The stats! The stats! They drive me mad!!!!

I'm no statto by nature but every now and then I get the urge to do some digging.

The general feeling seems to be that we aren't creating enough chances. Not as many as last year and not enough to win the games we need to cement our position in the top six. I thought I'd look at the stats and see what they reveal. I got the data from www.whoscored.com.

Here is a comparison between Championship games so far this season and Championship games last season (not including the play-offs).

Total Shots per game 13.8 vs 12.5

Shots on target per game 4.3 vs 4.3 (31% vs 33%)

Goals per game 1.1 vs 1.4

Shots per goal 12.8 vs 9.1

I was quite surprised to see we had had more shots per game this season than last. The truly telling stat is the shots per goal - much worse this season than last. This season we've scored 5 penalties compared to 3 last which suggests that our shots per goal figure this season is even worse (since you would expect a higher proportion of penalties to result in goals than other types of shot).

So there you have it. More shots. The same on target but can't hit a cows arse with a banjo compared to last year.

Same % shots on target suggests we can hit the cows arse. Might be my addled memory but I seem to recall we created far clearer chances last season. We have missed the odd clear chance this year, but very few.

Our goals per game is dire. But it was around 1.1 per game for most of last season too. We stopped scoring goals mid Feb.

More shots but lower accuracy so lower % on target. But the same number on target and they are not going in (or making contact with the arse as it were!).

You might be right about the clear cut chances - the stats don't say anything about that.I thought maybe we created a lot more chances on the break last season but the stats don't show that.

Been saying this for a while and it appears the stats back it up. We've created more this season, just not been putting anything away.

We were far more clinical last season and the sheer number of wonder goals has skewed people's memories. 

We werent this free flowing, high pressing, fast tempo side that some seem to think we were. Certainly not on a regular basis. We just made the most of our opportunities.