Coping with Hillsborough...

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

I think they just withdrew them for the rest of that season Blueblood. Kinda like taking away a naughty child's favourite toy lol . In truth, I never even knew some soft harsed bugger could even get a cushion to sit on at a match until I saw them flying onto the pitch. ( we were tough kids back then and stood up ) :tango:

Had to stand up cos I'd been snook in cos mi dad were a steward lol 

4 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I think they just withdrew them for the rest of that season Blueblood. Kinda like taking away a naughty child's favourite toy lol . In truth, I never even knew some soft harsed bugger could even get a cushion to sit on at a match until I saw them flying onto the pitch. ( we were tough kids back then and stood up ) :tango:

image.jpeg

IMG_20160622_213453644.jpg

Edited by darra

well here we go , for those who advocate moving plenty know that i had an enforced 20 years away from hilsborough and during that time the only words i got from the ground was briefe writups in the media or even rarer mentions on the tv ,i would be down every saturday and midweek when there was a game on at home as i know it was impossible for me to be there either financially or as my caring job would not permit it ,Now all that changed via owlstalk and it's members ,the megson game was my return to our home as it were and leading up to that i was hoping  that my relief carer would not let me down , i was literaly praying this wouldn't happen ,Well the day came and my heart jumped a little i was up at 4 am like a stupid kid  doing my sorting out for the day and the match wasn't until 3 pm    :), when darra arrived (who i had never met before bless him

) to pick me up i was both nervous and in lala land at the thought of going to a match ,that said when we approached the old girl it stopped my breath i forgot how imposing and majestic she looked and although she needed paint and brightening up it did not matter one iota this was wednesday ,this was hilsborougfh ,my home from home ,the best bit is when i walked inside and at  the top of the stairs the ground appeared it was awesome just awsome ,and i admit it i cried inside a little that day the ground the fans the game the win was all magical to me i was jumping singing even though i didn't know the words ,but it was magic , Now be all and end all those that go every week you  may not feel like i did as it's possibly normal to do for you and you are used to it ,but the truth is do not take the thought of moving lightly as believe you me when it's not there(if it ever comes about)  you will miss the old girl more than you will think ,,

Edited by trevdi9

We should never forget our history and our tradition. Hillsborough is a big part of that. I would never want to move to a plastic soulless bowl, but the old lady needs SERIOUS updating

West Stand

Kop pillars

NW corner

Fan segregation / exits etc

Facilities in all stands except the South.

It could possibly be done bit by bit, but it will be a long slow and expensive process. I hope DC keeps his nerve and enthusiasm, completes the job and the old lady keeps rocking!!!

1 hour ago, darra said:

To play devils advocate what if we moved to somewhere near Meadowhall to a stadium with great parking,loads of food and drink outlets that meant you could get something to eat or drink a lot easier and finally because of the increased revenue from food and drink etc gate and season ticket prices were slightly lower than they are now? Would that soften the blow

Not for me. The only food outlet I need is Beres.

I don't get the food & drink argument thing, you're out for a couple of hours every 2 weeks it's not a boring American sport that goes on for hours, so why do folk need endless food outlets? 

7 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Not for me. The only food outlet I need is Beres.

I don't get the food & drink argument thing, you're out for a couple of hours every 2 weeks it's not a boring American sport that goes on for hours, so why do folk need endless food outlets? 

Don't you go to Beres ?

Owlstalk Shop

39 minutes ago, SS Owl said:

It could possibly be done bit by bit, but it will be a long slow and expensive process. I hope DC keeps his nerve and enthusiasm, completes the job and the old lady keeps rocking!!!

Indeed. West Stand first. Then the Kop, which I think needs totally leveling: bring it closer to the pitch with no walk way at the front. The blunts have plans to extend their kop by 3,000 to make it biggest kop in the UK, we can't allow that, we've got to build something bigger and better.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Why do they want an extra 3000 empty seats?

