Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

30 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Think Villa are linked with a £4m move for Hourihane so probably looking at more than £5m for the two 

If this is true then its within our price range i think dc would hesitate to sepnd 4.5/5 mil for 2 players again

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

If this is true then its within our price range i think dc would hesitate to sepnd 4.5/5 mil for 2 players again

5mil on players soon to be free?! I'd expect DC to be more thrifty than that. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I guess because he's had a steady career so far, scoring regularly for lower league clubs. Now, playing in the championship, he's scored 11 goals for an average championship side. By all acconts, he has OK footballing ability, but does seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time. At this point in time, that sounds about average to me.

can I reverse the question, and ask you why anyone might consider him above average?

Ok, time to do a StudentOwl and go all statistical :biggrin:

I'd consider him above average because he has 11 goals this season, a tally only 5 players (Gayle, Murray, Abraham, Hogan and Wood) have bettered. As clubs tend to have either 3 or 4 strikers each, if we times the 24 teams in the championship by 3.5 for all the strikers, you get 84. If we say there's roughly 80 strikers involved in championship first teams then Winnall is in the top 10% of strikers in the division in terms of goals scored.

I realise that's slightly faulty logic in that there may be players who would be above average championship strikers playing either in the Premier League or in lower divisions, but the point still stands.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Maybe so, but there's no guarantee Villa will go up if they sign either or both. If they do, it'd probably need to be via the playoffs which are tricky to negotiate. It's impatience and wasteful spending. 

But if a few million £ is peanuts, why hang around?

Would you pay full price for something you really want from a shop, or gamble on it being in the sales and still in stock at a later date?

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

To see the fees being touted for Hourihane and Lansbury, makes me wonder why clubs are willing to stump up that much for players out of contract in 6 months time. I appreciate they want the player, but it's just bad business. 

You may get the player in six months for nothing BUT for arguments sake we pay £ 4 million for Hourihane and he does well then he's worth more than we paid and he may make the difference in the remainder of the season especially with Lee out and Bannon may have an niggle too 

41 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Ok, time to do a StudentOwl and go all statistical :biggrin:

I'd consider him above average because he has 11 goals this season, a tally only 5 players (Gayle, Murray, Abraham, Hogan and Wood) have bettered. As clubs tend to have either 3 or 4 strikers each, if we times the 24 teams in the championship by 3.5 for all the strikers, you get 84. If we say there's roughly 80 strikers involved in championship first teams then Winnall is in the top 10% of strikers in the division in terms of goals scored.

I realise that's slightly faulty logic in that there may be players who would be above average championship strikers playing either in the Premier League or in lower divisions, but the point still stands.

Thats an interesting way of looking at it. On the evidence of twenty odd games it might put him in the top 10%, based on goals scored, but is that an accurate measure of his abilities. I would say, our three strikers, all of whom have scored less than Winnall, would be deemed better strikers than the Barnsley man. If that were reflected right across the league, then he'd probably be nearer the bottom. Of course that wouldn't be the case, but I can certainly think of plenty of strikers in this league, who are better than Sam Winnall, irrespective of whether or not they've scored more goals. I think I'm being generous by putting him in the middle bracket.

Guest domSWFC
4 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Apparently Winnall is done and Hourihane is at Hillsborough today having talks

Heard the same about Winnall. Not been told anything in regards to Hourihane, very interesting. Hope it's true.

Bannan, Abdi, Jones are all good players but can't replace Lee. We miss his energy. Hourihane adds that for sure.

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, darra said:

Last I saw we have bid £1.5 with add ons up to 2. Also supposedly put a bid in for Houriane

Where do we see these things last time I looked at the old boy with the billboard outside the station all it said was "rail strike to continue".

Guest domSWFC

Imagine the meltdown on the Barnsley forums if we did a double announcement of Winnall and Hourihane.

Luckily, if they went on a rampage and trashed the TOWN you wouldn't be able to tell.

Edited by domSWFC

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

But if a few million £ is peanuts, why hang around?

Would you pay full price for something you really want from a shop, or gamble on it being in the sales and still in stock at a later date?

If I knew it were likely to be a sale item, I probably would wait, yes. But that's just me. I understand your argument, but I'd tap the player up with a view to a free transfer and signing-on fee in the summer. Forbidden, but we all know it goes on.

4 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

You may get the player in six months for nothing BUT for arguments sake we pay £ 4 million for Hourihane and he does well then he's worth more than we paid and he may make the difference in the remainder of the season especially with Lee out and Bannon may have an niggle too 

Fair point, but I still see it as an expensive gamble. Expiring contracts should affect valuations significantly - but we're not seeing that at the moment, which is unusual. Hourihane, Lansbury, Marshall...the prices on their heads look too strong, for me.