Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

36 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Am i missing something here.

Have we entered some sort of 2017 parallel universe where we would buy or loan THE most proven striker over the last 5 years at this level, leave him on the bench and then replace FF to give him a game???? 

Well, I for one, wouldn't swap Forestieri for Rhodes He'd be behind Hooper as well, in my opinion

55 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

You're being selective in not including FFs contribution last year which was major in how we finished in the division.

As for contract knowledge my info comes the same as everybody else's from what we hear and read just the same yours. Please let us know how your opinions are fact and others are speculation.

I never said my opinion was fact, I was simply sceptical that Fletcher is on double what Forestieri is

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, I don't need to provide evidence for my scepticism of your claims because I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything, I'm merely doubting it. The truth is, no-one definitively knows... I don't think it's unreasonable to be sceptical that we signed Fletcher on twice FF's wages if the only evidence to support it is hearsay off Owlstalk... 

We are obviously short of goals this season.

Jordan Rhodes is a PROVEN goal scorer at this level and i believe if we can obtain his services in this transfer window it will make a significant difference to our league position come the end of the season.

I don't concern myself with FFP and wages, I'd rather let the club do that and concern myself with us having the best team possible to get promotion 

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well, I for one, wouldn't swap Forestieri for Rhodes He'd be behind Hooper as well, in my opinion

That was exactly my point mate.

Also my argument all along has been that Rhodes doesn't have to be a direct replacement for anyone, Hooper, Fletcher or whoever.

At the moment Hooper is out injured, so without getting into the 'formation' debate, in the assumption you'd always find a starting place for FF, Fletcher maybe would partner Rhodes, no doubt in the future Fletcher will get injured / suspended as presumably would Rhodes, so you would swap it around accordingly as to who is in form / fully fit whatever.

At the moment we have very few options at all, especially compared with some of our immediate rivals.

I personally think the Rhodes V Hooper argument. The Rhodes V Fletcher argument, or for that matter the Rhodes V FF argument, (if it exists?) are not only counter productive, they are also completely irrelevant in the context of modern football with the use of squad rotation whether by choice or otherwise.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Would Rhodes even get a place in our side? He'd be a useful, if expensive, option from the bench, but there's no way he would displace Foresteri

Are you being serious ? 

6 minutes ago, steveger said:

Makes me laugh the people saying we don't need him :biggrin:

i think tbf most are saying he's too expensive  and imo he is, whatever deal we broker with boro it's going to put strain on our budget, wage structure and possibly team morale   and reduce if not wipe out our ability to get a CH to cover lees or loovens 

Just now, debram said:

Far too expensive, he's not a tried and tested premiership player, can't get into a struggling boro side, too much of a risk for me when we have hoops and ff

I agree.

Not sure this transfer policy of expensive prem flops is working out for us.

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

i think tbf most are saying he's too expensive  and imo he is, whatever deal we broker with boro it's going to put strain on our budget, wage structure and possibly team morale   and reduce if not wipe out our ability to get a CH to cover lees or loovens 

Has this been agreed then, in principle, that Rhodes is coming to us on loan?

34 minutes ago, steveger said:

Yeah the guys expensive i agree and maybe a huge gamble, my comment was badly worded, it should have been aimed more broadly at the people saying we dont need any more strikers full stop, my bad...

Obviously with us being  rich in goal scoring talent and topping the scoring charts and all that...:biggrin:

We probably do need to add another striker to the group, but with renowned forwards like Forestieri, Fletcher and Hooper, already here, perhaps we're doing something else wrong. It beggars belief that all three could be out of form and misfiring, to me there has to be some other reason

Guest Copthorneowl
6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Absolutely, it's Forestieri for me, first name on the team sheet

All day long.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Rhodes for £11m or buy 3 good quality players to improve 3 other starting positions at about £4m each..

The problem with putting all your money on Rhodes is that he could get injured in the first game.

It's not just an injury that makes it a huge gamble. It also depends which Rhodes you get for those 20 matches.

Like every goalscorer he runs hot and cold. Last season he scored 7 in his first 8 matches, then one goal from open play in the next 16.

His injury record is superb though. He must keep himself fit and have good luck.

37 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

'Tis mental to say we don't want him.

Nuhihuhiu - Love him, but he's rubbish. Don't care how hard he works, no goals.

Joaoa - He's not going to turn into a mega-star, some interesting flicks, but no goals.

FFF - Not an out and out striker, he's too good at charging around creating and winning balls back.

Fletecher - Has obvious quality, but hasn't really scored enough to be the man to get us promoted on his own.

Hopper - Good in streaks, not reliable enough to consistently do the business so far.

So the first two need to go, that leaves us with two proper strikers. Not enough.

But Forestieri is a proper striker, and still remains the one most likely to help us gate crash the play offs. 

Edited by gurujuan

If the rest of team were contributing to the goal tally I don't think the JR question would be constantly brought up.

We should have seen Reach, Wallace and the other midfield players/CHs etc, chipping in more regularly. I hope yesterday's goal gives Reach some confidence near the goal and we should be looking at 6-8 goals from him by the end of the season.

I'd then be happy with 12-15 goals each from the regular front three of FF/Hooper and Fletcher, injuries and suspensions excluded.