The cursed grounds

What are the away grounds you've visited that turned out to be the unluckiest - the ones where Wednesday seemed cursed?

For me it would have to be Highbury, where I went three times in the late eighties and early nineties to see them lose 3-1. 5-0 and 7-1. When we did get a result (a 3-3 draw) it wasn't enough to save us and we were relegated by Arsenal.

In second place, Pride Park, where we've never won since the place was built in 1997

Honourable mentions for Goodison Park in the eighties and Colchester's old Layer Road stadium, where we habitually lost, the outstanding memory being the 4-0 thumping on a Tuesday night that got Paul Sturrock sacked

1 minute ago, ForzaWednesday said:

What are the away grounds you've visited that turned out to be the unluckiest - the ones where Wednesday seemed cursed?

For me it would have to be Highbury, where I went three times in the late eighties and early nineties to see them lose 3-1. 5-0 and 7-1. When we did get a result (a 3-3 draw) it wasn't enough to save us and we were relegated by Arsenal.

In second place, Pride Park, where we've never won since the place was built in 1997

Honourable mentions for Goodison Park in the eighties and Colchester's old Layer Road stadium, where we habitually lost, the outstanding memory being the 4-0 thumping on a Tuesday night that got Paul Sturrock sacked

I remember us winning at Pride Park once 2-0. Off top of my head it was last game of season about 10 years ago.

Blackpool, only when there for the 'sun' and beer, with superstar striker Kim Olsen Lethal useless from 6 yards, got smashed 4-1, and a bloke almost got arrested for nicking a female coppers hate when we scored lol 

I know we have won there, but that was my worstestest away game.

16 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I've / we've only been to Stevenage once - that went well.

I do on occasion go to a business meeting just round the corner and every time I go near that stadium I get a cold sweat on

The only grounds I've been to more than once and seen us lose every time are the Madejski (2-1 when Sibon scored, and the 6-0 horror show) and The Dell (1-0 in the Prem and 3-1 in the FA Cup).

Other than that, Highbury (7-1 and 1-0 in the league and 2-1 in the League Cup) is probably the worst for me, but I did see us get a 0-0 boredraw there.

The MK Dons ground is one of those where the lower tier is below ground level - ie dug a hole to build it. The cold just sits in there

8 minutes ago, flo said:

MK Dons and Bolton are really really cold and really really boring each time I've gone. 

I remember us winning at MK Dons 4-1 with a Neil Mellor Hat Trick of headers (I think), a cracking game but every other time I have been there its been like watching a friendly.

Bolton is a very soulless ground, middle of nowhere and not even in Bolton.

1 hour ago, Andoverowl said:

Madjeski stadium

This for me too, was lucky to go to the 6-0 and 5-0 and countless other 2-0's. Then the year I decided not to go we won with Afobe scoring. Haven't been able to go back since coz I know it will just be painful 

Edited by Southie_Owl