Jump to content
asteener1867

Coping with Hillsborough...

Recommended Posts

Ive played at Hillsborough a couple of times and found it to be a place that feels like it is steeped in footballing history,not for the wrong reasons like the 1989 incident either. I never once thought about the terrible history of the Leppings Lane end either. 

 

I can imagine players preferring the stadium compared to something like Derby or the Ricoh Arena etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, s110wl said:

i think if we did move; you'd have to literally drag me from my seat at the final whistle of the last game. Probably with tears streaming down my face!!

Only shed tears at football twice, a hidden one or two in car on way home after 1983 semi final as a 13 year old, then quite openly at millenium for a few seconds wishing my dad was still around to be there with me. I know without question I would openly bawl my eyes out if we moved from Hillsborough, think I would be holding onto you trying not to let anyone drag me/us out ofor the ground. Bet there's a lot more who would feel the same. Swfc is part of me, and nothing defines Swfc like Hillsborough, a part of me would die if we ever moved. Could understand why and would still go, but for me Hillsborough means Swfc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, madfan said:

Food for thought there Asteener. you sum it up well. Thing is if Mr Chansiri wants to build us a new stadium - he will.

 

Don't want no stinkin new stadium.

 

Just pull down the away end and do it up proper, the rest of the ground can follow in due course when appropriate.    Leave 96 forever unused standing spaces in the new stand that is built, the rest a modern up to date 2000's stand, ready to be built around.

Edited by salmonbones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

If we decide to stay or go I hope it is on the grounds of access and development rather than the events of 1989. 

 

Was on the pitch and with the dead and dying that day so i don't have the option to forget the 96 nor would I want to. However I've said for 25 years that the best thing SWFC could do would be embrace what happened.

 

Plonking a piece of concrete outside the suits entrance to the South is just ..... Wrong! Much better to incorporate a worthy memorial into a rebuilt West Stand - a permanent flame or something similar for the 96 and ALL those round the world who have died in stadium tragedies. 

 

If it was properly done it would demonstrate that our club cares deeply about what happened and would be a focus for visiting fans who could leave scarves on railings etc and relatives could visit properly on the anniversary - In other words turn that sadness into a feature of footballs solidarity in the city that gave the world the game.

Great post mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I assume you mean about starting from scratch?

 

Couple of reasons.

 

I don't think Hillsborough has or ever will be as friendly as it can be for home/visiting fans making their way to and from the ground, perhaps a site which has easier access to the M1 would make that better.

 

Additionally in relation to one of the orginal points I made, the ground wasn't built with all seater stadia in mind. Having pillars in the way of a view is pretty annoying and will become more of an issue if the demand for tickets goes up should we reach the PL. 

 

 

But surely redeveloping would sort out the problems. As for the away fans, foook em. They either turn up or they don't. As an away fan I hate the out of town grounds anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

But surely redeveloping would sort out the problems. As for the away fans, foook em. They either turn up or they don't. As an away fan I hate the out of town grounds anyway.

Yeah - like I said, my preference would be for us to redevelop where we are but it probably won't be the only consideration if/when we decide to do so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

No that's not what I'm getting at.

 

It's tired, it's old and looks a cow.

 

It's got bloody Piller's everywhere, it's old and ramshackle, because of underinvestment.

 

That's why we have sag shiting themselves over a large crowd and there are large parts closed off.

 

There is no "charm" it's chuffing horrid and it needs sorting.

 

Charm in every brick, seat, flag, stand, blade of grass, toilet, step, kiosk, door, wall, shop, turnstile clicking, roof, car park, river, floodlights, suites, boxes, every single player, fan, manager, backroom staff, the whole bloody lot are perfection.

 

Would hate to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Holmes said:

 

Charm in every brick, seat, flag, stand, blade of grass, toilet, step, kiosk, door, wall, shop, turnstile clicking, roof, car park, river, floodlights, suites, boxes, every single player, fan, manager, backroom staff, the whole bloody lot are perfection.

 

Would hate to move.

Well said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Yeah - like I said, my preference would be for us to redevelop where we are but it probably won't be the only consideration if/when we decide to do so.

 

 

I know you did mate I just don't get why these days it's necessarily a better idea to move. Man u, Liverpool and Chelsea seem to see it differently I don't know why we can't/won't. The only move I could possibly accept would be across the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

No that's not what I'm getting at.

 

It's tired, it's old and looks a cow.

 

It's got bloody Piller's everywhere, it's old and ramshackle, because of underinvestment.

 

That's why we have sag shiting themselves over a large crowd and there are large parts closed off.

 

There is no "charm" it's chuffing horrid and it needs sorting.

 

If you mean pillars, there are 2 on The Kop, 2 on the West Stand. That is a total of 4.

