Poll: Man of the Match vs Brighton...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Brighton  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Brighton?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Hutchinson
    • Winnall
    • Forestieri
    • Reach
    • Palmer
    • Fletcher
    • McManaman

From a neutral viewer, I thought Bannan only effected the game positively after Brighton went down to 10 men.  The first half, possibly down to a lack of options ahead of him, he actually slowed your play down, passing square and backward most of the time.

Reach looked a threat when he gets into space but under pressure makes the wrong pass. Saw him a couple of times when he was younger and on loan at Bradford, he looked a real prospect then but again his decision making let down his talent.

Ironically had it stayed 11 v 11, I think you would have come away with a deserved draw. Knockaert aside, I wasn't too impressed with Brighton.

If your current squad of players had the same team spirit and togetherness that took last seasons squad to the brink of the PL you'd be top of the league. Too many players at his disposal is giving CC selection and formation headaches.

Westwood, 6 - Made 2 crucial early saves, think he got unlucky for the first goal, Knockaert didn't intentionally put it through his legs think he just got lucky...did everything right by coming out and making himself big. Nothing he could have done for second goal, excellent ball in Loovens/Lees should have dealt with it.

Hunt/Palmer - 6/5, Both did ok when they were on Hunt slightly better shame to see him go off, Palmer looked bit off the pace, final ball wasn't good and HAS to get tighter to his man when they try to deliver balls into the box.

Lees, 5 - Average,thought he dealt with Hemed quite well, him and Murray didn't cause us any problems, struggled to deal with some of the crosses coming in and should have done better for the second goal.

Loovens, 5 - Likewise with Lees, handled Hemed/Murray pretty well, won most things in the air, should have known better for the second goal though he has to get something on that. Both CB's suffered due to no protection for the flanks, makes there job harder when defending constant good balls into the box.

Pudil, 3 - Shouldn't have started. AK tore him apart earlier this season, and it was the same again, lucky not to concede in the first minute after AK megged him. Just cannot handle quick tricky players on the right, far too exposed for the first goal and lacks the pace so is easily targeted on the break. I've said it time and time again this season, the better teams target Pudil on the break because he pushes really high up (small issue) but he is so slow quicker players have him on toast (big issue) , Reach or Fox have to play LB in games like last night. 

Wallace, 4 - Ineffective, can't believe he played the full 90, only contribution I remember was his FK that was straight at Stockdale. Usually expect big performances from this lad in big games, but was a passenger tonight, simply didn't get on the ball enough or make an impression.

Bannan, 7 - One of our better players, looked hungrier to take his man on which is pleasing, passing was good and one of few who actually wanted to win and make things happen, always trying to create something, well done BB.

Hutchinson, 4 - Our lord and saviour is allowed one bad game. Some terrible tackles, directly at fault for the first, why on earth has he dived in so early? Could have tactically fouled for a yellow or just ran back? For the most part he was actually ok protecting the back 4 and keeping Stephens quiet, but the red card and the bad play for the first goal have cost us big time so have to mark him down. (Sorry Sam, i promise i'll never say anything bad about you again)

Reach, 6 - Probably our best player alongside Bannan. Ran at players and took shots which is what he has to do more of, tracked back and helped Pudil with AK at times too which was much needed. Should have started at LB as he has the pace to deal with AK, but gave a decent performance LM just want to see him take more people on!

FF, 5 - A night when we needed our star man to deliver and he simply did not. Good ball to create the first goal, not sure if that counts as an assist? But just like Wallace largely ineffective, never got going and chemistry with Winnall seemed blank. Poor penalty but unlucky not to score the rebound, really good double save from Stockdale. Will be disappointed he didn't do more.

Winnall, 5 - As already posted on here, looked abit lost up top last night. Didn't get the service and was left feeding of scraps for the most part, hard job dealing with high balls alone vs Dunk/Duffy. Can see why he was subbed but Fletcher was no better, still worked hard and looked hungry but we gave him nothing to work with.

SUBS/

Fletcher, 5 - Feel for Fletcher with the red card, that could so easily have been one for Stephens too or just Stephens entirely. Seasoned pro should still know better, won more air balls when he came on which was good and cut back helped win the pen. But again didn't get a great deal of quality service to work with.

Macca, 4 - Like Wallace, largely ineffective but still showed plenty of passion, needs a few games to get match sharpness back.

Needless to say i'm still very disappointed we didn't get anything from last nights game. I thought first half we were awful and could have quite easily been 2 or 3 goals down, we made AK looked world class and could not handle him at all. Very lucky goal before HT to get us back in it then second half was all us. Big moment with FF missing the penalty vs 10, he scores that and i think we go on to win 3-1. But after that we still had half chances, still lacking some creativity and quality, didn't create enough for Winnall/Fletcher/FF and then got sucker punched on the counter, all fell apart after that.

We missed a presence like Lee in the middle, somebody to make the transition from defence to attack so much smoother, everybody plays better when he's in the side. Too many players for us didn't turn up, Wallace, FF, Macca, Hutchinson, Pudil all poor and you simply cannot do that against arguably the best team in the league. In the end Brighton deserved it. CC needs to find a solution for a poor goal scoring form, no matter how many goals we don't concede 6 goals in 6 games won't get us promoted. Would like to see Abdi get involved some how, maybe move FF into a wider role and allow 2 of Winnall/Hooper/Fletcher a run of games together.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

Westwood 6

Hunt 6

Lees 6

Loovens 6

Pudil 4

Wallace 4

Bannan 5 

Hutchinson 5

Reach 7

Forestieri 5

Winnall 5

Palmer 6

McManaman 6

Fletcher 3

People who said Bannan were man of the match last night need to wake up, time and time again neglected the left hand side when reach was in acres my playing a 50 yard champagne diagonal. A proper midfield last night would have got round the edge of the box instead of one of them always been the 5th centre half against 10 men. Might not be there fault but if it isn't its certainly Carlos' like Lees said you would never see a proper team lose that match. As said after Wembley last year we are a few players short of a good team. 

