Coping with Hillsborough...

1 minute ago, Warnocchio said:

Fair play. Me too my great grandad onwards all match going owls. I follow Wednesday not football. Good way of putting it.

But my idols when i started going wore blue shirts with white sleeves. The kop didnt have a roof. 

Change is natural. Staying exactly the same isnt. I can understand why you dont want things to change but i dont agree and more importantly it isnt possible. If we moved from Hillsborough it would be git wrenching. Where my dad carried me over the turnstiles when i was 4 till far too old. But i want Wednesday to make new memories for me and my kids. 

Im happy to accept change for the right reasons. 

Fair comment mate....I just can't see the reasons..........

14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

For me...mainly selfish.,..

Its not within living memory, Hillsborough is where we have always played and the blue and white stripes are what I have always followed.

Now fair enough if you actually take the pilgrimage to Olive grove and bemoan the fate that befell it, for me its totally different, and that difference is the reason I follow the club.

Why would Wednesday throw away history and tradition?, cos the be all and end all of it..is..Thats ALL we have...

Fair enough if you want to join the Prem and become the "New" Watford, battling for scraps and getting on SKY once a every 2 months.

I don't follow Wednesday because of football..I like football, but I don't follow Wednesday because of it..I like The Wednesday, I like Hillsborough..I like the colour f.ookin' BLUE..and I like white stripes.

Admittedly all ridiculous reasons, but its inbred and set in stone for me...

Put it this way pal; I'm enjoying your ramblings about Wednesday in this thread a lot more than I am enjoying the liverpool/southampton game on the box...

If we decide to stay or go I hope it is on the grounds of access and development rather than the events of 1989. 

Was on the pitch and with the dead and dying that day so i don't have the option to forget the 96 nor would I want to. However I've said for 25 years that the best thing SWFC could do would be embrace what happened.

Plonking a piece of concrete outside the suits entrance to the South is just ..... Wrong! Much better to incorporate a worthy memorial into a rebuilt West Stand - a permanent flame or something similar for the 96 and ALL those round the world who have died in stadium tragedies. 

If it was properly done it would demonstrate that our club cares deeply about what happened and would be a focus for visiting fans who could leave scarves on railings etc and relatives could visit properly on the anniversary - In other words turn that sadness into a feature of footballs solidarity in the city that gave the world the game.

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I appreciate people died and I have full respect for the dead, but how many times does this need dragging up?

Valley Parade barely gets a mention, Heysel never happened, there was also a disaster at Ibrox don't you know? But we're the only one that has to demolish the ground/ move away and keep letting folk rake it up time and time again. It's time we just stopped taking a beating over it.

RIP 96

http://www.stadiumguide.com/timelines/stadium-disasters/

I agree however Heysel was bulldozed and Valley Parade is almost unrecognisable from the time of the disaster, however the Lep hasn't changed bar the seats.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

It isn't a thread simply  about the harrowing events of '89, but that comes into the equation, 

Hillsborough, in my opinion, is a unique sort of place when it comes to football, the history, the tragedy, and the sheer ups and downs of following the side that plays there.

I often wonder if players are  prepared for it, and under perform because of it.

I bet, the first place newly signed players  look at... is the Leppings lane, I bet the first thing  fans of other clubs look at when they first come to Hillsborough...is the leppings lane.

Its a legacy left by circumstances that, at the time were out of control, but the legacy simply hangs over the place, like a shroud.

As a Wednesday fan, the last thing I would want to do is move from Hillsborough, I have learned to carry whatever historical burden there is to carry about the place, secure in the fact that the burden was laid on the place by a myriad of events that culminated here, not that simply "occurred" here.

It leaves me to wonder whether the whole place has created an atmosphere that is hard to dispell, for players, for Wednesday fans, for fans of other clubs, 

I often wonder if Sheffield Wednesday would have been taken over sooner, if we had not "Played at Hillsborough"..If Sheffield Wednesday would be where we, as Owls fans think we should be

if we had not "Played as Hillsborough"

After going through all these thoughts..I simply say

"We are Sheffield Wednesday.."We play at Hillsborough"...and I hope we always "Play at Hillsborough"

You can't change the past and its time to look to the future, the future is "Playing at Hillsborough"..

anyone else got any thoughts on the subject..

Could just change the name of the ground to Owlsborough

1 hour ago, darra said:

Mr C has big things planned for our club when we get to the premiership and the sad truth is that those plans will require us to move. Hillsborough would need a major overhaul to improve the concourses etc. This would require buying a good deal of the surrounding area for a start.