Not exactly everywhere.

 

P.S. Reading your post reminded me of what my brother and cousin says about our ground. They are both pigs.... are you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, archieswfc said:

I know you did mate I just don't get why these days it's necessarily a better idea to move. Man u, Liverpool and Chelsea seem to see it differently I don't know why we can't/won't. The only move I could possibly accept would be across the road.

Which might not be a bad call to be fair. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To play devils advocate what if we moved to somewhere near Meadowhall to a stadium with great parking,loads of food and drink outlets that meant you could get something to eat or drink a lot easier and finally because of the increased revenue from food and drink etc gate and season ticket prices were slightly lower than they are now? Would that soften the blow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darra said:

To play devils advocate what if we moved to somewhere near Meadowhall to a stadium with great parking,loads of food and drink outlets that meant you could get something to eat or drink a lot easier and finally because of the increased revenue from food and drink etc gate and season ticket prices were slightly lower than they are now? Would that soften the blow

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I appreciate people died and I have full respect for the dead, but how many times does this need dragging up?

 

Valley Parade barely gets a mention, Heysel never happened, there was also a disaster at Ibrox don't you know? But we're the only one that has to demolish the ground/ move away and keep letting folk rake it up time and time again. It's time we just stopped taking a beating over it.

 

RIP 96

 

http://www.stadiumguide.com/timelines/stadium-disasters/

 

Sadly the infamy has lingered because of the ongoing scandal of the cover up. If the Interim Taylor Report had been accepted by SYP then Hillsborough probably would have returned to simply being the name of a football ground rather than a disaster and a campaign.

 

As for future of the ground - I love it and would hate to move. It depends what future the club wants and whether the existing stadium and site can cope with the changes.

 

The Lep needs demolishing, the Kop is a terrace on a hill designed for standing not seats, the North Stand is over half a century old. The sense of history gives the ground an unmatched aura when it's full - but its sheer age means if Chansiri wants a 21st Century stadium there's a **** of a lot of work to do.  And modern safety regulations which will get tighter and tighter will continue to take their toll. 

 

If he's here for the long haul I expect we'll eventually move. I hope not - I don't give a fig about boxes, corporate facilities and the like but I'm not bothered about the Premier League either.  I just love watching Wednesday play in blue and white stripes at Hillsborough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we never leave Hillsborough. I'm not saying I'd never go to a new ground,  cos I'd go a couple of times a season. But there'd be no season ticket from me. I get we haven't always been at Hillsborough and if we're honest we're a bit of a nomad club with all the grounds we've had. But in my lifetime Wednesday play at Hillsborough and awlays should. It's bad enough we've lost the stripes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I reckon way before Morris mate..but as a resident on the Kop from 1960 odd...I stand to be corrected

I remember them being withdrawn in the '69/'70 season after thous..... er, hundreds of 'em ended up on the pitch versus Liverpool. The ref had given some horrible decisions in their favour all through the match then, all of a sudden like, all these feckin cushions started raining down on the pitch out of the canti. And no !!!! Before any bugger says it ; those bad decisions never evened themselves out over that season. They just kept coming and coming in a relentless procession one after the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Only shed tears at football twice, a hidden one or two in car on way home after 1983 semi final as a 13 year old, then quite openly at millenium for a few seconds wishing my dad was still around to be there with me. I know without question I would openly bawl my eyes out if we moved from Hillsborough, think I would be holding onto you trying not to let anyone drag me/us out ofor the ground. Bet there's a lot more who would feel the same. Swfc is part of me, and nothing defines Swfc like Hillsborough, a part of me would die if we ever moved. Could understand why and would still go, but for me Hillsborough means Swfc.

I'll join that human chain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, darra said:

To play devils advocate what if we moved to somewhere near Meadowhall to a stadium with great parking,loads of food and drink outlets that meant you could get something to eat or drink a lot easier and finally because of the increased revenue from food and drink etc gate and season ticket prices were slightly lower than they are now? Would that soften the blow

It's part of what goes into the decision making equation.

 

The truth is, the whole matchday experience needs to be improved and whether that's the club doing that inside the ground where it is or considering relocating to an area that gives better access to those amenities.

 

The game has changed and so have the dynamics of the viewing audience that is attracted to watching a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chairman has some money, but not enough to build a great stadium. We will end up on some god awful wind-swept industrial locale near meadowhall, and have a cinder block bowl like Pride Park or Riverside. 

 

The only option is staying at Hillsborough and updating / rebuilding the kop and lep. History has seeped into the 'bones' of our grand old lady of stadium, some of it may be heart breaking in terms of the disaster, but I'd prefer to retain the history - good and bad - than start anew in a sterile bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×