McGugan on move?

2 hours ago, HalfFull said:

Where, exactly, are these other threads? I have checked the first 4 pages of MATCHDAY and can see no other thread on McGugan.

If someone wants to start a thread on any topic, that is their choice. If you don't want to read it, don't - that is your choice.  

If there are too many threads on any topic then I would expect the moderators to deal with it.

Time of the month? Did I bitch about him starting a new thread? Did I bitch at him not searching before posting? No I confirmed that we knew of the Bolton link and had been discussing it, there have been numerous threads about McGugan, was stating a fact.

This may be a papal promble, but does Carlos actually sign the players? or is it still being done by "the Committee" which used to work for the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club led

by Glenn Roeder and Colin Crompton. 

PS. Good luck to Lewis - time to move on shame it

didnt work out. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

24 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Think CC only signed him because he wanted to make the fans happy when he first came.

You know I'm not so sure, wasn't Roeder here then? It could even have been DC for the reason you mentioned above, it's certainly hard to imagine CC sanctioned it because he's just not his type of player. I guess it's academic now but I'd still love to know who was responsible for McGugan, Sougou and Lachman, if anyone can remember the exact timeline of CC's and GR's tenure vs the arrival of those I'd be interested. 

As an aside, I remember being delighted when we signed him, no doubt a lot of us were.

Edited by Morepork

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

trouble is that you need more than skill and ability to be a quality player .....everywhere he's been he falls out of favour with the management and fans .

Pretty much. His attitude comes across a bit arrogant and his presence I'm guessing doesn't help the team morale. 

Isn't Bolton weeks away from administration?

They paid players late in November, The chairman has said if he cannot purchase the other 40% of Holdsworth then it will be administration possible. Still not taken full control has he?

Are they also still under a transfer embargo? 

How can they sign Mcgugan unless we pay his full wage and the league accept it under an embargo?

6 hours ago, offalyowl said:

Well another off the wage bill but really rated Lewis just a pity it didn't work out for him here the last 18 months but will be a great player for someone else, just hope he don't come back to haunt us

And I think if someone came in here McGugan could start to feature again.

Whilst I am all for getting the wage bill down - it much be astronomical - we need to be a little careful about deciding who goes.

If CC were to move on, another manager may get something out of these discarded players.

Gray did it after Jones left and we improved.  CC has basically frozen players out who are capabale of doing a job here - I wouldn't ideally want them doing a decent job somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

And I think if someone came in here McGugan could start to feature again.

Whilst I am all for getting the wage bill down - it much be astronomical - we need to be a little careful about deciding who goes.

If CC were to move on, another manager may get something out of these discarded players.

Gray did it after Jones left and we improved.  CC has basically frozen players out who are capabale of doing a job here - I wouldn't ideally want them doing a decent job somewhere else.

The current coach needs to do what he needs to do, you can't have a situation where you hang on to players just in case the next coach rates them, regardless of who they are or their ability.

19 minutes ago, Morepork said:

The current coach needs to do what he needs to do, you can't have a situation where you hang on to players just in case the next coach rates them, regardless of who they are or their ability.

I agree in most cases but when players have been frozen out who can perform a perfectly decent role here, as in the case of McGugan, the decision needs to be a more considered one.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

12 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I agree in most cases but when players have been frozen out who can perform a perfectly decent role here, as in the case of McGugan, the decision needs to be a more considered one.

I just can't believe the decision to let McGugan go is not a considered one, if there are issues with attitude or he doesn't fit our style of play then he has to go for the good of all parties, you can't keep him because the next coach "might" rate him. The whole thing is very unfortunate and I certainly wouldn't have foreseen it. It also goes back to something I posted elsewhere, I'm not even sure McGugan is a CC signing.

Edited by Morepork