We Want Our Carlos Back

Just out of interest.

How we were supposed to play free flowing attacking football on that pitch tonight?

Myself as much as the next fan want to come away from a game having felt it was entertaining but there was a reason both sides didn't look to great with the ball on the floor tonight.

Wigan came into the game with a bit of confidence after back to back wins - never gonna be easy and in the grand scheme of things it was a good 3 points.

3 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Just out of interest.

How we were supposed to play free flowing attacking football on that pitch tonight?

Myself as much as the next fan want to come away from a game having felt it was entertaining but there was a reason both sides didn't look to great with the ball on the floor tonight.

Wigan came into the game with a bit of confidence after back to back wins - never gonna be easy and in the grand scheme of things it was a good 3 points.

We did quite well in the early 90's on pitches a lot worse than that

5 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Just out of interest.

We've not played free flowing attacking football all season and most pitches have been spot on so can't really use that excuse

Edited by smithyswfc

47 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

We looked like a team in a relegation battle

What's happened to our cavalier attitude?

Come on Carlos, give us our Carlos back

That's the puzzle, makes me wonder if all these players getting pay rises/coming in on more money has really upset the camp more than we know?

3 minutes ago, smithyswfc said:

We've not played free flowing attacking football all season and most pitches have been spot on so can't really use that excuse

Perhaps the instruction is to play a different way and to achieve 3 points in a different way - does it have to be a free flowing attacking game in order for the 3 points to be more 'real'?

57 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Carlos has seen how Burnley, Middlesboro, and Hull got out of the division last year, they often ground out results, and some of their performances weren't pretty

Think there is a lot of truth in that.

The man was heartbroken last season. I do think there might be a case of putting on the armour and not wanting that heartache again.

Thing is......We won't know if it's the right choice until the end of the season.

If we do go up then he'll feel vindicated in making that change. Whatever we think about style..

51 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

Leeds this season look like how we did last season, this season we look like we're trying to be like last season Boro.

Then look on the positive side.

Using this correlation  as the Championship algorithm..that would mean....

L**ds are going to have play off heartache ....followed by a season of Monk shutting up shop and boring them to death.

Sounds good to me!

Even better if it was us that 'did a Hull' on them in the final

9 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

Perhaps the instruction is to play a different way and to achieve 3 points in a different way - does it have to be a free flowing attacking game in order for the 3 points to be more 'real'?

No but do you really believe we'll keep winning playing like that, going 1 nil up and playing defensive.

Several references to how Burnley, Middlesbrough and Hull ground out results last season and how we played free attacking cavalier football and how we need to learn from that. They got promoted we didn't, hence perhaps, Carlos's change of style.

Last year Burnley scored 72 goals, Hull 69 and Wednesday 66. True Middlesbrough scored less, 63, but whereas we conceded 45 they conceded 31. All teams have to grind out results in tough games occasionally but to get promotion you must be prepared to attack. At the present rate of just over a goal per match we will end up with about 55-56 goals, far fewer than teams in the mix last season. On top of which we are losing our reputation as an entertaining team to watch, not surprisingly IMO.

2 hours ago, smithyswfc said:

No but do you really believe we'll keep winning playing like that, going 1 nil up and playing defensive.

Do you really think it's just down to how we set up and isn't influenced by how the opponent sets up in a game?

Have a look in the player ratings thread 1st page - no i don't believe we'll keep hanging on to 1-0 wins.