Everton still keen on signing George Hirst

There'll be a tipping point where, on the balance of probability (i.e. How likely he is to fulfill his potential) this becomes a good deal for us. 

Will be an interesting test of Chansiri, who doesn't have the emotional attachment to the 'Hirst' name that some us do.

Put yourself in his shoes. Don't think about whether he/we need to sell, but think about It as a need/chance to balance the books re FFP. A large sum for a player that's not likely to be involved for at least 18 months could be of interest to DC, who has a short term goal - promotion asap. We have a 3 year window to get promoted at the current rate we're spending. A good fee for Hirst Jr could extend that by another season.

Throw in the fact Hirst Jr will probably be advised to go (who wouldn't advise him to go when he'll probably get a fat 5 year contract), and the fact we risk losing him for less than may be offered if we decide to play hard ball.

Again, think of this in terms of buying time re FFP rather than needing to sell simply to raise funds. This isn't as simple as 'we don't need to sell because DC doesn't need the cash.'

Just now, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Either sell him or play him. Don't mess him around by stalling his career. 

One sure way of cocking his career up, would be to start playing him now when he's not ready.

I'd like us to keep hold of him if at all possible.

Yes his playing time might well be limited, but I'm sure there will be chances for him. The problem is how long does he have to wait for his chance.

If Everton are serious about him, and we project him to be our main striker 2 to 3 years down the line, then basic economics means we have to sell him. That said, the fee should be a very hefty one, with substantial addons for appearances, representative matches etc.

As to what an acceptable fee would be, well I have no idea, but as a young English striker, with a 1 in 2 strike rate for his appearances in the national teams, I would probably start my valuation at £8 million.

Just now, outlaw pete said:

All this transfer talk could be a ruse by his agent looking for a few quid for himself.

Either to get the lad a pay rise, or his agent is short of a few bob.

GH agent is the same guy who arranged for Richard Woods to move to Coventry.

varadi?

32 minutes ago, Beholder said:

He'll be playing for us in a year so why sell him. 

Unfortunately though everyone has their price. 

Depends how high they are prepared to go. 

Really hope we dont sell him. 

How do you know?  

He isn't proven at this level and it's impossible to say how he will develop.

Lookmam cost £10m and there is no guarantee there will be any ROI - it's a punt but clubs are stupid/desperate enough to spend this level of money

If a club is willing to pay massively over the odds on an unproven player based on potential and a handful of sub performances m, they we would be mad not to consider it.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl