Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

8 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

I take it you are on about 5 foot 8 turner

One amazing save from mcclair doesn't make him great, he was a good keeper but that's it

Surely you aren't on about pressman, he wasn't good enough then, if he ever was.....

You must have the wrong bloke. Our Chris Turner was 5' 10" same as Ron Springett the pair of them remain the only two keepers to gain runners up or major honours awards for the Owls in any of the last 87 years. Do you mean that Chris Turner ?

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Cost us the cup final in 93

cost us at least 2 games v United

never came off his line

had a blanket over his legs when sub v Hartlepool

you can make your own mind up what I thought of him....but as a little clue he'd be the keeper in my all time xxxxx Wednesday XI in which Nuhiu would be the centre forward

You kept me hanging there Ian... thought you'd actually managed a post without a dig at Nuhiu, but no, there it was hiding at the end :stuwinky:

10 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

I take it you are on about 5 foot 8 turner

One amazing save from mcclair doesn't make him great, he was a good keeper but that's it

Surely you aren't on about pressman, he wasn't good enough then, if he ever was.....

now if you don't rate pressman fair enough but to question that pressman was ever good enough is a bit odd ..over 400 games for us picked by a whole host of different  managers ,20 years at the club ,England b appearances and took a mean penalty ....I don't think you'll find to many who'll agree with you .

Just now, torryowl said:

now if you don't rate pressman fair enough but to question that pressman was ever good enough is a bit odd ..over 400 games for us picked by a whole host of different  managers ,20 years at the club ,England b appearances and took a mean penalty ....I don't think you'll find to many who'll agree with you .

I was on about 1991 when we signed woods tbf as people stated we didn't need him, as we had better already and pressman wasn't ready back then and turner was past his Best

England b appearances, well obviously england managers didn't have the same faith as Wednesday managers but they had more to pick from

What about woods england a caps.... Do they not count

And ffs he can take a penalty, so could weaver, but he was employed to stop them 

I feel like I'm talking a foreign language tonight

Neils done well as he knows this is a moot point

People saying pressman's better etc and he got b caps, and played well against them, and didn't drop the ball at Wembley..... Err I must not have been at the Game when he was the second ever fastest player to be sent off

Or when the ball had hit the net before he fell on the spot he was actually stood on

Now I don't accept people will ever change their minds about woods, and I use to joke that it was Hyde's fault for kicking it in the net, but come on seriously we wouldn't have finished 3rs that year with pressman or turner in the net FACT

1 minute ago, MBMitchell said:

I was on about 1991 when we signed woods tbf as people stated we didn't need him, as we had better already and pressman wasn't ready back then and turner was past his Best

England b appearances, well obviously england managers didn't have the same faith as Wednesday managers but they had more to pick from

And ffs he can take a penalty, so could weaver, but he was employed to stop them 

People saying pressman's better etc and he got b caps, and played well against them, and didn't drop the ball at Wembley..... Err I must not have been at the Game when he was the second ever fastest player to be sent off

Or when the ball had hit the net before he fell on the spot he was actually stood on

Now I don't accept people will ever change their minds about woods, and I use to joke that it was Hyde's fault for kicking it in the net, but come on seriously we wouldn't have finished 3rs that year with pressman or turner in the net FACT

We could've been Champions if Woods hadn't dropped so many clangers  :columbo:

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

We could've been Champions if Woods hadn't dropped so many clangers  :columbo:

Or if hadn't been frosty that week when cantona joined us, or hirsty didn't like to drink and smoke in the whispers,or Williams was bright,or the pitch didn't slope or whatever 

We weren't but to slate an england international goalkeeper, who saved us on many many occasions, just for the sake of it, I will never agree with 

1991 / 1992 season he had a mare against utd at the sty! I was in their home stand and ran to the front of it as the players came off and shouted "woods that was a f***kin' s*it performance" only to be reprimanded by a member of SYP who gave me a bit of a reprimand for swearing and then said " you're right though" - I didn't hang around after the end of the return match at Hillsborough where he was even worse!

21 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

Could be wrong,as its a long time ago didn't he suffer from concussion that game....

I'll apologize if wrong just my memory ....

I do seem to remember that at one point he had a problem with the fluid level in one of his ears which affected his balance and perception. 

7 hours ago, MBMitchell said:

thats not a FACT that's just your opinion .

13 hours ago, MBMitchell said:

As a massive Chris Woods fan, I hate the negativity about him. Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake its a goal. What about when brighty shinned it onto the post.

Unfortunately he didn't play well in the derbies and that's all weds fans remember. Pressman wasn't anywhere near a better keeper but he did play well against the oinkers and unfortunately that is what Wednesday fans remember

I went to see a pre season against Macclesfield and I think pressman is still falling for the ball..... The game had kicked off by the time he hit the ground he was that slow

Springetts were before my time, but maybe hodge was better, but between woods and pressman no comparison

Oh and this singing seamen's praises, obviously weren't at the game were we sang let's all do the seamen and flap our arms about, if I remember correctly shafting us vs Holland......

Hi Chris.

17 hours ago, MBMitchell said:

Or maybe I should say Gerry young was our worse center half after all, all I remember is his great ball control.....

Just for the record. Gerry Young never played at centre back. he was a left half or for a few matches a centre forward, but never a centre half.

Made some good saves as do all keepers. Bottled the big occasion time and time again ie; cup final, every blades game, cup game V Southampton (we were the holders at the time). Most overrated player in my time imo. If anyone has the 92/93 season review, watch it and count how many points he cost us, enough to win the league.