The cursed grounds

1 hour ago, ForzaWednesday said:

What are the away grounds you've visited that turned out to be the unluckiest - the ones where Wednesday seemed cursed?

For me it would have to be Highbury, where I went three times in the late eighties and early nineties to see them lose 3-1. 5-0 and 7-1. When we did get a result (a 3-3 draw) it wasn't enough to save us and we were relegated by Arsenal.

In second place, Pride Park, where we've never won since the place was built in 1997

Honourable mentions for Goodison Park in the eighties and Colchester's old Layer Road stadium, where we habitually lost, the outstanding memory being the 4-0 thumping on a Tuesday night that got Paul Sturrock sacked

We have won at pride park definitely - Leon best scored.

1 minute ago, keefdave said:

In the dark old days (80's), Port Vale was a baaastard

Never got much at Shrewsbury too, if my memory serves me right, never been myself though. Endured defeats at Highbury on many occasions and also Pride Park, did see us win and draw at Baseball ground though, both in our way to Wembley. Donny is a funny one, think we never lost at Belle Vue, but never get anything (even a goal) at the keepmoat.

16 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Highbury for me, been there near on everytime we played 'em since I started..Loved the ground, bloody results were hopeless though...couple of draws if i recall, one in the marathon F.A cup tie

If you walked out on 90 minutes you could pretend we won that one. Spawny Arsenal that game equalised well into injury time.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I remember us winning at Pride Park once 2-0. Off top of my head it was last game of season about 10 years ago.

I remember us winning 2-0 as well last game of the season as i had a big argument with one of our more neanderthal fans singing racist crap at Derby players. I asked what he would do if Yoann Folly scored for us would he call him a N word C word which is what he had been singing at the Black Derby players the entire 1st half  his reply after taking about a minute to compute the question was " He plays for us" 

Just now, Mr Mercury said:

Derby for me, both Baseball Ground and Pride Park. Never seen us win at either & seen last minute goal losses at both ... aaarrgghh

I remember a win at the baseball ground in the league cup run 90/91 John Harkes shot

Guest Fletchers head guard

The Ipro. Been the last 5 times and still not won 

Seen Bannan McGugan and COG score worldies there though 

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

I've / we've only been to Stevenage once - that went well.

Yeah I remember most of us were in the boozer for half time. Honourable mention to Carlisle about a month later winning 1-0 at half time  and about 10 into the second half 3-1 down. To say we went up that year we had some really wee wee poor performances away from home. WTF:

Forgot about another 2 for me.  I went about 6 times without success,  then got a "free do" courtesy of candy to see Liverpool lose at Anfield for the first time against bleeding Wimbledon. A few more visits before I finally got to see us win there. Then there was a long time curse at another ground, I'm not sure how often I had been there without seeing us win a competitive match (but is was too often) before Spurr and Tudgay finally broke a 50 year? wait to win at Bramall lane. Couldn't pick a worse ground to have a hoodoo at than there, but the scenes when we finally did it (and completed the double) will live with me forever.