Poll: Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Sasso
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Wallace
    • Jones
    • Bannan
    • Rhodes
    • Forestieri
    • Reach
    • McManaman
    • Abdi
    • Semedo

Just got up , got back home about midnight ,got pi$$ wet through walking back to car ,  heres my take on it

Westwood   6    Did what he had to do OK

Hunt   3   Dreadful

Loovens   6   Did OK

Sasso   5   Couple of decent runs , but looks like a car crash waiting to happen defensively

Pudil   4   Looks a pale imitation of last seasons player , why drop Fox after what most people said was a decent debut.

Wallace   4    Completely anonymous , gets an extra point for goal

Bannan   6   Not at his best but grafted and had to being as he was doing the job of two men , which brings me to

Jones   3   Horrendous..........Christ he stank the place out.....someone earlier said hes there to "break things up".....but that's just it , HE DOES`NT. All he does is sit in front of the back four and occupies space , while the beard stroking football sophistos say "he does a vital job". NO HE DOES`NT.  Barely won a tackle all night , dreadfully slow and his distribution was pitiful.................I thought we had re signed Steve Adams !!!!      Please tell me this isn't all he offers because on last nights display he is not a patch on Semedo never mind Hutchinson.

Reach   3    Oh dear...................look at the king , the king , the king.   The lad is technically decent but is awfully weak , wasted the ball continually and looks like a stiff breeze would knock him over......hope to God I am wrong , but the likes of Leeds etc will just swat him aside.  I could handle him being a bit soft if he was making up for it by creating chances and scoring goals , but he isn't.   It really is time  CC swallowed his pride and put him on the bench for a while.

Rhodes   6   Worked really hard and looks a good asset , like Winnall his movement is really good , but anyone playing as a striker for us at the moment has my sympathy as the service they are getting is woeful.  Couldn't believe CC didn't bring Winnall on for last 15 mins as Jordan was blowing out of his jacksy

Forestieri   6   See Rhodes

Mcmanaman   5    Looked lively and direct with the TWO times we managed to get the ball to him out wide , set up a lovely chance for Reach who squandered it.

Semedo and Abdi   5   Decent little cameos

OVERALL

Awful , awful performance , just glad we scraped the win , we were so bad but thankfully Wigan were marginally worse.

For the first time last night I sensed some anger amongst the supporters , don't know if it came across on TV but there were several chants of attack , attack , attack and a lot of grumbling about how sick people are of the way we are setting up at the moment.

Carlos has a big job on his hands now , if we are not careful this could start to unravel , enough is enough , he needs to start utilising the undoubted ability we have in the squad a lot more (Abdi , McManaman , Winnall , Buckley , etc )  and given the fact that we have possibly the best collection of strikers in the division , he needs to take the shackles off and start ATTACKING sides again , move  FF out left and play two strikers , especially at home.

We were chatting to two Wigan fans in the pub beforehand who said they were dreading facing Winnall and Rhodes together and we all just starting laughing saying don't worry , that wont happen.

The play offs are still very much do able but our whole body language as a team HAS to change , opponents need to start fearing us again.

Didn't finish work til 8:30 so watched it recorded on sky without knowing score / team line up etc. 

It wasn't a comfortable game, it was 3 points, but really we should be winning these games with 3-0 score lines if we're challenging for Prem. 

no one really stood out - but I did love the love for Semedo. The fans did not stop singing his name 

Westwood 7 - made the saves and catches as expected. 

Hunt 4 - clearly had instructions to stay back but that hurt the team. 

Sasso 5 - never challenges for a header at all but did ok. Made some bad passing mistakes. 

Loovens 5 - also never goes for headers. A liability waiting to happen. 

Pudil 3 - slow and lacking in form. Offers little. 

Jones 7 - reads the game well and calm head 

Bannan 6 - never wants to kick forward. Loves a Potter sideways pass. 

Wallace 6 - lucky for the goal. Offered little going forward and never tried to get in behind. 

Reach 2 - abysmal. Couldn't pass a ball and regularly put us in trouble. 

Rhodes 7 - you can see his class. Won headers, got an assist and put a shift in. 

Fessi 5 - a lazy game. Surprised people thought he ran a lot as he didn't seem bothered to me. 

Subs:

Abdi 6 - didn't do much. 

Semedo 10 - obviously.  

McMannaman 7 - added a spark

How people see games differently!

