Poll: Man of the Match vs Brighton...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Brighton  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Brighton?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Hutchinson
    • Winnall
    • Forestieri
    • Reach
    • Palmer
    • Fletcher
    • McManaman

11 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Reach was awful tonight how can people say he played well? He is so pedestrian. No quality in his delivery and never takes a man on. 

Maybe I'm being harsh on him but he cost 5 million pounds so I'm allowed to. 

Awful?

Really?

Remarkable. 

Westwood 4 - uncharacteristically looked like a rabbit in the headlights for the first goal

Hunt 5

Lees 7 - Mostly pretty commanding and OK in possession

Loovens 6 - Decent until their second goal where he let Knockaert in behind him

Pudil 3 - Knockaert absolutely shredded him, tackling and positioning look gone at this point

Wallace 4 - Basically invisible. Was hoping he'd kick on after last week, I'm left disappointed

Bannan 7 - Our motm. Dictated play well, dared to carry the ball forward more and while he still tried the Hollywood balls, the completion rate was actually pretty decent.

Hutchinson 4 - Not up to his usual standards... then the red card just shows he hasn't shaken off the red mist

Reach 6 - Good, especially first half. Covered a huge amount of ground and tried to make things happen

Forestieri 4 - Invisible and missed a penalty. Blazed a few shots high and wide. Really poor today

Winnall 4 - Also invisible, though he'll probably be guaranteed a few starts to gel with the side now Fletcher is suspended

Palmer 5

Fletcher 3 - Cumbersome and slow, then got himself sent off. Hopefully Winnall and/or Hooper establish themselves ahead of him in the pecking order

McManaman 3 - Just ran around acting like a prat, made no effort to link up with Pudil. He won't last much longer if he carries on like this.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

Westwood 5 - uncharacteristic mistake for their first, made a few other decent stops but not up to his usual standards

Hunt n/a - didn't see much of him before he went off

Lees 6 - nothing majorly wrong but he's had better games

Loovens 5 - switched off for the second goal, looked a bit muddled when dealing with their attacking two coming forward

Pudil 3 - looked all at sea against arguably the best winger in the league, might seem a harsh rating but he was beaten countless times tonight

Wallace 4 - didn't really see him all game, besides the free kick which wasn't his cleanest strike by a long way

Hutch 3 - where was he tonight? Looked off the pace all game, and then an utterly stupid challenge flying in at the end

Bannan 7 - looked the most comfortable on the ball for us all night, flashes of the player we knew last season. He's going to come good between now and May, I can feel it

Reach 7 - MOTM for me just because he had a lot of defensive work to try and cover and still managed to look like our biggest threat going forward, puts a decent ball in

Forrestieri 5 - aside from the cross which led to the own goal he didn't really look at the races today, also while he can't be solely blamed for the defeat he should have done better with the penalty

Winnall 4 - pretty absent, I think he'll be a good signing for us once he finds his feet. Needs better service consistently throughout the game to be more effective

Palmer 6 - standard Palmer showing, does enough but not as solid as Buxton ever was

Fletcher 4 - didn't really do much, I don't think it was the right change from Carlos. He was provoked by Stephens (who was lucky not to see red himself) but his reaction was childish

McMannaman 3 - probably annoyed not to start after looking threatening off the bench last week, but that's no excuse for his behaviour tonight, flying into the commotion from nowhere looking for a scrap, he's a red card waiting to happen IMO

Overall performance: the main thing I feel is let down, simply because we've wasted a golden chance to get something from that game. One of Brighton's shakiest defensive displays all season, we get a good slice of fortune for the goal, we get a penalty and we're playing against 10 men for nearly 30 minutes of the game. You don't necessarily expect to beat Brighton away from home, but when things seem to align in your favour you have to take the chance, and we missed out tonight. I saw one Brighton fan say that we completely lost it in the second half, and I've half a mind to agree with him. Not sure what happened, but after we missed the penalty we just seemed to go from 'slightly-lacklustre' mode to full-blown 'self-destruct'. Shame, because we all know that we can be so much better.

Onwards and upwards. UTO.

Westwood 6, couple of glaring errors but some good stops early on

Hunt 6, was doing well until he went off

Lees 6, solid

Loovens 5, very slightly off the pace tonight, only the best teams expose his lack of speed

Pudil 5, made to look much worse by a great player

Wallace 4, went missing for me

Bannan 6, good going forward but poor in the tackle and unluckily for him their first goal started there

Hutch 4, a solid 6 otherwise but really let himself and the team down at the end

Reach 7, did the work of three players first half and pushed back into ineffective position 2nd half but kept driving forward well, overlapped McManaman several times and looked hungrier than most

FF 5, largely ineffective and didn't put his usual terrier shift in to press their dodgy-on-the-ball CBs, a missed opportunity

Winnall 5, contribution more like a 4 really but not his fault as had nothing to work with, looked slightly more willing to chase than Barnsley fans accuse him of

Fletch 6, worked hard to cause them more problems, was an idiot in the flashpoint but the incident wasn't started by him so I'm not throwing the book at him

McManaman 5, could've been a 6 or 7 if he'd kept going but got drawn into that last 10min meltdown and that defined his game in the end

Palmer 6, very good effort but never threatened enough going forward against 10 men, despite finding good positions several times

Overall a 6 performance from the Owls, could've easily won that despite never getting out of second gear, but very much let ourselves down in the final reckoning and a team score of 5 wouldn't be overly harsh given the ludicrous loss of discipline. A real shame. I suspect a couple of pay packets will be getting docked tomorrow, quite honestly.

