Jump to content

Everton still keen on signing George Hirst


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Holmes said:

 

 

How do you know this?  Are you a coach?  

Do you think he is better than Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Winnall?

 

Sorry but I don't think he is better than them at this stage, neither does Carlos or he would be starting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

Yep I belive so. Ex Everton player.

Among many others.

Everton seem to be collecting quality young players from South Yorkshire.

You are wrong about his agent. Hirst is represented by Doyen, who are hardly short of a bob or two. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, prowl said:

Do you think he is better than Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Winnall?

 

Sorry but I don't think he is better than them at this stage, neither does Carlos or he would be starting. 

 

 

I've never seen him play so not in a position to give an opinion but posters on here who do watch the under 18's and 23's seem to think there are better players than Hirst. 

 

CC Might well think he's better but prefers to save him for later.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There comes a point where the offer may be so good the club can't say no - every player has a price.

 

Though, in fairness, if it was about FFP and getting some money in the pot, would there be an argument to instead just sell a few others?

 

e.g. how much would we collectively receive selling Joao, Nuhiu, McGugan, Wildsmith (do we need him AND Dawson?) and Matias?  £5 mil? Much less than what Hirst would realistically be sold for?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hirst jr isn't going to attract a huge fee. A low seven figure sum isn't going to make much difference to us. Selling would be pointless. Which isn't to say it won't happen but if DC is trying to build a future for the club it won't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

 

Reality of modern day football (and money is the one thing that has created it), Chansiri will have in his mind, based on advice and information from people in the game around him, a plan to get Sheffield Wednesday to the Premier League ASAP. That would include a list of desirable signings. For example, it is quite possible that George Hirst could go on to be ten times the player that Jordan Rhodes is and worth multiples of the fee that Middlesbrough are demanding for Rhodes but, if Rhodes is perceived as the best current bet to get Wednesday to the Premier League in the very imminent future and the way to fund the deal is selling young Hirsty, reality says it would have to happen. 

 

I hope we resist, we are aiming to be a top flight club in the near future, and we will need players like George Hirst. In my opinion, we have enough players around already, who can get us out of this league. If we feel we need yet another, and we can afford it, by all means sign Jordan Rhodes, but certainly not if it means we have to lose one of our brightest young talents.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure it's a question of promotion with Rhodes vs future with Hirst. For me the question should be why sell for (what I'm assuming will be) low 7 figures now when we could sell for low 8 figures in 2/3 years' time? 

 

Lets face it if if he delivers on his promise we can't keep him for ever but we can maximise his value. Over the next three years, particularly if we get promotion his value will go up sharply - why sell an appreciating asset. It's like selling your house just before you know a housing boom is on the way. 

 

Reckon chansiri can see that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

 

I hope we resist, we are aiming to be a top flight club in the near future, and we will need players like George Hirst. In my opinion, we have enough players around already, who can get us out of this league. If we feel we need yet another, and we can afford it, by all means sign Jordan Rhodes, but certainly not if it means we have to lose one of our brightest young talents.

^^^^^^

This, we simply have to resist if we are going to compete at the top which is DC'S vision

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NorthLondonOwl said:

I'm not so sure it's a question of promotion with Rhodes vs future with Hirst. For me the question should be why sell for (what I'm assuming will be) low 7 figures now when we could sell for low 8 figures in 2/3 years' time? 

 

Lets face it if if he delivers on his promise we can't keep him for ever but we can maximise his value. Over the next three years, particularly if we get promotion his value will go up sharply - why sell an appreciating asset. It's like selling your house just before you know a housing boom is on the way. 

 

Reckon chansiri can see that. 

 

It's a fan's view but I suspect it is not the modern boardroom thinking. Gone are the days of gradually building for the future and hanging onto your best young assets. The rewards of reaching the Premier League now are such that it completely overwhelms the thinking of football investors. They will "do whatever it takes" to get there as quickly as possible and worry about the consequences later. It maybe short-termistic but that is what 200 million per season does to mindsets. In an ideal world, you do both. You get there as quickly as possible AND hold onto the best young talent but, if it means selling the best young prospects to fund an assault on promotion, I have a feeling what the outcome would be!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a symptom of nurturing and developing young players and not being at the top level.

 

As soon as one of those players shows the kind of potential Hirst has, the big clubs start circling.

 

Let's just hope the lad wants to stay because ultimately it's this that will decide the outcome of this situation.

 

The dream of being a Wednesday legend like his dad and being on the Wednesday train as we roll into the Premier League will hopefully tempt him to stay!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

 

It's a fan's view but I suspect it is not the modern boardroom thinking. Gone are the days of gradually building for the future and hanging onto your best young assets. The rewards of reaching the Premier League now are such that it completely overwhelms the thinking of football investors. They will "do whatever it takes" to get there as quickly as possible and worry about the consequences later. It maybe short-termistic but that is what 200 million per season does to mindsets. In an ideal world, you do both. You get there as quickly as possible AND hold onto the best young talent but, if it means selling the best young prospects to fund an assault on promotion, I have a feeling what the outcome would be!

 

That assumes that signing Rhodes will fire us into the Premier. His ability to stick the chances away, will obviously assist our promotion push, but perhaps not as significantly as some feel. There isn't much between Rhodes and Hooper, and from what we've seen of Winnall at Barnsley, he isn't far behind. We've yet to see any of them do it in this current Wednesday side. If we can afford to bring in Rhodes, then yes, why not, the more the merrier. If we can't, and it would mean selling young Hirst, then it's a no from me, as I'm not convinced that deal would be in our interests. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

First the stripes, then the badge, now selling George Hirst?

 

I don't know Sheffield Wednesday anymore and it's making me sad. 

 

We've not always played in stripes and we've changed badge many times.

 

We've not sold him yet either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

 

That assumes that signing Rhodes will fire us into the Premier. His ability to stick the chances away, will obviously assist our promotion push, but perhaps not as significantly as some feel. There isn't much between Rhodes and Hooper, and from what we've seen of Winnall at Barnsley, he isn't far behind. We've yet to see any of them do it in this current Wednesday side. If we can afford to bring in Rhodes, then yes, why not, the more the merrier. If we can't, and it would mean selling young Hirst, then it's a no from me, as I'm not convinced that deal would be in our interests. 

 

Well, only the club know the thinking behind a potential bid for Rhodes. I assume that, if they are thinking of spending all of that money, the club's perception of Rhodes must be that he is a necessary piece of the jigsaw to mount a promotion challenge. Football is full of uncertainty and nobody can guarantee that he would.

 

As for George Hirst, all I can say is that Everton have mounted a bid as it is entirely their prerogative to do (a consequence of having talented players is that other clubs will make bids for them and that can only be positive). I have no idea if it is the club's intention to sell or, indeed, whether the sale of Hirst has any impact whatsoever on the bid for Rhodes. All that I am saying is that, if it came to a straight choice between mounting an all out promotion assault or hanging onto the club's best young talent, it is my belief that the drive for Premier League football would very much be the priority even if it meant selling the likes of Hirst to fund it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Animal said:

lockman proved nothing went for 11m give us that and we will be happy.

Disagree with that. Lookman was absolute quality in the Championship for a poor Charlton side (he was the reason that they went 2-0 up against Brighton in about 35 mins last season). I was very surprised that Charlton were able to hang on to him last summer, but not surprised that he scored on his debut for Everton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...