Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

10 hours ago, OwlsOwlsOwls said:

Proper teams don't score from crosses in to the box, except from set pieces.

Couldnt disagree more, i'd wager more goals are scored by crosses than thru balls.

A cross doesnt have to land on a target mans head, at top teams it is often a sideways low pass either into danger areas or into a forwards path, possibly with whip and bend. With a decent ball in the box theres often a rebound chance too.

Only top players can really deliver all types of cross well and if they can do that they can probably pisss a straight thru ball! 

Crosses can be very hard to defend too, especially when defenders are running backwards!

Our lack of good crosses, not getting behind teams and too few easy chances are the main reason we're not scoring enough imo

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

It's right that creativity is our biggest problem which needs to be addressed but you can't pick what order you sign players in and for all we know the club are trying to sign creative players too. Signing one of the in form strikers now ahead of our rivals can only be a good thing 

For example we've been linked with Farfan who was at the top of the assist charts whilst playing in Germany so if that's true then it would seem creativity is something we want to improve on. Plus we've signed McManaman and maybe Abdi is actually really injured 

I'm going to wait until end of January, then be concerned if creativity hasn't been addressed 

I partly agree with what you're saying but I'm not convinced we actually need more creative players (though it wouldn't hurt). I think it's more the style/tactics/formation Carlos likes to play that means we create very few chances. The same type of match pretty much week in, week out would suggest this. We know we've got strikers who can score goals and Bannan, Reach, Abdi, Wallace could all be described as creative players. Add to that Macmanaman who's ability to beat a man and actually put in good crosses consistently will hopefully be a huge boost when it comes to supplying our forwards. 

This is not an attack on Carlos either, on the flip side we are a very solid team on the whole who are hard to beat but I also feel we are quite easy to defend against. 

Edited by Owlin' Wolf

10 minutes ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

I partly agree with what you're saying but I'm not convinced we actually need more creative players (though it wouldn't hurt). I think it's more the style/tactics/formation Carlos likes to play that means we create very few chances. The same type of match pretty much week in, week out would suggest this. We know we've got strikers who can score goals and Bannan, Reach, Abdi, Wallace could all be described as creative players. Add to that Macmanaman who's ability to beat a man and actually put in good crosses consistently will hopefully be a huge boost when it comes to supplying our forwards. 

This is not an attack on Carlos either, on the flip side we are a very solid team on the whole who are hard to beat but I also feel we are quite easy to defend against. 

My hope is Carlos has made us be more pragmatic this season and harder to beat whilst we didn't have the required creative players available (Abdi, McManaman etc).

But, you're right that no matter who is signed this month he may keep the same style which would be disappointing 

Fessi hinted that Carlos has "found a nice team" to play against Huddersfield so I'm hoping there may be a slight change in our attacking play! 

Just now, full fathom five said:

From a very good source this about an hour and a half ago we are the only club to have made a bid for Winnall, it's looking probable but nothing definite yet.

Either way Winnall wants to leave Barnsley. 

Strange i thought it was reported last week leeds had made a bid 

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

My hope is Carlos has made us be more pragmatic this season and harder to beat whilst we didn't have the required creative players available (Abdi, McManaman etc).

But, you're right that no matter who is signed this month he may keep the same style which would be disappointing 

Fessi hinted that Carlos has "found a nice team" to play against Huddersfield so I'm hoping there may be a slight change in our attacking play! 

Lets hope! Really hoping Mcmanaman will make a big impact on our attacking play. As we know crosses into the box haven't been a strong point for us and hopefully he can change that. 

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

From a very good source this about an hour and a half ago we are the only club to have made a bid for Winnall, it's looking probable but nothing definite yet.

Either way Winnall wants to leave Barnsley. 

Yes, but there are still three weeks left in the window. No doubt other clubs will come in, Brentford for example when they've sold Hogan.

9 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

Been reading the Barnsley forum... according to their fans he isn't that quick, is poor at holding the ball up, has poor control but is very good in the air & at finishing. In other words a poacher, someone we'd throw on at the end if we're bombarding the opposites box to grab a draw or win. Think Nuhiu but with goals.

I'd say that's the opposite of Nuhiu, who is very good at holding the ball up and has weirdly good control at times but isn't great in the air and is a poor finisher.