I totally disagree with most comments regarding Sasso after last nights game. For me he was one of the better players in a scrappy game!

His ball to Rhodes created the only goal of the game and there were quite a few interceptions he made that were needed. He was also pushing or taking the ball forward which our midfielders were struggling to do. We miss Keiran Lee so much.

56 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

That was absolute garbage and was frankly embarrassing to watch.

Westwood 7 - Not a great deal to do but as ever, called upon when needed

Hunt 1 - Worst player in the league. Why does Carlos keep playing him? Poor defensively and inept going forward.

Loovens 6 - The best of a poor back 4.

Sasso 4 - I can't believe how many of you think he had a good game! He is garbage - why Carlos brought him back is beyond me.

Pudil 4 - Not bad in the first half when the going was easy, but typically, as soon as they started to apply the pressure he looks out of his depth. This has been the story with him all season. Where the hell was Fox? And don't give me that "he played on Tuesday night" crap.

Wallace 5 - Gambled and got the goal so fair play for that. Other than that, pretty poor. I personally think he is a better impact player off of the bench.

Jones 2 - Absolutely appalling tonight. Use of the ball was dire. Why do we need to play this sort of player against such a poor side!?!? Symbolises the negative tactics. 

Bannan 5 - Best of a poor midfield but I didn't think he did enough. He doesn't show for the ball enough and sits far too deep. Has the ability but needs to impose himself on a game more.

Reach 4 - All in all, poor again. He plays with his head down which results in little to no end product the majority of the time. I don't actually think he is a bad player, but he is shoehorned in week in, week out and is taking the place of FF who should be on the left. Reach should be battling it out with Fox for the LB position.

FF 5 - Worked hard but his touch has deserted him recently. Failed to execute simple passes at times. We need him to play deeper and get on the ball more. He is also one of our best tacklers so could do a great job on the left - just like last season.

Rhodes 7 - Worked extremely hard and won nearly every flick on. Fed off of scraps all night. Great header for the goal. Felt extremely sorry for him.

McManaman 7 - Makes things happen. Laid a lovely ball off for Reach (who's shot was pathetic) after great work in the corner. Should be starting,

Abdi 6 - A couple of steady touches but hard to assess really. Should be starting again in my opinion - drop Jones and let's try and dominate a game for a change.

????????????

34 minutes ago, atabor said:

????????????

He is the least commanding CB I've ever seen and for me should be nowhere near the starting 11 - we should have brought in better cover than him. The fact he galloped forward a couple of times (and produced nothing - ok he is a CB, but still, he produced nothing) has clouded what was a pretty poor performance from him. Wigan missed a couple of golden opportunities at the end which got the back 4 out of jail. 

The issue last night was not him though, it was our laboured approach and negative outlook. 

Awful, turgid performance displaying a total lack of confidence from any of our players. 

It was a good result, no doubting that, and had that result and performance came amidst a run of good performances, then I could accept it more readily. But, it's a performance that is becoming the norm. Displays away at Huddersfield & Newcastle are anomalies, these performances are what we are consistently producing. Last nights was particularly poor...against a dreadful, dreadful outfit that wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays. 

I keep saying it, and I'll continue to do so, until something changes...we have a glut of central midfielders (Kieran Lee aside), who are incapable of playing in a two man midfield. We will continue to get overrun, and lose the midfield battle, while ever we continue with a two man midfield. Jones played in a two man midfield last season, but he's a year older (he struggles to cover the ground required), and the other man in that midfield was the brilliant Joey Barton. Abdi needs to play as the attacking, free role in a midfield three, Bannan isn't strong enough or defensively disciplined enough to play in a midfield two, and Hutchinson plays far too deep to be part of a functional, effective midfield two unit. 

Last season, despite lining up in a 4-4-2 as a sorts, we actually played a 4-3-3 in a fashion as Bannan was deployed out wide, but played very narrow and often found himself in the central areas. Also, we had Kieren Lee fit and on form for the majority of last season, who can play effectively in a midfield two. Wigan last night played a 4-2-3-1, but with five central midfielders. They dominated the central areas, but thankfully showed little desire to play on the front foot, and get bodies in the box. As a result, our defence handled any threat they had, very comfortably. 

Westwood - 7 - Snuffed out one of Wigan's  potential opportunities coming out quickly to challenge Morsy. Good handling when required. 

Hunt - 6 - Thought he defended alright last night, but wasn't really tested. 

Loovens - 7 - Steady, comfortable display. 

