Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

We've had much better keepers than Chris Woods. Springett, Grummit and Hodge to name but three. We paid well over the odds (1M) for an average keeper. I never understood why he played for England so many times. Best of a bad bunch I think. His Wembley blunder v Arsenal was memorable unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

In my memories of him - I was only about 10 at the time - his hands always look like Mickey Mouse's, comically massive in white gloves. Very good from crosses for the most part if I recall, liked a good punch clear.

He was terrible on crosses. Lee Chapman scared him to death. 

Lived on his reputation for too long and kept Pressman out of the side for far too long. 

1 hour ago, Woodseats Owl said:

Yup my Blades mates at the time nick named him Window Cleaner Woods, good shot stopper but unfortunately will be remembered for the cup final replay. 

I always remember the Monday edition of the daily express after our 7-1 humiliation at Highbury - There was a cartoon of Woods with his goalie kit on, he had holes all over him. The headline was "Swiss Cheese Man".

For the money we paid, he was bl00dy useless.

Decent keeper but pressman was better so a waste of money, we needed outfield players more.

To this day i can only think of waddle as a great signing for a player aged 29-32 on their last big contract, same applies now with abdi, fletch, pudil n jones.

Edited by Ash77

"Ron told them in the team talk, "first 5 minutes bang a few in the box and let big Cyrille give him a bump. He'll not be bother coming for anything after that." It was common knowledge in the game that Woodsie didn't like the physical side"

Andy Gray

"We had no where near their budget or squad. But you do what you can. Their keeper , Woods, didnt like big forwards, so I'd been hammering Deano all week to make sure he jumped him on corners and high balls. He scared him to death."

Dave Bassett

Personally I think he was a decent keeper.  I'm just not sure why we signed him at that time as we had two very good keepers on the books. 

The fee, at that time was big, and could have been better utilised by buying Hirsty a top class strike partner. 

It might have made all the difference when we finished 3rd and pushed us over the line. 

When owls fans talk about Chris Woods, they only talk about a couple of high profile errors that he made and forget about the number of faultless displays he made for Wednesday whilst racking up numerous England caps.

It's also worth remembering that back when Woods was playing, he was beating off competition from a number of top flight English keepers including Seaman, Flowers, Martin, Lukic, Cotton, James, Walker, Tracey and Beasant. It wasn't like nowadays when all you have to be is English and a Keeper in the top flight to get a cap, Woods had REAL competition for his place and the fact that he got so many caps is testament to his ability.

For me Chris Woods was a top class keeper.

3 hours ago, Woodseats Owl said:

Yup my Blades mates at the time nick named him Window Cleaner Woods, good shot stopper but unfortunately will be remembered for the cup final replay. 

And that horrendous night at hillsborough when Davison scored a couple

As a massive Chris Woods fan, I hate the negativity about him. Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake its a goal. What about when brighty shinned it onto the post.

Unfortunately he didn't play well in the derbies and that's all weds fans remember. Pressman wasn't anywhere near a better keeper but he did play well against the oinkers and unfortunately that is what Wednesday fans remember

I went to see a pre season against Macclesfield and I think pressman is still falling for the ball..... The game had kicked off by the time he hit the ground he was that slow

Springetts were before my time, but maybe hodge was better, but between woods and pressman no comparison

Oh and this singing seamen's praises, obviously weren't at the game were we sang let's all do the seamen and flap our arms about, if I remember correctly shafting us vs Holland......

Edited by MBMitchell