Wigan vsThe Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

2pFX2UE.png         BJyDHtd.png

DW Stadium, Wigan.

19:45 Friday, 3 Feb 2017.

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Wigan's most famous citizen is George Formby, who is currently employed by a local supermarket to operate their cardboard crushing machine. But he was once the most highly paid entertainer in the entire world, earning an astonishing £16, 10 shillings and sixpence a week. 

George appeared in many comedy films in the 1930s, including “Silence of the Lambs” and “Confessions of a Window Cleaner”. His role was always the dumbstruck Lancashire gargoyle who, after a baffling turn of events, somehow manages to get the pretty girl at the end.

NH8Ed61.jpg

Most of his work has involved playing the banjolele which is a hybrid instrument created through genetic meddling in the 1910s and singing comedic songs such as the ever popular “When I'm Cleaning Windows”.  Formby never actually worked as a window cleaner but managed to have the BBC ban his song for its raunchy lyrics about catching a glimpse of housewives in various states of nudity. Queen Elizabeth II is the president of his official fan club. She has never cleaned any windows either. It is not known if Formby ever saw her naked.

ryXz5h6.jpg

George's domineering wife, Beryl died in 1960 but even today, her ghost still pesters him to fix the leaky radiator in the spare bedroom. George has no practical knowledge of basic plumbing. He empties the small plastic bowl that was placed under the drip in 1959 about 8 times a day.

In 1968, a fire in the local ladder factory also managed to put the goat skinners out of a work at the shammy leather works next door. Feeling sorry for the now unemployed men, Formby gathered the workers together and announced that he would form them into a football team. 

And that’s how we come to be playing them today!

MATCHDAY THINGS

Official Matchday Pie: Eddie Waring and banana.

Official Matchday Drink: All the Lager.

Official Matchday Song: Pacific Rhythm Combo with "Honkytonk Popcorn...

Wigan could give debuts to eight new signings made on transfer deadline day, including striker Omar Bogle. The Latics had won three games in a row before they were knocked out of the FA Cup by Manchester United on Sunday.

Sheffield Wednesday may give a debut to new signing Jordan Rhodes after he joined on loan from Middlesbrough. Carlos Carvalhal could make changes to the team that drew 2-2 at Bristol City, with midfielder Sam Hutchinson available after suspension.

Gs4v0kg.png Head To Head V1LHByE.png

▪    Wigan have lost their last three league games against the Owls, each by a single goal margin.

▪    Sheffield Wednesday won on their last visit to Wigan in the Championship, thanks to an Atdhe Nuhiu winner in the final 15 minutes.

▪    Wigan are looking to win three consecutive games at this level for the first time since March 2014 (six in a row).

▪    Ross Wallace has scored in two of his last three Championship games, having failed to find the net in any of the previous 25.

▪    In Wigan's last 11 home league games, they've either scored twice (three times) or not at all (eight times).

F2ncYxu.png

KING CARLOS’ PEARLS OF WISDOM

“We are very happy to achieve a player like Jordan, he is one of the top scorers in the Championship in previous years. When a player scores goals, and I like to look to the history of the players, we are happy to achieve one player with this kind of profile because he will upgrade the team. He’s not just a good player to us because he scores goals, he is a team player, he’s ambitious and that is someone we want.

qxqTFju.jpg

He wants a lot to play for Sheffield Wednesday and we are very happy. I must tell you that our chairman is very clever, he is a very successful man in business. He did a fantastic deal to bring a fantastic player to Sheffield Wednesday, in fantastic condition.”

MINTYNESS

1nPAgio.gif

I'd forgo any possible outcome if Tay Tay would invite me for a large helping of her American Pie.

Turning the corner last time 17/12/77 Big Jacks first match in charge Non league Wigan FA Cup, shocking performance from ourselves but Jack slowly got us back on course.

Read an interesting passage in 'The Road to Wigan Pier' George Orwell aka Eric Blair was lodging in a Wigan boarding house. He and other workmen were gathered around the 6-30a.m breakfast table when the Landlady marched through carrying out urine slops in a large chamber pot. It was full to the brim and the lady of the house had her thumb hooked over the top of the chamber pot to minimise spillages. Through the swing door she strode into the kitchen, seconds later she was back with a plate full of bread and dripping, the same thumb nailing the dripping bread to the plate. The men tucked in but George Orwell being of a different class just couldn't handle it. It takes much more than mucking in with the Spanish Civil War and going down the pits or into the factories to be a fully fledged member of the working class.

So as a tribute to George Orwell who tried his best and did indeed attend a match at Hillsborough while he lived briefly at Parkwood Springs....

Come on Wednesday  WAWAW UP THE OWLS GIVE IT TO EM !  

Great OMDT thread Pauli!

you could say it's "turned out nice again"

:stuwinky:

Wigan are way more unpredictable than they were this time last week, all the new signings (if they play) could click together perfectly but I'm hoping its a complete nightmare I'm gonna go 3-1 to The Wednesday with fessi, reach and rhodes scoring.

RELEASE THE LLAMA

TUNABUCKS!? WEVE GOT LOADS

PIGS SIGN THE GIRL FROM HANSON

WEVE GOT MOTHERFLIPPIN' RHODES!

:ghoulguy:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A very good evening to you all, another excellent outing from Pauli in advance of our big night out in Lancashiiiiiiire. 

I have a gut feeling it's going to be one of those games where all people are thinking about is Jordan Rhodes but in reality Winnall will start and Jordan will be coming off the bench due to a lack of match fitness. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but Carlos hasn't made a habit of dropping players in order to chuck new signings straight into the team. I'm safe in the knowledge that Rhodes will be a key member of the team between now and the end of the season and for a long time after that, so no worries there. If Winnall does start then let's hope he can open his goalscoring account in blue and white, perhaps with his aerial prowess or clinical finishing. Similarly let's hope Fox keeps his place after an encouraging debut and begins to make the left back spot his own, while my hopes are high from another positive performance from Bannan. 

We let our defensive solidity slip a little in the last game, but Wigan will have next to no squad chemistry with all the new recruits and in reality just aren't all that good. We should be able to handle them and walk away with an extremely valuable three points - with Derby facing Newcastle any sort of result should have us back in the top 6 by the end of the weekend. 

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Wigan 0-2 Wednesday (Bannan 14, Forestieri 90+1)

Also I don't particularly like watching games on Sky due to their detrimental effect on the game - this game being moved to a Friday is a prime example, but happily tonight's showing is on their free to air channel so I'll be able to kick back in front of the big tele rather than being holed up in front of my computer trying to watch a dodgy stream, without the guilt of paying them any money. Happy days.

Ahhh lovely OMDT 

well, not totally convinced on the pie option if I'm honest Pauli. 

Afternoon all. Hope you're keeping well. Getting over a man-flu so I need this match to get shouting and clear out the bellows. 

Important match this one (thank you Captain Obvious). Really looking forward to seeing Mr Rhodes first appearance in an SWFC shirt, hope he settles quickly and finds his rhythmn.