Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

Interesting, not quick and poor control is not the impression you get watching his highlights but I'll bow to their greater knowledge of the player

Certainly I'd prefer having Winnall on the bench to bring on than Nuhiu and Joao 

Yeah I just watched that & he looks to have a decent touch. His pace may not be blistering but he seems to have good acceleration & anticipation.

If we are still going to try and get anything out of Joao it would be a good move to get Winnall in and send Joao out on loan even if its part of the deal. Joao needs game time in the championship if he is ever going to make it in England.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I can see that, and in a way, although he's hapless in front of goal, Joao looks like the best partner for Forestieri. So someone who will run at defenders, and can finish, yes would seem to be something that could work. For me though, I think it's mainly tactics, and possibly mindset, that have stifled our goals output. It seems a strange thing to say, but I think Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, would all score more goals in Barnsley's team. I'm not saying they are the better side, but they play with a freedom that allows their creative players to be effective. I just don't see that Winnall would get that here.

Yes, spot on. The Reds are playing more like we did last season, with an innocence which we've now lost. Carlito's worried about what happens when we've not got the ball these days, hence the more conservative style. Nothing wrong with that, but you need lethal finishers to put away the chances you do create, and they cost big. Those old Arsenal sides knew how to defend, and you can't call them adventurous, but it worked because they'd got Wright up front. With Joao they'd have struggled.

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our goalscoring problems. Not just him, I've never really thought we'd suddenly become more prolific, not even with Jordan Rhodes. If Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, can't score goals in this team, it probably tells you it's more to do with the way we play. 

Couldn't agree more. Passing ball sideways and backwards and playing at a slow tempo, Doesnt matter who is up top. 

This lads brimming with confidence as his goals show. Not all clinical but he knows where the net is and is having a real go at every oppurtunity something we have failed to do this season.

Hopefully that confidence can spread through the team if he was to sign

6 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Out of interest, when exactly would you define as Varney's prime? He's only hit double figures once in his entire career and that was in league one.

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

When he was younger and had a bit of pace. He never really scored enough goals did he

If you are suggesting Vardy wasn't in his prime last season you two are insane

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I can see that, and in a way, although he's hapless in front of goal, Joao looks like the best partner for Forestieri. So someone who will run at defenders, and can finish, yes would seem to be something that could work. For me though, I think it's mainly tactics, and possibly mindset, that have stifled our goals output. It seems a strange thing to say, but I think Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, would all score more goals in Barnsley's team. I'm not saying they are the better side, but they play with a freedom that allows their creative players to be effective. I just don't see that Winnall would get that here.

They have been allowed to play with freedom as we were last season. 

6 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

Been reading the Barnsley forum... according to their fans he isn't that quick, is poor at holding the ball up, has poor control but is very good in the air & at finishing. In other words a poacher, someone we'd throw on at the end if we're bombarding the opposites box to grab a draw or win. Think Nuhiu but with goals.

They will know better than us, but from looking at his best bits his touch looks ok, he has a tendency to be able to score in the 6 yard box and also arrive late to mix things up. His goals in the playoffs were quite direct and tricky so they may be doing him a bit of a disservice now he may be leaving 

Winnall signing = finally a begging to the end of working with dingle brigade; 'We are the smallest club in the world...(so don't matter if we get tonked) But we are only 4 points behind...etc' Oh and FF is average, Consistently use the tag as the 'smallest club ever from a pit town' to put them in a no lose situation - I hate it,

That being said Winnall will do nothin here also, Zlatan wouldn't score with the service we'd provide here,

Can't remember a good ball in the box - Macca is the key, Hopefully this Fox and Reach combine- We'll see but centrally the problems remain, Can see Winnall looking back at Bannan wondering where Hourianne is,

But like I say I'd take him to shut some of them up - Also make a mockery over the fact that WInnall is a Leeds fan who never got his move there due to tinpot chairman offerings just to shut his fans up,

2 hours ago, edited said:

Couldn't agree more. Passing ball sideways and backwards and playing at a slow tempo, Doesnt matter who is up top. 

It's right that creativity is our biggest problem which needs to be addressed but you can't pick what order you sign players in and for all we know the club are trying to sign creative players too. Signing one of the in form strikers now ahead of our rivals can only be a good thing 

For example we've been linked with Farfan who was at the top of the assist charts whilst playing in Germany so if that's true then it would seem creativity is something we want to improve on. Plus we've signed McManaman and maybe Abdi is actually really injured 

I'm going to wait until end of January, then be concerned if creativity hasn't been addressed 

Edited by Southie_Owl