Carlos's attitude

Just now, Owls2k said:

Easier said than done I'm afraid. And I think most Wednesday fans agreed in the summer that we needed a CB and to improve the full back positions more than anything, none have been done unfortunately. 

Agreed but to be fair he tried to sign them in the summer

hanley and Duffy went elsewhere, bennett move was blocked by villa 

Carlos is fully aware of the issues, finding the players for the right value is easier said than done as you mentioned

9 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Perhaps he could have bought some replacements in the summer transfer window? If only Chansiri has let him have a transfer budget. We could have had a classy central midfielder, a fast winger, and someone to score goals. 

Abdi, now Mcmanaman in Jan, Fletcher.

Most weren't complaining about them when they happened. 

2 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

My first post on here but followed the owls all my life even know I live 400miles away - I get to about 5/6 games a year and over the years as we all have felt a huge amount of frustration with owners and managers but I think we need to be sensible. 

I was not at the game, but was at Newcastle and I would really worry if we as fans (even so called PTers like me) turn on CC after two draws and in sixth in the LGE. 

Things coild be better and things could be so much worse. We Could be scrapping for survival, by the same measure we could be in 2nd by now if we picked the points we have had almost on a plate. 

I think its far to soon to start turning on CC and see what happens over January as a whole, some may change their opinions after a few good results. 

Let's be positive, point earned not two lost. The only urgency and pressure is because of what happened last season - let's see where we go no?

Is Banbury 400 miles from Sheffield?

8 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Agreed but to be fair he tried to sign them in the summer

hanley and Duffy went elsewhere, bennett move was blocked by villa 

Carlos is fully aware of the issues, finding the players for the right value is easier said than done as you mentioned

Completely agree, that was the point I was trying to make above. A difficult quandary for CC and the Chairman. 

I'd imagine that most of the managers who haven't got the result they were looking for today have mentioned the festive fixture list.

It's a seasonal post match tradition for point dropping team gaffers. 

And why not. 

Post match chats mean sod all anyway. 

3 hours ago, Babushka1867 said:

I too get the feeling that Carlos is running out of ideas. I think his football ethos works well when it's an open game but when teams sit back we are shocking....truly shocking.

There are plenty of teams who played 2 days ago that won today so I don't buy that excuse (even though he says it's not an excuse). On top of that what's this 'fresh air' he says the players need? The football this season has been quite a few rungs below last term and yet we still find ourselves in 6th place. We are a long way off looking like a team worthy of the PL. 

It's  been a peculiar season to date when you look at it.

Defensively we aren't letting in a huge amount of goals but the full-back positions scare the life out of me. Hunt cannot defend and Pudil and Palmer are nothing more than back-up in my opinion. Westwood, Lees, Hutchinson and Loovens are probably the reason our defensive record has been decent. 

I'd like it if we got a settled midfield and stick with it. The lynchpins of that for me have to be Hutchinson and Lee. I can't help but think we are 'accommodating' Bannan after last season and he hasn't been great this time around. We are crying out for width and pace and to get around the outside of the fullback and to the byline. Hopefully McManaman and Reach can give us that.

Up front we really have to play two of either Fletcher, Forestieri or Hooper. Joao is an absolute shadow of the start of his Wednesday career an Nuhiu has dropped down the order. Ideally though we should be playing two of the three in order to give the actual opposition their toughest game. Today we kept ploughing the ball up high when their back lie and Edwards sitting in midfield were all over 6ft. Can't think of a time we ever peeled off and ran down the sides of them. 

Right now, if Hutchinson gets injured for any length of time we can forget about the play-off - it's that simple and he's that important to us. This is unless other players step up to the plate which they don't seem to be doing right now. Those players in question are the likes of Forestieri, Bannan, Reach or Hooper.

Fantastic post

i would also add that last season we got at teams and sat back more against the top teams which probably reflects our results against those top teams to those lower down. This season we seem to have reversed those tactics and go at the top teams whilst sitting back against those lower teams which is having the reverse affect 

our last five games we have struggled against Barnsley, Preston, Rotherham and wolves but then played well and more of a threat against Newcastle ( away ) 

coincedent? 

