Coping with Hillsborough...

I do wish we'd demolish the Lepp and build a new stand as it's an unfortunate reminder. But I'd like to think that when a player signs for us the first thing they think out on the pitch isn't about the 96 who died behind one of the goals. That's not to dismiss what Liverpool went through as a club and community, but the romantic part of me hopes new players would be awestruck by our support (especially if they've come from a smaller club) rather than reflecting on the tragedy that took place here. There's a time and a place for recognising what happened in our ground, it happens to me every so often when I walk past the memorial and can't help but stop and look at it and reflect.

You can extend Hillsborough for f.ookin' miles!!!

Kop goes over Penistone, nice tunnel for the road to go through...South?...same thing...Hillsborough park is massive...little tunnel for the road to go through...

I could work mit out where the West goes up to Worrall....wiv the tunnel thingies....

12 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

And Chelsea have less space than us. Railway at one end and Kings road at other.

There's acres behind Chelsea's ground at the Kings Road end.....iirc they've already got a hotel, possibly 2 at that end.

and the railway side already has a 3 tier stand 

In fact you could probably build another ground between the back of Chelsea's ground and the Kings Road

Edited by Ian

Mr C has big things planned for our club when we get to the premiership and the sad truth is that those plans will require us to move. Hillsborough would need a major overhaul to improve the concourses etc. This would require buying a good deal of the surrounding area for a start.

6 minutes ago, darra said:

Mr C has big things planned for our club when we get to the premiership and the sad truth is that those plans will require us to move. Hillsborough would need a major overhaul to improve the concourses etc. This would require buying a good deal of the surrounding area for a start.

Be me done that mate....

No doubt I would summon up a "Yay" when The Wednesday of Sheffield scored a goal at the sodding "M61/62/meadowhall interchange arena"..playing in their blue shirts, turquoise socks wiv red trims...but thats just me...I'm a dinosaur when it comes to that sort of stuff..I wouldn't be there though

I love it. 

I know that the facilities aren't the best. 

I know that people would like something new and built for purpose.

(Having somewhere to watch football is the only purpose I have ...but I understand that these days people want more than just a seat that faces the pitch.  I often hear that at other grounds it's about 'the match day experience.'  I'd be quite happy to experience some pacy attacking football. That's all I want. But we live in different times I suppose. 

People want more. I'm not sure what they want other than a good team,  but they do. And I'm sure they'll tell me! )

Sorry. I digress...

It's true the away end does have a silent aura. 

During another 0-0 under Stuart Gray the other season (not knocking him - tremendous defensive record and results with the tools available) and during one laboriously boring passage of play I found my self looking at the bottom of the Lepp. And I openly admit to casting my mind back and remembering those fences. It took no effort at all in my minds eye to remove the seats and I could see again that terracing. I didn't do it last season. I was too busy watching some of the best talent we've had in decades. 

But thinkin about it, I'm sure  others must glance over there.

especially non regular visitors .

Ive sometimes seen oppostions players pointing in the warm ups.

I can't say I think it will overly impact on players. When the games going I think they just get on with it. Both theirs and ours. 

A lot of them these days won't remember the events even. 

Back to main point. I'd never want to leave. It's where I went with my father. And he with his father before him. 

I remember the awe the first time I walked up the steps and saw the pitch. I still get an involuntary smile even now when I get the first glance of the grass. 

When I look over at our magnificent KOP. 

Whilst id always want to be there and am ,in an odd way, proud that we still have a 'proper' four sided ground  (I'd still like pylon floodlights too but we can't have it all!) I would fully understand if the Lepp was to be replaced. Another stand put on top of it. 

Someone once opined ro me rat he sometimes wished we'd change the name of the ground,  because the only time people say it...The association is what others think of.

"Google it" he said to me. Pages and pages and none Wednesday related. 

And I did. And he was right. 

And maybe it has put investors off. (Though not as much as the debt, I'd wager)

But here's the thing...

For me Hillsborough isn't that association. Yes, I had that maudlin glance. But that was just an odd moment in the years that have passed, and only fractions of a a second.  

For me that name is me and my dad. It is Curran, and Big Jack. Howard and Mel. Big Ron and Roland. Trevor and Chrissy.

It's Andy Blair in his trainers.

Its Ola Tidman trying to rescue an injured bird (with better handling than usual it has to be said). Its Nigel Worthington running with his thumbs tucked in funny. 

It's where I sat (and stood too at one time) with chaps I still know, and some now long gone. 

It's knocking the hat off a a miserable old cove in front and kissing his bald pate when Sheridan scores against Blackburn after taking pelters from morons for a few weeks (moaners are nothing new, kids).