Good question. It's a bygone plan from when they were in the premier league and got the 30k avg. Seems unlikely they will extend until the prospect of returning to the premier is likely, wiki has this to say "United submitted a revised application for the redevelopment of the stand in 2015, which would see 3,215 seats added to its current capacity."

I've said this before, if you cannot get motivated by playing at Hillsborough then you should not sign for Sheffield Wednesday. There have been players that obviously have not coped with playing at Hillsborough in the past. I love hearing Carlos talk about the fans and what they can do in games at Hillsborough. He gets this club better than some managers who maybe should have done better. Players like Wallace make it very clear that he understands this as well.

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

It isn't a thread simply  about the harrowing events of '89, but that comes into the equation, 

Hillsborough, in my opinion, is a unique sort of place when it comes to football, the history, the tragedy, and the sheer ups and downs of following the side that plays there.

I often wonder if players are  prepared for it, and under perform because of it.

I bet, the first place newly signed players  look at... is the Leppings lane, I bet the first thing  fans of other clubs look at when they first come to Hillsborough...is the leppings lane.

Its a legacy left by circumstances that, at the time were out of control, but the legacy simply hangs over the place, like a shroud.

As a Wednesday fan, the last thing I would want to do is move from Hillsborough, I have learned to carry whatever historical burden there is to carry about the place, secure in the fact that the burden was laid on the place by a myriad of events that culminated here, not that simply "occurred" here.

It leaves me to wonder whether the whole place has created an atmosphere that is hard to dispell, for players, for Wednesday fans, for fans of other clubs, 

I often wonder if Sheffield Wednesday would have been taken over sooner, if we had not "Played at Hillsborough"..If Sheffield Wednesday would be where we, as Owls fans think we should be

if we had not "Played as Hillsborough"

After going through all these thoughts..I simply say

"We are Sheffield Wednesday.."We play at Hillsborough"...and I hope we always "Play at Hillsborough"

You can't change the past and its time to look to the future, the future is "Playing at Hillsborough"..

anyone else got any thoughts on the subject..

sorry but if you think players under perform at Hillsboro because of the tragedy then your living in cloud  cuckoo land .....I think your right that the 1st place away fans look at is the lepp but that's because that's where there sitting ......" I have learned to carry whatever historical burden there is to carry about the place " wtf does that mean ?........as for the place" creating an atmosphere that is hard to dispell for players" it didn't seem to dispell the early 90s team to much .......people bang on about Hillsboro because of the police cover up not because of the ground .nobody says  they should knock down  or move away from ibrox or valley parade ....tragedies happen  that ours is still headline news is  to do with people who policed it not our stadium or club .

We have all the space we will ever need at Hillsborough.

The Leppings Lane end could easily be redeveloped with a brand new stand capable of holding 12,000 people (just look at all the space behind it), thoroughly modern concourses, a proper memorial to the 96 (R.I.P.) and appropriate flexible segregation arrangements so that we can kick SAG into touch.

The Kop if levelled and rebuilt as a modern two-tiered stand would be easily capable of having a capacity between 15-18k again with everything designed for the comfort, convenience and safety of the fans.

In time the North too could be rebuilt with a capacity of c 15k

We have sufficient space on the existing site to build a stadium capable of holding 55k+ fans. All we need is the will to go ahead.

Can't see too many problems with rebuilding the Lep but the North and Kop could pose bigger problems I reckon with possible ground closures H&S being what it is these days. As for placing a proper memorial on the Lep why? As I understand it the families were consulted every step of the way with the current memorial and what is now there is exactly what they wanted and where they wanted it.

Edited by darra

Really don't think Hillsborough disaster has any bearing on how the players perform at home.

The best years Sheffield Wednesday ever had in my lifetime were the early 1990's when everybody in the crowd and the players could remember what happened, even most were not there that day and it didn't seem to effect many people then.

I guess the current players know what happened but doubt they spend time thinking about it.