Joe Wildsmith Appreciation Thread.

5 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

So the "timely reminder" is that he's actually good and we should look after him when he's thrown in, I'm not a lover of FF but even he went to console him..

This lad probably is good enough, Westwood also makes howlers occasionally and I can think of a few good goalies that also did..

Back him, don't just seem to hit on him cos Scram made a comment !

I've not seen Scram or anyone write him off. Simply; he's still a raw talent 

Personally I'd loan him out...let him get some experience under his belt elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

So the "timely reminder" is that he's actually good and we should look after him when he's thrown in, I'm not a lover of FF but even he went to console him..

This lad probably is good enough, Westwood also makes howlers occasionally and I can think of a few good goalies that also did..

Back him, don't just seem to hit on him cos Scram made a comment !

As I put in my first post, the "timely reminder" is that wildsmith isn't quite ready to play for us week in week out, in the unlikely event of Westwood leaving. Given his potential, I daresay he soon will be.

All the great goalkeepers make mistakes, this is a learning curve for JW, it's how he bounces back and reacts is the most important thing. 

It it was only 3 years ago people were slating De Gea week in week out.

Everyone who critics him must understand he is a young goalkeeper with bags of potential and there are going to be a few blunders along the way

3 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

All the great goalkeepers make mistakes, this is a learning curve for JW, it's how he bounces back and reacts is the most important thing. 

Everyone who critics him must understand he is a young goalkeeper with bags of potential and there are going to be a few blunders along the way

Really good post.

2 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I've not seen Scram or anyone write him off. Simply; he's still a raw talent 

Personally I'd loan him out...let him get some experience under his belt elsewhere. 

He said "he should never be a week in week out keeper yet" and this despite the fact Wildsmith had to do this last season and very succesfully too for a young lad...

Just a poor comment IMHO...

What would Scram suggest we do should Westwood get injured ?

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

As I put in my first post, the "timely reminder" is that wildsmith isn't quite ready to play for us week in week out, in the unlikely event of Westwood leaving. Given his potential, I daresay he soon will be.

What about Westwood getting injured (like last season)...

Short memories some folks, what happened to Westwoods back up, think his name was Price ????

7 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Exactly, think Grobbelar, Calamity even Hart...

Maybe not Hart

lol

3 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

What about Westwood getting injured (like last season)...

Short memories some folks, what happened to Westwoods back up, think his name was Price ????

If Westwood gets injured then he'll come in and make a decent job of it I suspect. The only point I'm trying to make is essentially that today is a reminder that he isn't the finished article. Despite that, in terms of championship no. 2 keepers he's a good one - I'd certainly rather have him come in for Westwood than Jake Kean or Lewis Price. 

And you're right, Westwood's record is hardly spotless either - I remember him letting one slip through his hands at home to Watford a few seasons back. And that goal at Brentford was head in hands stuff. Mistakes happen, it's especially important for young keepers to learn from them.

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

If Westwood gets injured then he'll come in and make a decent job of it I suspect. The only point I'm trying to make is essentially that today is a reminder that he isn't the finished article. Despite that, in terms of championship no. 2 keepers he's a good one - I'd certainly rather have him come in for Westwood than Jake Kean or Lewis Price. 

And you're right, Westwood's record is hardly spotless either - I remember him letting one slip through his hands at home to Watford a few seasons back. And that goal at Brentford was head in hands stuff. Mistakes happen, it's especially important for young keepers to learn from them.

Not sure why you SUSPECT he'll make a decent job of it, didn't you follow us last season when he stepped in and was magnificent, when he held his position in front of the then no.2 (Price)?

He hasn't had much game time recently so to come in like he has was excellent and he should have our full support, not jibes that he isn't the finished article, we all know that, I'm sure he does too but how does he get that experience sat on a bench and criticised when he does finally get a game..

2 hours ago, scram said:

All part of his learning and development

And shows why he would never be considered or week in week out keeper yet.

Despite what some think

Spot on scram, if Wildsmith is to be the deputy, and I believe he should, 1. then why rotate him with Westwood for a cup match. 2.Some obvious work needed by Andy Rhodes and Westwood in setting up a wall. 3. Concentration, it's still needed with something as simple as a goal kick. 4. All of our defenders need to be aware that you roll passes to the keeper not fire a bouncing ball at them.  

7 hours ago, aeroswfc said:

It was Pudil's back pass that cost us a goal. 

Joe Wildsmith did ok today. 

if that was ok i'd hate to see him have a bad un ........he was poor throughout .he got closed down in the 1st half ,he twice came out to half punch balls that he didn't need to and was lucky to get away with both of them .the 1st goal was down to him the second was a total disaster with both him twice and pudil once taking the blame ....all keepers have bad days and yesterday was his .

Wildsmith is with the big boys now and criticism comes with the territory. His goal kick to Pudil was poor as it was floaty with no pace and behind him with Pudil no option but to pass it back to him. Wildsmith isnt on YTS wages he will be enjoying the trappings of a first team contract. He needs to go out on loan and play regularly instead of just turning up match day to play his silly footgolf game with Rhodes and co pre match. I also blame Carlos for not playing Westwood.

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

BT Sports have very considerately posted the mistake up on Facebook for people to laugh at him. 

Classy. 

Chin up, Joe. 

Class keeper in the making. 

BBC also made a joke about it with a link to the video on their website. Comes with the territory I suppose.

Am I right in thinking Wildsmith has just returned from injury? If so (and with 20/20 hindsight) maybe Dawson would have been the better option.

Sure he will learn from it but as others have said, let's not dress up the fact that he had a nightmare.

Why fluff it up, the lad had a howler. It's upto him to out it behind him now. My greatest concern with him is he seems to always be injured. At his age it's a worrying sign .

he should have got out on loan , which is what I thought kean was bought in for (whos getting good reviews at Mansfield)