Everton still keen on signing George Hirst

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

How do you know?  

He isn't proven at this level and it's impossible to say how he will develop.

Lookmam cost £10m and there is no guarantee there will be any ROI - it's a punt but clubs are stupid/desperate enough to spend this level of money

If a club is willing to pay massively over the odds on an unproven player based on potential and a handful of sub performances m, they we would be mad not to consider it.

Sorry I should have said 'in my opinion'

The lad is well looked after with us. There are about 30,000 fans looking out for him and wanting the best for him. At Everton he would just be another prospect.

Keep him close, give him the best training and opportunities we can. If in the future he wants to move to a top club to further his career then good luck to him. At present he needs nurturing, we can do that.

We don't need to sell good prospects these days. Let's keep them.

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Sorry I should have said 'in my opinion'

I'd like him to succeed here too - but there is just no guarantee.

Its very tough - young players come through and then often end up going nowhere.

Hirst was an exceptional player - a one off and sadly there is no guarantee George will be as good or as successful. 

But clubs are willing to pay daft sums of money just for the potential - its crazy really but that's football today.

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

The lad is well looked after with us. There are about 30,000 fans looking out for him and wanting the best for him. At Everton he would just be another prospect.

Keep him close, give him the best training and opportunities we can. If in the future he wants to move to a top club to further his career then good luck to him. At present he needs nurturing, we can do that.

Very good points Prowl. The problem is, as I posted, when does that opportunity for him to be playing regularly arise ?

As it stands, he's behind Hooper, Fletcher, Winnall, FF, Joao and big Dave ( although I accept that pecking order might change in the next day or two).

His chances this season appear to be limited, and maybe for next season as well.

He has to start playing soon, so I would rather see him go out on loan, maybe bag a few goals, which will only increase his transfer value.

Otherwise, if the above scenarios play out, and a bid of a few million comes in, then reluctantly, we may have to listen to offers.

Edited by kendoddsdadsdogsdead

7 minutes ago, prowl said:

You don't think he'd be nurtured at Everton? Their facilities and support network will blow ours completely out of the water.

3 minutes ago, Thewaynesday said:

How can they "forces a deal ? 

Couple of seasons ago the lad would of probably been sold already.... luckily we are not that club at all anymore and I can't see Mr C or Carlos letting him go anywhere, even without his dads legacy here he is a hot prospect. 

Reality of modern day football (and money is the one thing that has created it), Chansiri will have in his mind, based on advice and information from people in the game around him, a plan to get Sheffield Wednesday to the Premier League ASAP. That would include a list of desirable signings. For example, it is quite possible that George Hirst could go on to be ten times the player that Jordan Rhodes is and worth multiples of the fee that Middlesbrough are demanding for Rhodes but, if Rhodes is perceived as the best current bet to get Wednesday to the Premier League in the very imminent future and the way to fund the deal is selling young Hirsty, reality says it would have to happen. 

Guest wilyfox

If I were George, I'd be thinking Lookman went from league one to Premier League, debuted straight away for Everton coming off the bench to score. Here, he's 7th in line - and with talk of Rhodes joining. Chance to work with Koeman. Mega contract. Better facilities. Dad in his ear still regretting not making a move to Man Utd. 

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I'd like him to succeed here too - but there is just no guarantee.

Its very tough - young players come through and then often end up going nowhere.

Hirst was an exceptional player - a one off and sadly there is no guarantee George will be as good or as successful. 

But clubs are willing to pay daft sums of money just for the potential - its crazy really but that's football today.

His dad was an exceptional player. So is George for his age, he's scoring for fun whenever and wherever he plays. Of course he might never make it, that happens but if Everton think it's worth a gamble why wouldn't we.

If Milan was here he'd flog him to the highest bidder. Thankfully Chansiri isn't like Milan.

If the lad can develop better elsewhere rather than here maybe we should let him go but I don't think that's the case. Luckily his dad knows football and will look out for Georges best interest.

3 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

If only that were true.

He played for us twice.

First for Big Jack.

Later for Wilko.

But he played for lots of clubs, even the Blades.

it's just you missed the salient point of him playing alongside George's dad  fear the worst if David has given his blessing to this connection

6 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Very good points Prowl. The problem is, as I posted, when does that opportunity for him to be playing regularly arise ?

As it stands, he's behind Hooper, Fletcher, Winnall, FF, Joao and big Dave ( although I accept that pecking order might change in the next day or two).

His chances this season appear to be limited, and maybe for next season as well.

He has to start playing soon, so I would rather see him go out on loan, maybe bag a few goals, which will only increase his transfer value.

Otherwise, if the above scenarios play out, and a bid of a few million comes in, then reluctantly, we may have to listen to offers.

He's not ready for our first team other than a few substitute appearances and the odd cup game.

As you say a loan would be beneficial if it's at the right level, Take it slowly and see how he goes.

I wouldn't sell just for the money, if it's right for his career we may have too but not just to cash in.

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

He's not ready for our first team other than a few substitute appearances and the odd cup game.

As you say a loan would be beneficial if it's at the right level, Take it slowly and see how he goes.

I wouldn't sell just for the money, if it's right for his career we may have too but not just to cash in.

How do you know this?  Are you a coach?  

So in effect, their interest is unsettling for such a young'un, who is new to all this speculation and how it all goes. I don't see this incessant interest in mature players, as much of an issue but I think this kind of "Hounding" via the press, ought to be outlawed for those under 19 at the very least!