Guest We Shall Overcome

He's worn the likes of Lee and Bannan out by over playing them, even though he has spent Millions on Abdi and Jones,time he packed his bags with the rest of the Portuguese,as we won't get promoted under him. 

Westwood 8

Hunt          7 can't believe he got a three 3

Sasso       6 defensive work spoiled by poor distribution

Lees         5 poor today a lot of heading straight up in the air. A magnet for the ball at the back, too many balls down FF throat, Fletch must love him.

Reach      5 another bright start but faded badly

McMannaman   6 needs to come up to speed but didn't do much wrong

Bannan             7 tried with all his heart to get us going

Lee                   5 not at all well today

Hutchinson       8 MOM Mr grit and determination

Fletcher           5 very little service but didn't help himself

Forestieri         6 looked tight first twenty eventually grew into game late on 

Jones              5 fresh legs ?

Wallace           6 playing in middle

Joao                7 Made more of an impact than Fletcher suits him making runs from deeper rather than being caught under the ball.

5 hours ago, fpowl said:

Fantastic post

i would also add that last season we got at teams and sat back more against the top teams which probably reflects our results against those top teams to those lower down. This season we seem to have reversed those tactics and go at the top teams whilst sitting back against those lower teams which is having the reverse affect 

our last five games we have struggled against Barnsley, Preston, Rotherham and wolves but then played well and more of a threat against Newcastle ( away ) 

coincedent? 

I agree with you here and the psyche has changed this season to last with us trying to play more of a slow possession game. We are far better playing with pace and tempo. The Rotherham game was a great example, as soon as we got the ball at the back they just got 11 men behind the ball and were happy for us to stroke it around at the back. Only when we got over the halfway line did they apply and pressure but our build up play was slow and condensed.

I thought this right from the very first game against Villa, a team whose confidence would have been low after an awful PL season and we could have given them a torrid introduction to the Championship but laboured to a 1-0 win thanks to a bit of fortune. We just never pressurised their shaky defence enough (which has since been strengthened).

The Wolves backline probably had their easiest game in a long time yesterday. Batth and Stearman must have loved all those balls being played in the air or those 50/50 balls which defenders love. Me personally, I would have put Forestieri and McManaman right up top centrally, with Fletcher dropping onto their CM. This would hopefully have given their fullbacks licence to vacate their positions which would have then given McManaman and/or Forestieri time to drag Batth or Stearman into the channels and away from their comfort zone leaving gaps at the back. 

I did notice this, when CC was stating "we're in the red, deep into the red and this is where injuries happen, absolutely sure"

It's his excuse, rather than being bullish and saying everyone is in the same boat "BUT WE ARE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY"

I also felt that Forestieri & Sasso would have benefitted with Pudil at LB. Leaving Reach on the bench to push FF.

14 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

I have a horrible sinking feeling Carlos and the squad have reached the end of the road in terms of progression.

Praying I'm wrong.

Well after the performance on boxing day, I certainly don't feel we can't progress, and must remember since DC arrived how quickly things have changed. DC won't allow us to stand still, exciting times ahead

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have to admit it does wind me up when I hear CC blaming tiredness for a poor performance.

Same for both sides and not good PR when players are paid a fortune.

big fan of carlos coz I do think he's a good coach but he's wrong on this .... keep bleating on about playing 2 games in a short space of time and the players are going to start believing it and  that puts them on a downer before they start.......after the Newcastle result and the lift of the preston escape they should have come out buzzing yesterday but as we saw that was far from reality . 

11 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Abdi, now Mcmanaman in Jan, Fletcher.

Most weren't complaining about them when they happened. 

I wasn't complaining. Merely highlighting the folly of signing players like Abdi, Buckley and co and their lack of game time. Also giving long term contracts to players who either don't make the bench (Semedo) or play very little, Nuhiu. Carlos doesn't seem to have helped himself or improved the team much on last year. Performance wise we've  gone backwards.