was done for pace. Anyone?

We sit in the South, sometimes near the front, and the number of times a long ball is played down our left side with Pudil or Reach out of position, and sure enough Loovens hoves into view and sweeps up the situation with ease.

Cliche time, but he really does play the first five metres in his head. Outstanding player.

Edited by Holmowl

17 hours ago, swfcjack27 said:

Heard plenty in the summer months and after that they weren't good enough for us anymore, too old, legs have gone, need replacing in the transfer window etc etc. These statements are so far from the truth.

Glenn is our captain, our leader at the back, calming influence on others, experienced and just a top class defender at this level.

Ross has a cracking left foot, bags of experience at this level and always pops up for us with a goal or assist when we desperately need someone to and also how many wingers have we signed since he signed thinking he would be displaced and he's still in there scoring and putting performances in. 

Both will be crucial to our chances of making it back to the big time come May, there's life in both of them yet.

Agree about Loovens, but Wallace - aside from his recent goals and a couple of assists - has been poor this season. He has been so ineffectual in some games, it has been like playing with 10 men.

1 hour ago, Doctor John said:

Agree about Loovens, but Wallace - aside from his recent goals and a couple of assists - has been poor this season. He has been so ineffectual in some games, it has been like playing with 10 men.

Said it for a long time, Wednesday fans don't appreciate goal scorers bizarre.

His goals in the last 4 games have kept us in the play offs.

Yes - let's drop Wallace & keep Winnall on the bench, who needs goals, vastly overrated are goals.

12 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

I am talking about Loovens specific contribution, not the general play of the defence, of which he is a part. I have not slagged off Hunt, Palmer or Pudl, ever. So far as Sasso is concerned, I have said on many occasions on here, that I rate him. I note you have not said Loovens is not slow, slow on the ball or a poor passer out of defence ? I wonder why ?

I know what you are saying. Loovens may be slow but he does his job well. He is an effective player who brings out the best in those around him. That's why we have the 4th best defence in the league. His passing out of defence isn't an issue, short pass to another player, job done. I know the modern idea is for ball playing centre halves but I would rather have them be effective in defending first.

If we go up Loovens might need to drop to squad player but in this division he is very capable. I think he's got another year in him.

5 hours ago, prowl said:

I know what you are saying. Loovens may be slow but he does his job well. He is an effective player who brings out the best in those around him. That's why we have the 4th best defence in the league. His passing out of defence isn't an issue, short pass to another player, job done. I know the modern idea is for ball playing centre halves but I would rather have them be effective in defending first.

If we go up Loovens might need to drop to squad player but in this division he is very capable. I think he's got another year in him.

Thanks for a constructive response Prowl. I think he knows his various weaknesses and plays his game with that in mind. As you rightly say, if we get promotion, then the extra quality of opposing players will find him out. I also think that Westwood has a lot to do with clean sheets and I really rate him. Lets hope that the goals against/clean sheets stats continue to impress, no matter what.