Bouncing back without Hutch will be a real test of mettle but a great opportunity to redeem some proper team spirit, and kicking on properly from here could still be huge for rest of season.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Westwood   6     Couple of really good saves but could have done better with first goal

Hunt            6 Decent  before injury

Loovens      5  Won little in the air and could have reacted better on Knockarts winner.

Lees            6   Steady at best.

Pudil            3   Turned inside out far too often.

Wallace       5   Completely anonymous.t

Bannan       8    centre of everything decent we did.

Hutchinson  4   Never thought I'd see him have a poor game capped off by completely losing it.

Reach          8  Made himself available worked hard and was a threat out wide.

Forestieri      6  Constant threat but lacking that quality touch.

Winnall         5  Set up to fail feeds on channel balls, number delivered zero.

Palmer         5 Moving into realms of fringe player.

Fletcher       4 Another one who completely lost it.

Mcmanaman   5 Didn't inject the impact expected.

Westwood 5.5 - rarely but he was at fault on both goals

Hunt 6

Lees 7

Loovens 6.5 at fault 2nd goal

Pudil 6

Wallace 6

Hutch 6 silly challenges, 1st one high up pitch let them break and score, 2nd one just stupid

Bannon 8 MoM=

Reach 8 MoM=

Fessi 6 - v poor penno and back to grass flopping

Winnall 5.5 no real service 

Fletcher 5 stupid behaviour by a senior pro

Palmer 7 did well over lapping

Macca 6 stupid behaviour over Fletch incident shudda been booked

Teamwork & tempo v good until the penno

We didn't react positively enough as a team after Fessi's poor miss

Not to worry still in play offs but cudda been 4th tonight 

WAWAW UTO

Bannan without a doubt although Reach played well.

It's quite clear some have made their mind up about Reach now and he will be their scapegoat no matter what because he played well last night but is still getting slated.

Funny how a defeat blinkers so many people's judgement. The performance was nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

It all unravelled in the last ten minutes

Conceding a late goal against the run of play spoilt an otherwise solid performance (IMO) but there's no excuse for that sorry lack of discipline at the end

Westwood   6  (=average)

Hunt  7  (unlucky with the injury)

Lees  7  (=good)

Loovens  6

Pudil  5  (-1 struggled to contain their best player)

Wallace  5  (-1 quiet 1st half, improved a bit 2nd)

Hutch  4  (poor by his own standards, -2 for the red)

Bannan  7.5  (influential throughout even though some of it didn't come off) 

Reach  8.5  (my MOM, played 3 different roles well and gave 100%)

Winnall  6  (settling in)

Forestieri  5  (-1 not for the miss but for how it affected his game afterwards)

Palmer  6

Fletcher  4  (-1 for the red, might've been provoked, another -1 for his general input)

McManaman  5  (-1 but could've been worse, his temperament looks dodgy)

On balance, that's 3pts dropped - so hugely disappointing

But if we had managed a win it'd probably be a contender for result of the season so far

Reach and Bannan last night. Most of the scores given to the players, particularly in the early postings would have been considerably higher if FF had scored the penalty. I think supporters were very frustrated, and rightly so, but in the cold light of day we almost took all the points and should have against a team well-placed for automatic promotion. The problem now is the unacceptable red cards and the consequences to come.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Westwood 4 1st goal embarrassing 

hunt 6 doing well until went off 

lees 5 didn't cover himself In glory

loovens 4 2nd goal , at least try 

pudil 4 the worst regular left back in the league

reach 6.5 did alright. Seemed to want it more 

Hutchinson 4 worst performance of the season and idiotic yellow cards 

bannan 4 would happily swap him for lee on the treatment table. Learn to shoot 

ff 1 lazy , the most pathetic penalty ever

winnal 5 tried ,didn't come off 

Edited by james o connor

2 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

It all unravelled in the last ten minutes

Conceding a late goal against the run of play spoilt an otherwise solid performance (IMO) but there's no excuse for that sorry lack of discipline at the end

Westwood   6  (=average)

Hunt  7  (unlucky with the injury)

Lees  7  (=good)

Loovens  6

Pudil  5  (-1 struggled to contain their best player)

Wallace  5  (-1 quiet 1st half, improved a bit 2nd)

Hutch  4  (poor by his own standards, -2 for the red)

Bannan  7.5  (influential throughout even though some of it didn't come off) 

Reach  8.5  (my MOM, played 3 different roles well and gave 100%)

Winnall  6  (settling in)

Forestieri  5  (-1 not for the miss but for how it affected his game afterwards)

Palmer  6

Fletcher  4  (-1 for the red, might've been provoked, another -1 for his general input)

McManaman  5  (-1 but could've been worse, his temperament looks dodgy)

On balance, that's 3pts dropped - so hugely disappointing

But if we had managed a win it'd probably be a contender for result of the season so far

Couldn't have put it better myself!

BB played higher up the park and was involved in everything .

Cannot believe the low marks some are giving Brighton absolutely bossed us at our place and we did the same to them tonight , we could have won that game 

Fine margins .