Sasso - 7 - Considering he gets to play once every three months, thought he played fairly well. Looks shakey with the ball at times, but he's the only centre half who regularly brings the ball into midfield when not under pressure. Nice ball into Rhodes for the 2nd assist for the goal.

Pudil - 6- Again, similar to Hunt. He's nowhere near the level of last season, and attacking wise we saw nothing. But defensively, he wasn't troubled much at all.

Jones - 4 - Looked leggy, uncomfortable on the ball. Possesses a brilliant range of passing, but not once did we see it.

Bannan - 5 - I keep saying it, but he's a big problem to how we play. Gets overrun, doesn't win tackles, and plays too deep most of the time to get the best out of his creativity. Something needs to change, either system-wise or position-wise. 

Reach - 5 - First half was tidy, got in some decent positions, BUT we need more from him. Second half, he was wasteful in possesion, looked rushed, uncomfortable. 

Wallace - 6 - Got the goal, which nudges him up to a 6, but other that than, was a passenger for much of the game. 

Forestieri - 7 - Our best attacking player, but that doesn't say a lot. Worked hard, pressed high, won a lot of balls back. But, didn't see enough of the ball to have an impact.

Rhodes - 5 - Didn't see the ball enough, and often when he did, it was lumped up to him from defence. We need improve our supply to him. Showed a glimpse of his cleverness, in how he beat 6ft6 Burn to the ball to head down an assist for the goal.

Westwood 7 - Brave coming for crosses and commanding as ever 

Hunt 6 - Distinctly Average 

Loovens 7 - Held defence together well 

Sasso 6 - OK to say only 2nd start this season 

Pudil 4 - A shadow of the player last year. Got lucky with goal disallowed 

Reach 6 - Worked hard, poor end product 

Bannan 6 - Not enough penetration from our supposed playmaker 

Jones 3 - WTF!!

Wallace 6 - Still doesn't offer enough but got into good position for goal 

Forestieri 6 - Worked hard and tracked back well. Needs to play on left 

Rhodes 8 - Tireless display and very promising for future.

Macca 5 - Not in the game enough and started on left when should have been on right. Needs starts!!

Well I gave Rhodes MOM on the basis I saw something in his game I had not previously recognised. So intelligent in how he manipulated Wigans central defensive pair, his body shape won him a good few target balls and event though we weren't much of an attacking threat he pulled them side to side, particularly in the first half. His flick on for the goal was first class. So in his first game he reveals a side to his game that we have not seen before.  

32 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Rhodes - 5 - Didn't see the ball enough, and often when he did, it was lumped up to him from defence. We need improve our supply to him. Showed a glimpse of his cleverness, in how he beat 6ft6 Burn to the ball to head down an assist for the goal.

I watched him closely. he made several runs to the front post and got across the defender. Basically he gambled on where the ball would go......and lost.

He's only been with us 3 days and likely has barely been on the training pitch with all the media stuff and such. I'm hoping that with a bit of time together our players will learn where he wants the ball and start to deliver it. Last night he wanted it near the front post where he could get in front of the defender and we were playing it to the back post where he would have had to beat bigger defenders.

This stuff is basic and should come with time. Last night it looked like Rhodes and the team had never played together before, well they hadn't so it wasn't much of a surprise

29 minutes ago, prowl said:

I watched him closely. he made several runs to the front post and got across the defender. Basically he gambled on where the ball would go......and lost.

He's only been with us 3 days and likely has barely been on the training pitch with all the media stuff and such. I'm hoping that with a bit of time together our players will learn where he wants the ball and start to deliver it. Last night he wanted it near the front post where he could get in front of the defender and we were playing it to the back post where he would have had to beat bigger defenders.

This stuff is basic and should come with time. Last night it looked like Rhodes and the team had never played together before, well they hadn't so it wasn't much of a surprise

Early days, and it wasn't the best of games to judge.

But nothing surprised me last night about Rhodes. Looked like he'd got clever movement, and a knack/cleverness about him.

But, as a lot of us have expressed, we never looked like creating anything for him. 

For Rhodes to excel, we, as an attacking outfit, need to play with a freedom that we displayed for the majority of last season.

Loovens was immense, Sasso was good apart from a couple of mistakes and Forestieri was his normal busy self but I have to give it to Rhodes because it was such a promising debut after not playing for such a long time - he obviously looks after himself. Any other day, I would give it to Loovens.