Under 15s, Floodlit cup Owls 2 Newcastle 0 Goals

The grandson of a guy I know in Gainsborough plays for the Under 15's, he wrote something on facebook earlier today that he'd been to see his grandson play at Hillsborough.

Elliott Vasalo, who I'm pretty certain was the lad who made the run and assist for the opening goal.

I've been told that the coaches are really happy with his development so far and David Hirst has, at some point given some complimentary words.

Also, going on what his grandad has said the coaching set up and the way in which they operate is second to none, the club really do look after the players, improving their skills on the pitch but also stressing that there's still a long long way to go if they want to turn pro, and to get there requires the right attitude etc etc.

Long may it continue.

5 minutes ago, g-owls said:

The grandson of a guy I know in Gainsborough plays for the Under 15's, he wrote something on facebook earlier today that he'd been to see his grandson play at Hillsborough.

Elliott Vasalo, who I'm pretty certain was the lad who made the run and assist for the opening goal.

I've been told that the coaches are really happy with his development so far and David Hirst has, at some point given some complimentary words.

Also, going on what his grandad has said the coaching set up and the way in which they operate is second to none, the club really do look after the players, improving their skills on the pitch but also stressing that there's still a long long way to go if they want to turn pro, and to get there requires the right attitude etc etc.

Long may it continue.

This is what I love most at the mo, all our age groups are so well run and it shows. Its no longer a case of "if you can kick the ball in the right direction" then you are in, now it's more "if you dont step up every day of the week you are gone, because we've got someone else who can step up and wants your place"

I think we have more talent now across the age groups than we have had in the previous 20 years combined.

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

This is what I love most at the mo, all our age groups are so well run and it shows. Its no longer a case of "if you can kick the ball in the right direction" then you are in, now it's more "if you dont step up every day of the week you are gone, because we've got someone else who can step up and wants your place"

I think we have more talent now across the age groups than we have had in the previous 20 years combined.

I hope you're right. Definitely feels like we're heading in the right direction. 

3 minutes ago, themaskedowl said:

I hope you're right. Definitely feels like we're heading in the right direction. 

Well look at it this way mate, 5 years ago we were all getting excited about the wonderous prospect that was Nathan Modest.........that went well

Now look, we just let one of the last "products" in our old youth system leave in Devante Rodney because clearly they dont feel he is good enough at all, and watching our u23s, and under 18s you really can see why

5 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Well look at it this way mate, 5 years ago we were all getting excited about the wonderous prospect that was Nathan Modest.........that went well

Now look, we just let one of the last "products" in our old youth system leave in Devante Rodney because clearly they dont feel he is good enough at all, and watching our u23s, and under 18s you really can see why

Exciting times. 

What I do remember is the feeling when we were served the winding up order. It feels a million miles away now but the shadow still haunts me. 

Any comment on our academy set up vs S2 now? Recently I believe they were quite a ways ahead of us. Sounds like now we may be more competitive. 

3 minutes ago, themaskedowl said:

Exciting times. 

What I do remember is the feeling when we were served the winding up order. It feels a million miles away now but the shadow still haunts me. 

Any comment on our academy set up vs S2 now? Recently I believe they were quite a ways ahead of us. Sounds like now we may be more competitive. 

honestly I pay so little attention to them lot I'm not sure, but they don't exactly seem to be producing many youngsters these days compared to what they used to.

I'm just impressed with the complete change in our academies, and I love the fact that all the age groups play the same tactics and formation as the first team, so if anyone gets called up to the next level they can fit straight in

6 hours ago, marcx666 said:

honestly I pay so little attention to them lot I'm not sure, but they don't exactly seem to be producing many youngsters these days compared to what they used to.

I'm just impressed with the complete change in our academies, and I love the fact that all the age groups play the same tactics and formation as the first team, so if anyone gets called up to the next level they can fit straight in

They sold Dominic Calvert-Lewin to Everton in the summer, who has already played for them in the Prem this season. So they're still producing quality prospects. I feel we're getting much closer to having that kind of player come through, but it takes 8-10 years to reverse the state we'd allowed our system to get into.