Middlesbrough vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

7 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

It's not the fault of Carlos when our strikers can't hit the bloody floor with their caps .

While I don't subscribe to the Carlos out brigade, it was Carlos that signed all our strikers except Nuhiu, it's Carlos & his team that coaches the strikers & it's Carlos that determines the tactics & instills the motivation.

3 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

History means sod all.

Our past three performances, particularly the urgency to score, to attempt to score, and in even doing that, hitting the target.
Has been shocking.

Now, that's rather worrying, and  maybe three performance's aside, we have been very ordinary at best this  year.

Our league position is something of  a falsehood, if you look at our performances.
Obviously, we are all happy to take that, but people expressing a concern, isn't suicide squad.
More a reality check

I agree with this. Ipswich, Leeds, Rotherham and Wolves at home were all awful performances. We have only scored 28 goals in 25 matches which is shocking. A result like today has been coming. Carvalhal is bulletproof to some on here but not me. 

8 minutes ago, the_mutha said:

I'm not going to panic.

Our young keeper has made a really sh*t mistake, they've scored a 25 yard free kick and then they got a fortunate ricochet which landed at the feet of their £12 million pound signing.

The performances over the last couple of weeks have been worrying I agree, but whilst we can perform like we did against Newcastle (somewhat out of the blue), CC can turn this around and we can now concentrate on the Championship.

Conceding a goal to a team with 10 men stings but it wasn't surprising considering how we were playing.

The odd decent performance against Newcastle is not enough for a team who are supposedly challanging for promotion, i have seen nothing this season that suggests Carvahal can change this round. Put it this way there has been far more poor performances than good. 

Guest Copthorneowl
3 minutes ago, keefdave said:

Good job Milan isn't here anymore or Carlos would be down West Street.

Isn't that where they found David Pleat?

The performance trend since boxing day has been absolutely appalling. No urgency, no creativity and generally very poor. Even before that, performances have been unconvincing. I think we will now struggle to stay in the top half by the end of the season.  It's really important that the players who aren't being used are cleared out by the summer, so some better players can be brought in.  Far too much dead wood making financial viability impossible under FFP.

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

History means sod all.

Our past three performances, particularly the urgency to score, to attempt to score, and in even doing that, hitting the target.
Has been shocking.

Now, that's rather worrying, and  maybe three performance's aside, we have been very ordinary at best this  year.

Our league position is something of  a falsehood, if you look at our performances.
Obviously, we are all happy to take that, but people expressing a concern, isn't suicide squad.
More a reality check

23 games in our league position is what it is. Our plan A today was OK but it didn't have written in the two mistakes in the second half that anyone could make. Plan B was to push, but when you push too hard as we did you increase the likelihood of a further mistake and we made one, The unfortunate Wildsmith pushing out rather than deflecting wide.

We had a side and a plan capable of getting a result, it didn't happen. We move on ...Hooper back, together with one or two new faces. I remain optimistic for the future which doesn't mean Premiership or bust.

If I have one criticism today and it's minor and that is Wildsmiths need of a game should not take priority of a Keeper needing a rest. If fit Westwood should have played. 

Still onwards and upwards WAWAW   

15 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

agree,tame predictable garbage,should refund the money to the 3000 fans who travelled,1st team apart from Hutch as well oh and keeper

Personally I'm not bothered of the loss because it's the cup but the performances are so lacklustre.....no tempo to the play and no real Plan B 

I'm slightly concerned for Carlos and intrigued to hear his comments after the game

Guest Copthorneowl
11 minutes ago, mogbad said:

While I don't subscribe to the Carlos out brigade, it was Carlos that signed all our strikers except Nuhiu, it's Carlos & his team that coaches the strikers & it's Carlos that determines the tactics & instills the motivation.

Fair point but let's be straight our strikers don't need anybody to coach them tucking sitters away that you and I could score.

The problem for me is that we don't attack with intensity it's one or two guys up front with support straining to get there in time to help. We're missing Hooper which I said from the off but most of the complainers wanted him dropping when he got injured now it's another tune to sing to. 

Football management is like any other profession. Either your face fits, or it doesn't, and Carlito's clearly does. Take Gray, and what he achieved with meagre resources. That didn't save him from savage criticism. Consider Jones, who played a blinder getting us up, and then had to soldier on with next to nothing to spend. Likewise, he was denigrated at every end and turn. Last season we were an unknown quantity. A new manager with a largely new team. But we've been sussed now, and Carlito does seem to be able to do anything about it. And to those who say that it's the best we've been for a long time. Well, that's because financially we're streets ahead of where we were before. Under Gray our total wage bill was around £11 million a year.  Forestieri's wage is around £2 million alone, likewise Reach, Fletcher, Abdi, Hooper. Even Lees is on £1.25 million p/a. Comparing Wednesday now with Wednesday over the last decade and a half is ridiculous.

Just now, steveger said:

It's not about losing 3.0 to a poor 10 man boro team, i'm more worried about our failure to create and score goals, it's not a promble that's just arisen, it needs dealing with or it will cost us, sooner and later our luck was going to run out and we would pay for our lack of creativity, thankfully that was today in the FA Cup and not another league game, we need personnel who cant create goal scoring opportunities and personnel who can put those said opportunities away.

You've put can't.