Everton still keen on signing George Hirst

36 minutes ago, ramone said:

What do you think he's worth?

God knows, whatever anyone's willing to pay. I really don't know how good/promising he is as I've only seen the cameo's for the first team. I suppose if he is as promising as some think £12-15 million wouldn't be unheard of.

1 minute ago, mike312 said:

God knows, whatever anyone's willing to pay. I really don't know how good/promising he is as I've only seen the cameo's for the first team. I suppose if he is as promising as some think £12-15 million wouldn't be unheard of.

Second thoughts, might pay for Rhodes:ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

C-Lewin went for £1.5m and he had played and scored in the English league and for England under 20's (higher level than Hirst). So I'd guess they will try and pay similiar for Hirst. But hopefully the club and Hirst will reject any approaches 

My thoughts exactly. Some of the prices quoted on here are absurd. He's a kid that hasn't played any real mans football whatsoever. I'd be surprised, if we were to sell, that we'd get anywhere close to a 7 figure sum. Calvert Lewin, as much as it pains me, was well through his development when they signed him. 

Signing any youth with no league experience is a gamble. A chance.

Crikey, in our case, signing proven International players ends up being a gamble too for one reason and another!

Any club willing to pay the sorts of fees being banded around on here would want their heads looking at IMO.

30 minutes ago, ramone said:

My thoughts exactly. Some of the prices quoted on here are absurd. He's a kid that hasn't played any real mans football whatsoever. I'd be surprised, if we were to sell, that we'd get anywhere close to a 7 figure sum. Calvert Lewin, as much as it pains me, was well through his development when they signed him. 

This is the nub of it. Whilst it's worth us gambling on his development by rejecting say a £1m to 1.5m offer the scales tip in favour of selling should an absurd offer came in (say £5m plus). We don't know how he'll progress; many youth stars do stagnate and fade. As fans we do look through blue tinted specs and over estimate our players' real value in the market Factor in the name Hirst and it goes into the stratosphere.

35 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Signing any youth with no league experience is a gamble. A chance.

Crikey, in our case, signing proven International players ends up being a gamble too for one reason and another!

Any club willing to pay the sorts of fees being banded around on here would want their heads looking at IMO.

Agreed. Mind you some clubs are getting intoxicated by the Sky money. Madness.

18 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

This is the nub of it. Whilst it's worth us gambling on his development by rejecting say a £1m to 1.5m offer the scales tip in favour of selling should an absurd offer came in (say £5m plus). We don't know how he'll progress; many youth stars do stagnate and fade. As fans we do look through blue tinted specs and over estimate our players' real value in the market Factor in the name Hirst and it goes into the stratosphere.

Chucking in add ons is important too for when he becomes a £30m Man City player and England's number 9 

Edited by Southie_Owl

7 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Agreed. Mind you some clubs are getting intoxicated by the Sky money. Madness.

It would certainly make a pleasant change for us to actually sell a player for over the odds , rather than under. Which seems to have been the way for a very long time.

All those years that debt hung around us like an anchor pulling us down and the sharks swam around any of the rare talent we did have, ready to pick us off knowing our desperation.

Of course, now the boot is on the other foot......it probably will won't see a change.

Teams selling will over charge on account that we are seen as wealthy.

And teams buying will offer peanuts for players under the assumption "They can afford it, they don't need the money"

Obviously everyone connected to Wednesday wants George to following his dad's footsteps and be our next hero but some of the figures being thrown around in here are crazy. £10m, £12m, £15m! He's a kid. He's barely played first team football and when you look at him he's clearly not strong enough yet.

The only way we sell him is if it's for a crazy figure he's clearly not worth and we don't have to do that.

United got £1.5m for Calvert-Lewin - which seemed like an overpay at the time - and he had played and scored in the league and done the same for the England youth teams. The fact United sold was because they had to as they are potless. They have to paper over the cracks as best they can until they get out of that pisspoor league. We are not in that position as we have someone putting money in.

There are also people saying Everton are not a big club. Again, crazy. They have a huge fanbase, sell out a 40k stadium pretty much every week and are in the process of starting to build a new 55k seater stadium in the city centre. They have a very rich owner and excellent facilities. They also have an academy that produces quality first team players.

People need to wind there neck in a bit and realise that he's not his dad yet. He will probably never even get close.