Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

I remember when we played Arsenal on opening day of the season, think it was '92, and we were stood in the kop singing to Seaman 'you'll never play for England' cos we had Chris Woods! 

Spunky just turned round and gave the kop a wry smile.....

Edited by gazzamk2

1 minute ago, gazzamk2 said:

I remember when we played Arsenal on opening day of the season, think it was '92, and we were stood in the kop singing to Seaman 'you'll never play for England' cos we had Chris Woods! 

Played Everton away :biggrin:

Went slowly downhill in his time here.

By the time Pressman replaced him after the 4-2 away at Newcastle he was well past his best. I also detected that he played badly with Des Walker - they always struggled to play together for England, was no different with us and I think that's one of the reasons why Woods was dropped relatively early into 93/94.

20 hours ago, MBMitchell said:

Or if hadn't been frosty that week when cantona joined us, or hirsty didn't like to drink and smoke in the whispers,or Williams was bright,or the pitch didn't slope or whatever 

We weren't but to slate an england international goalkeeper, who saved us on many many occasions, just for the sake of it, I will never agree with 

Hahahaha Matt you kill me...btw Neil was right not giving you a log in lol 

On 1/24/2017 at 20:03, MBMitchell said:

As a massive Chris Woods fan, I hate the negativity about him. Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake its a goal. What about when brighty shinned it onto the post.

Unfortunately he didn't play well in the derbies and that's all weds fans remember. Pressman wasn't anywhere near a better keeper but he did play well against the oinkers and unfortunately that is what Wednesday fans remember

I went to see a pre season against Macclesfield and I think pressman is still falling for the ball..... The game had kicked off by the time he hit the ground he was that slow

Springetts were before my time, but maybe hodge was better, but between woods and pressman no comparison

Oh and this singing seamen's praises, obviously weren't at the game were we sang let's all do the seamen and flap our arms about, if I remember correctly shafting us vs Holland......

It wasn't just the Holland game where Seaman dropped a clanger (when everyone but him knew where Koeman was going to put his free kick)....Nayim in the Cup Winners Cup final for Real Zaragosa, Ronaldinho in the WC quarter final to name but two. Typical Owlstalk though, criticise our players for the odd mistake (and yes I know they were high profile) yet we praise other teams players despite these flaws!

As a side note, if Bright hadn't missed the open goal, I don't think the game would have gone to extra time and Arsenal were very wobbly and we'd have won in normal time......does Bright get the same criticism for this and the many other sitters he missed?

Ron Springett was the best goalkeeper we've ever had and 

Gerry Young (who played around the same time) was the best left half (no 6)

we ever had.

In his professional career, Gerry only ever mis-trapped the ball once whilst

covering for a 16 yr old lad called Sam Ellis drafted in for the injured

Vic Mobley at Wembley.

There you go MB ... don't say we don't educate on this board.

Haha but that's the point I don't know about those except for what I've seen on TV so I won't pass comment on players I know nothing about

Hence the point I was trying to make earlier

You may have gathered woods was my hero though :]

I hold my hands up ( if only Chris woods had in 93) he made some bad high profile errors but let's not forget than man.ure goalies errors,beasant who at a time was a great keeper and any keeper I can think of has made amazingly bad blunders, even golden balls kieron and Joe this season..... I remember being at the walkers stadium and I've forgot who was in goal and he kicked fresh air.....

Edited by MBMitchell

6 hours ago, gazzamk2 said:

Must have been a different game we didn't play arsenal opening game of season whilst woods was there.

50 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

Haha but that's the point I don't know about those except for what I've seen on TV so I won't pass comment on players I know nothing about

Hence the point I was trying to make earlier

You may have gathered woods was my hero though :]

I hold my hands up ( if only Chris woods had in 93) he made some bad high profile errors but let's not forget than man.ure goalies errors,beasant who at a time was a great keeper and any keeper I can think of has made amazingly bad blunders, even golden balls kieron and Joe this season..... I remember being at the walkers stadium and I've forgot who was in goal and he kicked fresh air.....

It was the South African (I think) lad - Evans? Who kicked fresh air at Leicester. We were one nil up from a McLaren free kick. They were top we were bottom(ish).

one of the best away support games I've ever been too. The wednesday fans were fantastic. 

Real wounder when they equalised and a lad we had on loan up front missed a sitter at the end. Can't remember his name, bit of a unit (want so say Brett angel but it wasn't???). 

Edit: lee Bradbury! missed a header at back stick last minute 

Edited by ka58