pudil

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I understand your comments about how the goal came about, but why, when Knockaert is possibly the most dangerous player in the league, and he had given us warnings earlier in the game, was Pudil out of position? if Pudil had been 'allowed' to push forward, someone should have covered - they didn't.

Yes that I completely agree with. I don't know who was set to mark him when we're attacking on set-pieces but whoever it was screwed up, you always keep a certain number of players back, usually fullbacks if they're the quick players to get into position, was our organisation thrown because of the Hunt sub? Wasn't long after that they scored (unless my memory fails me, in fairness already trying to wipe that game from my mind!), have the match sat on my hard drive but no way I'm watching it again, just uploading for any masochists that do want to!

If you are away to the top of the league in an important match, against the best winger in the league,  you go with what you know rather than a new signing who has no first team experience with us.

Fox may be the future for us but I can understand why he didn't get a start last night. Once he understands our system I'd give him game time against lesser opponents.

Pudil is still a decent Championship fullback, he was always going to have a torrid time last night. It's no surprise he was torn a new one.

The signs were there last season with his defensive side. He's not mobile enough. He gets the basics wrong. 

One of his redeeming qualities last year was that he was great going forward, chipped in with the odd goal.

This season he's not been at the races at all, he looks sluggish and if you've got anything about you as a winger you'd love to play against him.

Having said all that I cannot see Carlos ditching him. We will be stuck with him being first choice until the end of the season.

The word id use in his mid term report would be lethargic .

It's hard to pin point because I wouldn't say he's been terrible. 

Just not right somehow.

Perhaps the signing of Fox will help push him to the standards which he is capable. 

Though for me he goes to ground too easily and always has done.

Pudil was always going to have a torrid time against Knockaert but the most frustrating thing for me was his distribution. He couldn't  make a pass all night and he's been like for a few weeks now. Because our wingers took in so much, most of our width comes from the full backs. So with Pudil struggling recently our left side is non existent.

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

The signs were there last season with his defensive side. He's not mobile enough. He gets the basics wrong. 

One of his redeeming qualities last year was that he was great going forward, chipped in with the odd goal.

This season he's not been at the races at all, he looks sluggish and if you've got anything about you as a winger you'd love to play against him.

Having said all that I cannot see Carlos ditching him. We will be stuck with him being first choice until the end of the season.

This is spot on. As you say there was a number of occasions last season, the one that really sticks in my mind is Rotherham at home. Grant Ward who was playing for them at the time had an absolute field day on the right and if memory serves me right the goal came from a ball from Pudils side? The amount of space and time he gives oppositions wingers is crimimal, even Tom Ince at Derby this season was embarassing him every time. 

On 21/01/2017 at 06:05, aeroswfc said:

We were keeping clean sheets with him in side.

Same can be said about Palmer & Hunt yet both get slagged off on here all the time. 

Palmer & Hunt get next to no help on the right hand side. Wallace may occasionally trot back but he doesn't tackle, block or have the athleticism to chase players down.

Pudil however has no excuse. Reach is usually there doubling up with him yet he still is an easy target for the oppo. Derby & Brighton have exposed that. It's no surprise he was substituted in both brighton games this season.

On 21 January 2017 at 02:25, Mainsey said:

He is genuinely awful. Knockaert nut-megged him, sent him into next week for their first goal and made him look like a league two left-back all night. The thing is though, he has been like it all season but has gotten away with it purely by good fortune or by Loovens and Lees' good partnership. You're all crying out for a right back, but I'd rather see Palmer on the starting line-up any day than Pudil. He needs to learn that there is more to life for a left back than 4 days of space to the opposition ,no blocking of opposition crossing, poor crosses himself and the below par standards now that he has got himself a contract. No wonder Brighton spent 80% of their attack down our left/their right.

What a massive & ridiculous overreaction. 

Knockaert in my opinion, is the best winger in the division - an opinion i'm sure plenty of others would agree with.

Although Pudil has been below bar this season, labelling him as awful is a slight over reaction don't you think?

He might not be the quickest, but he brings valued experience into the backline and is part of the defensive unit that have led to our impressive form these last few weeks. You can't have a weak link in the defence vs the teams we have played and still keep clean sheets....just because he hasn't been as effective going forward this season as last, you can't label him as awful. 

Pudil starting is fine for me, he does the job against the average/below average sides and that's all we need. However as we play better opposition, with better players,  especially wingers like Brighton have he does struggle - mainly because teams target him due to his lack of pace and how tactically we play by having him push so far forward, his side is usually targeted on the counter. 

Without Pudil we have Reach/Fox as LB options, both relatively inexperienced in the Championship LB position and moving Reach back limits his effectiveness. Who do you think Loovens, Lees and Westwood would rather play with? IMO, The back 5 are better as a unit with Pudil oppose to anyone else. He is still a valuable member of the squad but moving forward either Fox needs to play more or we should have signed a LB ready to come in and start playing - missing out on Bennett was a blow as he is now a regular in the Cardiff side and has qualities Pudil lacks (quick, young and energy to last full 90).

