McGugan on move?

10 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I just can't believe the decision to let McGugan go is not a considered one, if there are issues with attitude or he doesn't fit our style of play then he has to go for the good of all parties, you can't keep him because the next coach "might" rate him. The whole thing is very unfortunate and I certainly wouldn't have foreseen it. It also goes back to something I posted elsewhere, I'm not even sure McGugan is a CC signing.

CC must have had a hand it - He must have felt McGugan could play a specific role in the side.  I think it's when McGugan defied him on this the rot set in.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

CC must have had a hand it - I think he also felt McGugan could play a specific role in the side.  I think it's when McGugan defied him on this the rot set in.

We'll have to wait for CC's autobiography to know. lol

Edit - It will be 12000 pages if the press interviews are anything to go by. Love the guy.

Edited by Morepork

I don't see this as anything other than Carlos being clear about what he wants and expects from his players. McGugan either wouldn't or couldn't meet the criteria so he hasn't been involved. We need strong management and that's what we're getting - CC & DC are not scared of tough decisions to get results and in broad terms their formula is working. Nothing more to see here really.

There's a focus on Mcgugan refusing to play a position. But CC also said that he thought LM could play a certain way as a number 10, like FF does. But he realised he couldn't and discussed it with the player who said similar as his style had changed from when he was younger. 

I'm not sure there has been something sinister other than a discussion about whether he fits into the side. If LM had refused to play there's no way he'd have ever featured in the cup games. I think he has proven that he can contribute in certain games through the goals he scored last season but CC isn't having it, so for the player it's a case of looking for a move that doesn't cost you too much  money.

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

CC must have had a hand it - He must have felt McGugan could play a specific role in the side.  I think it's when McGugan defied him on this the rot set in.

Watch CC's interview with Biggs on Sheffield Live. No hard feelings with McGugan, simply can't do what he wants. Not a dig at the player and it's not nice to leave players out in the dark.

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

You know I'm not so sure, wasn't Roeder here then? It could even have been DC for the reason you mentioned above, it's certainly hard to imagine CC sanctioned it because he's just not his type of player. I guess it's academic now but I'd still love to know who was responsible for McGugan, Sougou and Lachman, if anyone can remember the exact timeline of CC's and GR's tenure vs the arrival of those I'd be interested. 

As an aside, I remember being delighted when we signed him, no doubt a lot of us were.

As per Wiki

Glenn Roeder = April 15 - Dec 15

McGugan = 16 June 15

Lachman = 25 June 15 (as per OS)

Carlos = 30 June 15

Sougou = 5 Aug 15 

I love Carlos but he can be a bit too headstrong. Regardless of when they signed or who by, they were on the payroll and McGugan should've been given the chance when we were struggling. Same with Lachman when we had the defensive crisis.

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

As per Wiki

Glenn Roeder = April 15 - Dec 15

McGugan = 16 June 15

Lachman = 25 June 15 (as per OS)

Carlos = 30 June 15

Sougou = 5 Aug 15 

I love Carlos but he can be a bit too headstrong. Regardless of when they signed or who by, they were on the payroll and McGugan should've been given the chance when we were struggling. Same with Lachman when we had the defensive crisis.

Thanks Big Ron.

Interesting, but it's still difficult to have a firm view on who was responsible for those signings. For me, McGugan and Lachman have more to do with GR and DC than CC. Sougou, I'm not so sure, could still be GR before CC took the reins over transfers. CC has recently stated that he has the final say on transfers, I believe that's a reference to the situation as it is now rather than then when the committee was in operation. Phew...

I was delighted when McGugan signed but alas I'm not the coach and if it's your job and keeping that job depends on results then you are going to surround yourself with characters you can trust and rely on. LM has plenty of ability but I think there are question marks around his character which is a shame.

I don't recall us struggling to a point at which LM should have been used and neither do I recall a defensive crisis worthy of recalling Lachman?

10 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I agree in most cases but when players have been frozen out who can perform a perfectly decent role here, as in the case of McGugan, the decision needs to be a more considered one.

We're all speculating, of course

But suggestions that McGugan has been 'frozen out' by Carlos hardly ring true when looking at last seasons stats

13 apps in the league, but then add the 21 games when he was an unused sub

4 apps in the cups plus 2 more as an unused sub

By my reckoning, that means he was part of the matchday 18 on forty occasions out of a total of 53

Bearing in mind the impact/ consistency shown throughout the season by Lee, Hutch & Bannan it's not too difficult to see how his opportunities to impress became restricted

And did he take full advantage when those opportunites arose?

The above stats do not include the play-offs, where he played no part, and perhaps the writing was on the wall after that

Carlos has been quite candid about McGugan's position within the club and if someone had have stepped in with an offer in August then few of us would've been surprised to see him leave

But the lack of a squad number and no apparent involvement in U23 games does suggest lines have been drawn and bridges burnt

The delay in moving him on must surely have more to do with his own personal terms and what Mr C considers to be a reasonable return for his investment

The player needs to be out there on the pitch and I'm fairly sure something will get resolved this month

Edited by Ethel The Tree