Westwood - 4  He should have done better for first goal, though I appreciate he would have risked taking a kick and given how injury prone he is maybe he bottled it in the heat of the moment - also seemed to leave the ball for the second goal, but maybe Loovens shout?

Pudil - 4 Agree with some other comments that Knockaert ran him ragged, he wont be the first or last full back to suffer that fate but it was costly last night.

Lees - 6  Solid performance, deserved his yellow card.

Loovens - 5 See above, not sure if he was at fault for second goal, otherwise solid enough.

Hunt - 6 He was doing fine, looked a nasty knock on the knee, bit unfortunate.

Palmer - 5 Did ok when he came on but his first touch was found wanting a couple of times going forward (common issue with him).

Reach - 7 Best player of the night for me until he got moved back to full back towards the end, he still needs to do more, but I thought he looked one of our biggest threats yesterday.

Bannan - 6  Plenty of effort, some good passes, but the lad really needs to be chipping in with some goals for the quality he has.  The chance he missed he really should have stuck away (it was similar to Lee at home to Brighton in play-off semi last year and Lee made that look very easy).

Hutch - 3  I acknowledge he has been one of our best players this season, but there is no excuse for getting yourself suspended and throwing yourself into a tsackle like that which was out of control and dangerous.  Lucky not to get the straight red it deserved.

Wallace - 5  Largely anonymous.

FF - 4  Not a good night for him.  Really should have stuck away the pen rebound (obviously the pen in the first place too).  Too much throwing himself to the ground as ever.

Winnall - 4  Never got in the game really, lacked service to be fair.

Fletcher - 3  Again a stupid red card.  I think Stephens was a bit naughty but come on, you have to keep your head when we had the man advantage.  Very disappointing.

McManaman - fine on the ball but one horrid shot and getting involved in the fighting was daft (4).

Westwood - 5 Did ok though should have done better to stop first goal.

Hunt - 6 Was having a good game, shame about injury.

Pudil - 5 Struggled against Knockhart who is one excellent player.

Lees - 6 Did little wrong, steady.

Loovens - 6 Was having a decent game though should done better with second goal.

Wallace - 5 Did very little which is very rare from him.

Hutchinson - 5 Not one of his better games, 2 silly yellow cards.

Bannan - 8 Excellent throughout game. MOM

Reach - 7 Had a good game and one of our main threats but did give ball away a few times.

Winnall - 5 Couldn't get into game. 

FF - 6 Had better games but still looked good in flashes, very poor penalty and should have put rebound away.

Palmer - 6 Steady as usual but his crossing needs to improve.

McManaman - 5 This boy can produce the goods but is one hell of a hot head and could have got sent off.

Fletcher - 5 He was doing well but so stupid to get sent off with all experience he's got, should know better.

Edited by bradowl

Westwood - 5 poor for first goal and looked uncharacteristically hesitant with their whipped crosses

Hunt - 6 was just getting into the game

Lees - 7 decent

Loovens - 6 ok, but was hoping the ball was going past all for the second goal

Pudil - 5 kept trying to go forwards to add something but poor defensively tonight

Reach - 7.5 good pace and effort, and ran the line well, put him as our MotM

Bannan - 7 busy and showed some decent skills and passing, got forward a bit but would like to see him 10 yards further up the pitch generally

Hutch - 5 ok, but needs to see a sports psychologist to sort out his rash side

Wallace - 5 bit anonymous, would like to see (a calm) McManaman given a start

FF - 5 a few flashes but not his best game and a poor penalty and follow up

Winnall - 5 looked lost up front, no link to the other players

Palmer - 6 got forward, did ok

Fletcher - 5 improved us for the small amount of time he managed to keep himself on the pitch

McManaman - 5 showed some promise, but unnecessarily aggro which broke the game up nicely for them a couple of times

Bannan for me,thought he grafted all night.

Westwood had an absolute mare of a game,Reach was busy all night but at times his distribution or choice of pass just let his game down,thought Wallace grafted hard as well.

Shame for Hunt as he was looking good and for Winnall as well,once he went of we started playing in some balls he would have thrived on,ironic really.

Should really have won this one,but credit to stockdale and the brilliance of knockeart they were the difference.

Shame for Fletch,I thought both should have gone,the brighton lad elbows,then forearm smashes him,and he reacted,followed by Hutchys indicipline,thought murrays red was a bit harsh as well.

We need to inject some tempo,we look dead flat still,but should be ok for the play offs

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

God knows why people are banging on about bannan. He is one of the main reasons we are so crap going forward. 

He was excellent last night. The only creativity we had.

Who would you play right now in his place!

5 hours ago, james o connor said:

God knows why people are banging on about bannan. He is one of the main reasons we are so crap going forward. 

I can never get my head around comments like this over Bannan, he might play odd dodgy pass but he never hides and is always looking for ball and is best ball player at club, some of his passing is premier league standard. 

I wish we had another half a dozen players like him.

3 hours ago, bradowl said:

I can never get my head around comments like this over Bannan, he might play odd dodgy pass but he never hides and is always looking for ball and is best ball player at club, some of his passing is premier league standard. 

I wish we had another half a dozen players like him.

Spot on,For those of a certain age,hes like a young Alan Ball,alas hes the scots version so hes not as clinical in his finishing :) CM is deffo his position