Nowt wrong with the World Cup plans

I honestly don't see the "outdated" argument...I mean it might just be me, but I simply want somewhere to watch Wednesday, If its bouncin' and getting thrown about on a terrace, or sat .

I mean what do you want?, f.ookin' waitress service?, some sort of sanitised WIFI bowl where you can check stocks an' shares...toilets where some f.ooker apologises when he fa*ts?

Folk complaining cos they can still see a faded "Presto" sign on the West...I mean what the f.ook do you go for if you are just looking at the decor?

No that's not what I'm getting at.

It's tired, it's old and looks a cow.

It's got bloody Piller's everywhere, it's old and ramshackle, because of underinvestment.

That's why we have sag shiting themselves over a large crowd and there are large parts closed off.

There is no "charm" it's chuffing horrid and it needs sorting.

1 hour ago, fatbloke no1 said:

flask ban was lifted start of season

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE.....

I can now bring my flask....why do they still search us as the turnstyles then?

I use the Lep entrance to the North and there is a line of stewards frisking everyone....what are they looking for then?

Be me done that mate....

No doubt I would summon up a "Yay" when The Wednesday of Sheffield scored a goal at the sodding "M61/62/meadowhall interchange arena"..playing in their blue shirts, turquoise socks wiv red trims...but thats just me...I'm a dinosaur when it comes to that sort of stuff..I wouldn't be there though

For me...mainly selfish.,..

Its not within living memory, Hillsborough is where we have always played and the blue and white stripes are what I have always followed.

Now fair enough if you actually take the pilgrimage to Olive grove and bemoan the fate that befell it, for me its totally different, and that difference is the reason I follow the club.

Why would Wednesday throw away history and tradition?, cos the be all and end all of it..is..Thats ALL we have...

Fair enough if you want to join the Prem and become the "New" Watford, battling for scraps and getting on SKY once a every 2 months.

I don't follow Wednesday because of football..I like football, but I don't follow Wednesday because of it..I like The Wednesday, I like Hillsborough..I like the colour f.ookin' BLUE..and I like white stripes.

Admittedly all ridiculous reasons, but its inbred and set in stone for me...

Agree with every word. 

I've never taken the view of wishing the disaster had never happened at our club's ground, I just wish it had never happened full stop.

The West Stand is a constant reminder to any fan that visits Hillsborough as little has been changed since that time.

That aside and because of the advent of all seater stadia, we have a stadium that is being used away from what the original purpose of certain areas of the ground where intended for. 

I'd love to see the ground redeveloped to bring it into the modern era - that would always be my preference however in this day and age it may be better to start from scratch somewhere else.

1 minute ago, WatfordOwl said:

I've never taken the view of wishing the disaster had never happened at our club's ground, I just wish it had never happened full stop.

The West Stand is a constant reminder to any fan that visits Hillsborough as little has been changed since that time.

That aside and because of the advent of all seater stadia, we have a stadium that is being used away from what the original purpose of certain areas of the ground where intended for. 

I'd love to see the ground redeveloped to bring it into the modern era - that would always be my preference however in this day and age it may be better to start from scratch somewhere else.

That last paragraph. Can I ask why?

2 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

That last paragraph. Can I ask why?

I assume you mean about starting from scratch?

Couple of reasons.

I don't think Hillsborough has or ever will be as friendly as it can be for home/visiting fans making their way to and from the ground, perhaps a site which has easier access to the M1 would make that better.

Additionally in relation to one of the orginal points I made, the ground wasn't built with all seater stadia in mind. Having pillars in the way of a view is pretty annoying and will become more of an issue if the demand for tickets goes up should we reach the PL. 

Ive played at Hillsborough a couple of times and found it to be a place that feels like it is steeped in footballing history,not for the wrong reasons like the 1989 incident either. I never once thought about the terrible history of the Leppings Lane end either. 

I can imagine players preferring the stadium compared to something like Derby or the Ricoh Arena etc 

1 hour ago, s110wl said:

i think if we did move; you'd have to literally drag me from my seat at the final whistle of the last game. Probably with tears streaming down my face!!

Only shed tears at football twice, a hidden one or two in car on way home after 1983 semi final as a 13 year old, then quite openly at millenium for a few seconds wishing my dad was still around to be there with me. I know without question I would openly bawl my eyes out if we moved from Hillsborough, think I would be holding onto you trying not to let anyone drag me/us out ofor the ground. Bet there's a lot more who would feel the same. Swfc is part of me, and nothing defines Swfc like Hillsborough, a part of me would die if we ever moved. Could understand why and would still go, but for me Hillsborough means Swfc.