Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

1 minute ago, MBMitchell said:

As a massive Chris Woods fan, I hate the negativity about him. Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake its a goal. What about when brighty shinned it onto the post.

Unfortunately he didn't play well in the derbies and that's all weds fans remember. Pressman wasn't anywhere near a better keeper but he did play well against the oinkers and unfortunately that is what Wednesday fans remember

I went to see a pretty season and I think pressman is still falling for the ball..... The game had kicked off by the time he hit the ground he was that slow

Springetts were before my time, but maybe hodge was better, but between woods and pressman no comparison

Oh and this singing seamen's praises, obviously weren't at the game were we sang let's all do the seamen and flap our arms about, if I remember correctly shafting us vs Holland......

Woods was a terrible keeper for us and not just in the games you highlighted. There was many a Saturday when I was cursing that plank after yet another blunder. As others have said the money could've been spent better elsewhere.

2 hours ago, trotter said:

He was terrible on crosses. Lee Chapman scared him to death. 

Lived on his reputation for too long and kept Pressman out of the side for far too long. 

Fair enough! I seem to remember him being good at smacking them away (not so much the catching) but yeah I'm probably remembering it a bit hazily through the fog of 25+ years WTF: ...was only a nipper!

Edited by Mr. Tom

21 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

When owls fans talk about Chris Woods, they only talk about a couple of high profile errors that he made and forget about the number of faultless displays he made for Wednesday whilst racking up numerous England caps.

It's also worth remembering that back when Woods was playing, he was beating off competition from a number of top flight English keepers including Seaman, Flowers, Martin, Lukic, Cotton, James, Walker, Tracey and Beasant. It wasn't like nowadays when all you have to be is English and a Keeper in the top flight to get a cap, Woods had REAL competition for his place and the fact that he got so many caps is testament to his ability.

For me Chris Woods was a top class keeper.

He was good. 

But given the keepers we'd already got on the books, I still think that had we spent that £1.2m on a striker we'd have won the league. 

As for the England thing 40 odd caps over ten years. Fair play to him. 

Apart from our disastrous 92 Europeans though when push came to shove Spunky showed himself the better player. 

I daw him have some good games. I really did. 

I just think that Rangers saw an excellent deal and Trevor had a simplistic view of football that meant  signing any player who'd ever had a cap for any country would mean they were ace. 

2 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Not a bad shot stopper

With Wednesday keepers I've seen I'd put him behind Boulder, Hodge, Turner, Pressman, srnicek, grant, Westwood and probably five or six others I've forgotten.

we called him Dracula because he was scared of crosses

Woods is better than Srnicek RIP, the bloke couldn't catch a ball. Constantly palmed it back into play, which ultimately landed at the opposition striker 

13 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

As a massive Chris Woods fan, I hate the negativity about him. Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake its a goal. What about when brighty shinned it onto the post.

Unfortunately he didn't play well in the derbies and that's all weds fans remember. Pressman wasn't anywhere near a better keeper but he did play well against the oinkers and unfortunately that is what Wednesday fans remember

I went to see a pre season against Macclesfield and I think pressman is still falling for the ball..... The game had kicked off by the time he hit the ground he was that slow

Springetts were before my time, but maybe hodge was better, but between woods and pressman no comparison

Oh and this singing seamen's praises, obviously weren't at the game were we sang let's all do the seamen and flap our arms about, if I remember correctly shafting us vs Holland......

Hello Chris.

7 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Hello Chris.

As the original member number 2 to this site way back when, I had to get a new log in Neil was being  a wee wee tail as per normal

Anyway, my time on here isn't the point.

All I know is that play well against the grunters and you're a hero...... After all in the Wednesday album isn't there an Andy Pearce song ffs

I decided 20 years ago I'd stop defending woods as the morons who hounded him.out for his embarrassing star jump against west ham I think, cost him his place

If only I'd got a pound every time pressman got beat on his near post and nothing was shouted. But see my reference re derby gamrs as the reason why

Sadly we were obsessed with how we played against them.....

Edited by MBMitchell

I though he was gash, but I was a kid and only remember him doing doing jazz hands and costing us the cup.

Also, I loved big fat kev, partly cos he signed my programme at a charity cricket match back in the early 80s, but more so, cos he took the best penalty I have ever seen.

1 minute ago, MBMitchell said:

As the original member number 2 to this site way back when, I had to get a new log in Neil was being  a wee wee tail as per normal

Anyway, my time on here isn't the point.

All I know is that play well against the grunters and you're a hero...... After all in the Wednesday album isn't there an Andy Pearce song ffs

I decided 20 years ago I'd stop defending woods as the morons who hounded him.out for his embarrassing star jump against west ham I think, cost him his place

If only I'd got a pound every time pressman got beat on his near post and nothing was shouted. But see my first paragraph as the reason why

Sadly we were obsessed with how we played against them.....

Chillll Winston, was just a joke.

2 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

I though he was gash, but I was a kid and only remember him doing doing jazz hands and costing us the cup.

Also, I loved big fat kev, partly cos he signed my programme at a charity cricket match back in the early 80s, but more so, cos he took the best penalty I have ever seen.

So basically you know bobbar.....

Cool story bro

Maybe one day I'll pass my opinion of Ernest blenkisopp

Bell end 

16 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

You're passing judgement on something you have no knowledge of, hence me talking about Gerry Young's massive error...

I don't because I don't know

Is it that hard to understand.....

And you wonder why Neil don't want you on here?

Shitcunt.

Cost us the cup final in 93

cost us at least 2 games v United

never came off his line

had a blanket over his legs when sub v Hartlepool

you can make your own mind up what I thought of him....but as a little clue he'd be the keeper in my all time xxxxx Wednesday XI in which Nuhiu would be the centre forward

21 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

You're passing judgement on something you have no knowledge of, hence me talking about Gerry Young's massive error...

I don't because I don't know

Is it that hard to understand.....

I was in my 20's when Woods signed so I remember very well. He was pants numerous times. 

Your excuse because he played poorly against united & Cup final is just that, he had a clanger in many a game. He was a waste of money