Coping with Hillsborough...

It isn't a thread simply  about the harrowing events of '89, but that comes into the equation, 

Hillsborough, in my opinion, is a unique sort of place when it comes to football, the history, the tragedy, and the sheer ups and downs of following the side that plays there.

I often wonder if players are  prepared for it, and under perform because of it.

I bet, the first place newly signed players  look at... is the Leppings lane, I bet the first thing  fans of other clubs look at when they first come to Hillsborough...is the leppings lane.

Its a legacy left by circumstances that, at the time were out of control, but the legacy simply hangs over the place, like a shroud.

As a Wednesday fan, the last thing I would want to do is move from Hillsborough, I have learned to carry whatever historical burden there is to carry about the place, secure in the fact that the burden was laid on the place by a myriad of events that culminated here, not that simply "occurred" here.

It leaves me to wonder whether the whole place has created an atmosphere that is hard to dispell, for players, for Wednesday fans, for fans of other clubs, 

I often wonder if Sheffield Wednesday would have been taken over sooner, if we had not "Played at Hillsborough"..If Sheffield Wednesday would be where we, as Owls fans think we should be

if we had not "Played as Hillsborough"

After going through all these thoughts..I simply say

"We are Sheffield Wednesday.."We play at Hillsborough"...and I hope we always "Play at Hillsborough"

You can't change the past and its time to look to the future, the future is "Playing at Hillsborough"..

anyone else got any thoughts on the subject..

Think we have two choices, rebuild, a bit at a time. Update the area around Hillsborough at the same time.

Or start again elsewhere.

Personally, I'm not sure which I prefer. What I do know is that Hillsborough is knackered and outdated and that keeps getting hammered by those at SAG.

Something has to change.

Edited by Maddogbob

you make an interesting point about what first comes to mind for away fans/plays/staff when they visit Hillsborough. 

For me, due to my age (26), I'm not really sure I was even aware of the disaster until I was about 10 - and by that point I was already accustomed to visiting the ground and had already fallen in love.

I'd rather lose a couple of toes than move ground.

I appreciate people died and I have full respect for the dead, but how many times does this need dragging up?

Valley Parade barely gets a mention, Heysel never happened, there was also a disaster at Ibrox don't you know? But we're the only one that has to demolish the ground/ move away and keep letting folk rake it up time and time again. It's time we just stopped taking a beating over it.

RIP 96

http://www.stadiumguide.com/timelines/stadium-disasters/

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Think we have two choices, rebuild, a bit at a time. Update the area around Hillsborough at the same time.

Or start again elsewhere.

Personally, I'm not sure which I prefer. What I do know is that Hillsborough is knackered and outdated and that keeps getting hammered by those at SAG.

Something has to change.

I honestly don't see the "outdated" argument...I mean it might just be me, but I simply want somewhere to watch Wednesday, If its bouncin' and getting thrown about on a terrace, or sat .

I mean what do you want?, f.ookin' waitress service?, some sort of sanitised WIFI bowl where you can check stocks an' shares...toilets where some f.ooker apologises when he fa*ts?

Folk complaining cos they can still see a faded "Presto" sign on the West...I mean what the f.ook do you go for if you are just looking at the decor?

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I honestly don't see the "outdated" argument...I mean it might just be me, but I simply want somewhere to watch Wednesday, If its bouncin' and getting thrown about on a terrace, or sat .

I mean what do you want?, f.ookin' waitress service?, some sort of sanitised WIFI bowl where you can check stocks an' shares...toilets where some f.ooker apologises when he fa*ts?

Folk complaining cos they can still see a faded "Presto" sign on the West...I mean what the f.ook do you go for if you are just looking at the decor?

I can see parts of it being listed as grounds like ours become rarer.

Seriously.

6 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I appreciate people died and I have full respect for the dead, but how many times does this need dragging up?

Valley Parade barely gets a mention, Heysel never happened, there was also a disaster at Ibrox don't you know? But we're the only one that has to demolish the ground/ move away and keep letting folk rake it up time and time again. It's time we just stopped taking a beating over it.

RIP 96

http://www.stadiumguide.com/timelines/stadium-disasters/

My thoughts exactly but put more tactful than I ever could.

2 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Not been the same since they took away the North Stand cushions. Once I didnt have anything to fling at Chris Morris the magic was gone for me.

Mate..If you threw a "North stand cushion" at Chris Morris, you had nicked it from a museum..lol