It's the two pigeons which my neighbour considered an unlucky omen. "Oh Christ, them b.a.stards are here!" He'd say pointing up at the roof "We'll get not tonight ,now".

It's Colin Wests penalty. 

It's .......Hillsborough 

55 minutes ago, s110wl said:

you make an interesting point about what first comes to mind for away fans/plays/staff when they visit Hillsborough. 

For me, due to my age (26), I'm not really sure I was even aware of the disaster until I was about 10 - and by that point I was already accustomed to visiting the ground and had already fallen in love.

I'd rather lose a couple of toes than move ground.

Agree completely with regards to the point to do with your age, fans of 40 years plus may give it a thought but not players we sign .

6 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

We didnt always play at Hillsborough. We didnt always have blue and white stripes. 

If its an improvement on what we have why would we not do it. 

For me...mainly selfish.,..

Its not within living memory, Hillsborough is where we have always played and the blue and white stripes are what I have always followed.

Now fair enough if you actually take the pilgrimage to Olive grove and bemoan the fate that befell it, for me its totally different, and that difference is the reason I follow the club.

Why would Wednesday throw away history and tradition?, cos the be all and end all of it..is..Thats ALL we have...

Fair enough if you want to join the Prem and become the "New" Watford, battling for scraps and getting on SKY once a every 2 months.

I don't follow Wednesday because of football..I like football, but I don't follow Wednesday because of it..I like The Wednesday, I like Hillsborough..I like the colour f.ookin' BLUE..and I like white stripes.

Admittedly all ridiculous reasons, but its inbred and set in stone for me...

34 minutes ago, Ian said:

There's acres behind Chelsea's ground at the Kings Road end.....iirc they've already got a hotel, possibly 2 at that end.

and the railway side already has a 3 tier stand 

In fact you could probably build another ground between the back of Chelsea's ground and the Kings Road

There's probably a bit more space behind the goal at kings road end than our kop. Chelsea have built up rather than outwards. The 3 tier stand on the east side is bang next to a railway as well as the north end of the ground. They cannot build outwards anywhere apart from knocking down the hotel they have. The kings road end of the ground is the  real space but having said that its not as much as what you think. We aint played there in ages but I remember the north/away end is bang onto a railway which makes access and exiting a problem.  

56 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I appreciate people died and I have full respect for the dead, but how many times does this need dragging up?

Valley Parade barely gets a mention, Heysel never happened, there was also a disaster at Ibrox don't you know? But we're the only one that has to demolish the ground/ move away and keep letting folk rake it up time and time again. It's time we just stopped taking a beating over it.

RIP 96

http://www.stadiumguide.com/timelines/stadium-disasters/

spot on mate, ibrox has had 2 disasters but nobody wants it knocking down. Just aswell with it being a listed building

39 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

You can extend Hillsborough for f.ookin' miles!!!

Kop goes over Penistone, nice tunnel for the road to go through...South?...same thing...Hillsborough park is massive...little tunnel for the road to go through...

I could work mit out where the West goes up to Worrall....wiv the tunnel thingies....

Get it sorted...I could ride down on matchday on my soapbox cartie ftom my Mums in Worrall...Dennis the Menace stylee!!...Id get some right speed up!!

13 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

For me...mainly selfish.,..

Its not within living memory, Hillsborough is where we have always played and the blue and white stripes are what I have always followed.

Now fair enough if you actually take the pilgrimage to Olive grove and bemoan the fate that befell it, for me its totally different, and that difference is the reason I follow the club.

Why would Wednesday throw away history and tradition?, cos the be all and end all of it..is..Thats ALL we have...

Fair enough if you want to join the Prem and become the "New" Watford, battling for scraps and getting on SKY once a every 2 months.

I don't follow Wednesday because of football..I like football, but I don't follow Wednesday because of it..I like The Wednesday, I like Hillsborough..I like the colour f.ookin' BLUE..and I like white stripes.

Admittedly all ridiculous reasons, but its inbred and set in stone for me...

Fair play. Me too my great grandad onwards all match going owls. I follow Wednesday not football. Good way of putting it.

But my idols when i started going wore blue shirts with white sleeves. The kop didnt have a roof. 

Change is natural. Staying exactly the same isnt. I can understand why you dont want things to change but i dont agree and more importantly it isnt possible. If we moved from Hillsborough it would be gut wrenching. Where my dad carried me over the turnstiles when i was 4 till far too old. But i want Wednesday to make new memories for me and my kids. 

Im happy to accept change for the right reasons. 

Edited by Warnocchio