In hindsight, putting in a player like Fox for his debut against the best winger in the division you think would have been a better move by CC?

2 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

What a massive & ridiculous overreaction. 

Knockaert in my opinion, is the best winger in the division - an opinion i'm sure plenty of others would agree with.

Although Pudil has been below bar this season, labelling him as awful is a slight over reaction don't you think?

He might not be the quickest, but he brings valued experience into the backline and is part of the defensive unit that have led to our impressive form these last few weeks. You can't have a weak link in the defence vs the teams we have played and still keep clean sheets....just because he hasn't been as effective going forward this season as last, you can't label him as awful. 

Pudil starting is fine for me, he does the job against the average/below average sides and that's all we need. However as we play better opposition, with better players,  especially wingers like Brighton have he does struggle - mainly because teams target him due to his lack of pace and how tactically we play by having him push so far forward, his side is usually targeted on the counter. 

Without Pudil we have Reach/Fox as LB options, both relatively inexperienced in the Championship LB position and moving Reach back limits his effectiveness. Who do you think Loovens, Lees and Westwood would rather play with? IMO, The back 5 are better as a unit with Pudil oppose to anyone else. He is still a valuable member of the squad but moving forward either Fox needs to play more or we should have signed a LB ready to come in and start playing - missing out on Bennett was a blow as he is now a regular in the Cardiff side and has qualities Pudil lacks (quick, young and energy to last full 90).

In hindsight, putting in a player like Fox for his debut against the best winger in the division you think would have been a better move by CC?

I stopped reading after impressive form.

Reach & Forestieri have to be tried, surely the most dangerous left hand side in this league...?!

Hunt/Palmer with Mc'nanaman (excellent nickname I just thought up by the way) also very strong.

We simply have to finish minimum top 6, anything else is a huge failing, we actually have one of the strongest squads in the league.

To be fair to Pudil, Knockaert is by far and away the best player in the Championship (FF doesn't even come close nowadays, unfortunately) and when he's on his game, as he always seems to be when he plays us, then he's pretty much unplayable.

I've said before though, that Pudil had the shortest break this summer of any player at our club, with the highs and lows of the Play-offs to deal with, before heading out to the Euros (and training for a couple more weeks, even if not necessarily playing much). Simply put, I don't think he got the necessary time to recover physically and mentally from a gruelling previous campaign before he was back in pre-season, and its showing now in his lethargic, immobile performances.

It might be impractical if Fox isn't ready to step up to the mantle, but he just looks like a player crying out for a rest as much as anything.

3 minutes ago, Daavies; said:

I stopped reading after impressive form.

What?

Conceding 1 goal in 6 games..keeping clean sheets vs Newcastle (away + top scorers in the division) & Huddersfield, winning 4 out of the last 6 - tell me what you think of that run? Granted we should be scoring more goals, but still a very good string of results, aided by our impressive defensive performances. 

On 1/21/2017 at 10:41, StudentOwl said:

Chill out... we signed Fox and less than one week later we had the local derby against Huddersfield, then the following week we're away against the best team in the division against the best player in the division attacking our left fullback.

What game do you propose we throw in the young league 1 left back? Because if he had played against 'Udders you can guarantee there'd be a plethora of people on here saying "Well he isn't used to the system, that's too much a big game to put him in for his first start" and if he'd started against Brighton it would have been "Why are you putting a player that hasn't had a minute of Championship football in 7 months up against the best player in the league Carlos you thrower!"

So genuine question, do you think it would have been appropriate to start him in either of those two games? 

100% correct

Just now, modboy said:

im not sure our clean sheets are down to either FBs

Obviously they have an impact but its more down to Loovens, Lees, Westwood and Hutch

Agree.

Those 4 contribute much more defensively than Hunt/Pudil.

However i think by isolating Pudil or Hunt/Palmer directly from the side we are bringing in other players who aren't custom to playing with the 'big 4'. Atleast by keeping Pudil/Hunt in the team, other players feel more comfortable and are use to how they play. We saw how Lees/Sasso struggled as a pair when they partnered each other vs Wolves, we still kept a clean sheet but you could see how we were vulnerable...Lees wasn't as commanding and we relied on Westwood making 2 big saves & Hutchinson having a stormer to keep us at 0-0, arguably this was down to limited playing time together.

I'm not saying keeping Pudil/Hunt as starters is the way forward, but for the time being we don't really have any other options without potentially jeopardising the effectiveness of other players.

The defensive part of Pudils game is quite worrying, you can argue any left back would have been up against it V Knockaert but yes, he's been struggling for most of the season.

Now, our fullbacks are expected to join every attack, they are a huge part of how we play, when was the last time Pudil produced anything going forward.

Its time for Reach to drop in at left back, he can't be any worse defensively than Pudil and we get a bit more quality going forward.

FF plays in front of Reach, we play 2 out and out strikers up top.