Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

33 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

This is really hurting us , im suprised we are still in the p/o We have 4 out and out strikers and only 2 of them are scoring 1 has been out for weeks with injury (hooper)and the other is a little quiet(fletch) 

What about Fernando?

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well he might be better, though that's debatable, but why do we need to add yet another player who isn't good enough to get into the starting eleven. He's only ever scored eleven goals at this level, so he's hardly a sure fire winner

Thats 6 more than our starting strikers, he has a history of scoring goals as did the likes of Hooper. 

if he scores 10 more and was under contract then he'd be worth about 15m (Hogan). 

We simply can't afford to buy players who have the lengthy CV to prove they would make a big difference, but we do have more cash than most of the division which allows us to take a calculated gamble. If you can get in there just before they get the hype you can make a shed load.

33 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Thats 6 more than our starting strikers, he has a history of scoring goals as did the likes of Hooper. 

if he scores 10 more and was under contract then he'd be worth about 15m (Hogan). 

We simply can't afford to buy players who have the lengthy CV to prove they would make a big difference, but we do have more cash than most of the division which allows us to take a calculated gamble. If you can get in there just before they get the hype you can make a shed load.

I agree with all of that, and if it had been Peterborough or Rotherham chasing him, I'd have thought, that's a shrewd bit of business. Just not sure about him really, and I'm probably not alone, as he doesn't seem to have attracted any top flight interest. 

Just now, gurujuan said:

I agree with all of that, and if it had been Peterborough or Rotherham chasing him, I'd have thought, that's a shrewd bit of business. Just not sure about him really, and I'm probably not alone, as he doesn't seem to have attracted any top flight interest. 

Probably because he is not built like a tank and fast (whilst no slouch) Which is why Bogle looks a prospect, if not a little raw (another assist with a clever flick the other night).

But funnily enough, everyone wants Rhodes who hasn't had top flight interest either and he's even slower!

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

You'd think with his form he'd go straight in as a starter next to Fletcher or Hooper.

True, I guess I meant a second striker for when we're not playing one up front or FF isn't up front or we have injuries.

34 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Probably because he is not built like a tank and fast (whilst no slouch) Which is why Bogle looks a prospect, if not a little raw (another assist with a clever flick the other night).

But funnily enough, everyone wants Rhodes who hasn't had top flight interest either and he's even slower!

You see, but maybe me again, I didn't want Rhodes (though a loan deal would have been OK) Probably Billy Sharp would score goals at this level, but I wouldn't want him either. Put it this way, if it's a choice, I'd rather keep Lucas Joao, than sign Sam Winnall.

Just now, gurujuan said:

You see, but maybe me again, I didn't want Rhodes (though a loan deal would have been OK) Probably Billy Sharp would score goals at this level, but I wouldn't want him either. Put it this way, if it's a choice, I'd rather keep Lucas Joao, than sign Sam Winnall.

Rhodes does guarantee goals if you create for him. I don't mean on a plate though, he just needs it in the right areas and he does the rest himself, his timing is class and he just ghosts in.

But I would rather have Winnall than Joao.  There was talk of Joao being a mega star and top international but I'm not convinced he will get there by playing in England. He doesn't look comfortable or confident on the pitch at the moment. Ideally we'd loan him out for a break but if we needed to sell to get an impact this season I'd do it. 

34 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Rhodes does guarantee goals if you create for him. I don't mean on a plate though, he just needs it in the right areas and he does the rest himself, his timing is class and he just ghosts in.

But I would rather have Winnall than Joao.  There was talk of Joao being a mega star and top international but I'm not convinced he will get there by playing in England. He doesn't look comfortable or confident on the pitch at the moment. Ideally we'd loan him out for a break but if we needed to sell to get an impact this season I'd do it. 

Again, its difficult to disagree with most of that. However, even allowing for Joao currently looking like Bambi on ice, if you said to me, who do you think will go the furthest, Lucas Joao, or Sam Winnall, my money would be on Joao

Wonder if we could pinch Winnall and Hourihane from them? They seem to have an understanding, almost like what Sheridan and Hirst had. Hourihane would be good replacement for Lee, would add some more solidity, creativity and goals, whilst Winnall is in form and looks a genuine bargain. If possible I'd try and get both of them in, would be smart business like @studentowl suggested.