Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

Anyone who thinks Jordan Rhodes wouldn't improve our first team really isn't worth talking to on any football related subject. His movement makes things easier for those supplying the ammunition he takes a high proportion of chances that are offered to him. What else would you want ?.

1 minute ago, sage owl said:

Anyone who thinks Jordan Rhodes wouldn't improve our first team really isn't worth talking to on any football related subject. His movement makes things easier for those supplying the ammunition he takes a high proportion of chances that are offered to him. What else would you want ?.

Abserfuckinlutely

37 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Not arguing about FFs value to the team. he is irreplaceable and having read your reply can sort of see your logic, but selling FF would not make sense in any shape or form, no matter who it was to finance. I cannot see in any situation FF being used to fund other purchases it would just make no sense. (SO we are basically in agreement on that).

As for Strikers of Rhodes quality being loaned. Glenn Murray aint doing bad for Brighton.

Apologies if my original reply was a bit sharp. I had just got back from Preston and still a bit giddy from the goal. 

No one is irreplaceable, including Forestieri. The trick is doing it in a way that improves the team. The fact that we have so little creativity is worrying and the fact that FF is tempremental and can be "got at" is doubly so. I would sooner have two creative midfielders in the side than just the one. If FF leaving enabled that to happen it might just be enough to sort the problem out. We should rule nothing out.

As far as Rhodes is concerned right now we are short up front (especially given the question marks over Hooper's fitness) and given the right service he is absolutely lethal. A front two of Fletcher (who does a lot of donkey work) and Rhodes might just be the ticket.

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

So you think we'd have won today had Rhodes started instead of Dave.

Think carefully about your answer. I don't remember a single chance or shot at goal before the equaliser.

Read the bit about a forwards movement helping those who supply the ammunition. Took me years to learn about movement when I played ( at a decent level ) up front.

I like Nuihu 's commitment but he has the mobility of a full size snooker table.

14 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Think carefully about your answer. I don't remember a single chance or shot at goal before the equaliser.

Think you're slightly twisting what i said. 

I said the team would be improved. Whether that would have made any difference today is open to question.

I'll turn your question on it's head.

Do you think he would have made a difference against Rotherham bearing in mind the early chances we missed that he wouldn't have?

53 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

No one is irreplaceable, including Forestieri. The trick is doing it in a way that improves the team. The fact that we have so little creativity is worrying and the fact that FF is tempremental and can be "got at" is doubly so. I would sooner have two creative midfielders in the side than just the one. If FF leaving enabled that to happen it might just be enough to sort the problem out. We should rule nothing out.

As far as Rhodes is concerned right now we are short up front (especially given the question marks over Hooper's fitness) and given the right service he is absolutely lethal. A front two of Fletcher (who does a lot of donkey work) and Rhodes might just be the ticket.

Replacing Forestieri with Rhodes, would hardly add to our creativity. Him and Fletcher would be the sort of partnership that would have been deemed good, 5 years ago. Now, it's a bit basic, there's a lot more quality in this league, and Forestieri gives us a place at the table

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

If you referring to the chance Joao had he would have certainly troubled the keeper yes, no question.

I will ask you a question back. Would you prefer Jordan Rhodes or Tom Huddlestone if we were to spend 12m on someone?

Me personally, Jordan Rhodes.

Always wanted him for Wednesday ever since he single handedly demolished us playing for Huddersfield.

I saw something there i hadn't seen since Hirsty and it has always stuck with me ever since.

So maybe my opinion is based on something other than logic!!

18 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

10 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Read the bit about a forwards movement helping those who supply the ammunition. Took me years to learn about movement when I played ( at a decent level ) up front.

I like Nuihu 's commitment but he has the mobility of a full size snooker table.

Sage Owl you are spot on. I've said this numerous times. If you are a midfielder, it is so much easier to hit 5sq yards around a moving target than 1sq yard in front of a static target. Dave, God bless him, does a great mannequin impression.

As a midfielder receives the ball, the first thing his eye is drawn to is movement. As most opposing midfielders have their back to this movement, the midfielder receiving the ball is at an advantage immediately.

Sorry but this is a basic concept to grasp. Had Rhodes been playing today, I believe 100% we would have created more and it MAY have been a very different outcome.

6 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Then you, better than anyone will know how deflating it is running the channels, going wide or dropping a little deep when the midfield turns. Only to start again from square one. 

I think Carlos is on top of the problem in sorting the 2 from 3 or 4 who will be in the middle of the 4 with hopefully some probing round the back by our wide men.

10 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I said the team would be improved. Whether that would have made any difference today is open to question.

Do you think he would have made a difference against Rotherham bearing in mind the early chances we missed that he wouldn't have?

Its not just Rotherham where we failed to score

Brentford 

Ipswich

Derby

Reading

All were winnable but we could not score Reading stands out to me 5-6 clear chances with no clinical finish then we get punished 

15 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

We'd have beaten newcastle 3-0 with Rhodes up front.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

My point is this. We need someone in the centre of the park that will cover hutch if we lose him.

Now Huddlestone won't be coming here, we'd be shopping for somebody far cheaper, but people think Rhodes is some kind of magic wand, he isn't. 

The holes in our squad are in in other areas. 

I wasn't having a go .

More diame who took the pics at Wembley cost Newcastle 4.5 mill that's all abdi cost us 4 mill . 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Good point but Diame would have only dropped out of the prem for one team, the one he signed for.

Diame would be a dream signing but we won't be signing players like that till we get promoted. 

Agreed I was only asking because huddlestone ain't a 12mill player .

But has abdi proved he is .5 of our mill off Diame . Sorry to say not yet

15 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Then you, better than anyone will know how deflating it is running the channels, going wide or dropping a little deep when the midfield turns. Only to start again from square one. 

I think Carlos is on top of the problem in sorting the 2 from 3 or 4 who will be in the middle of the 4 with hopefully some probing round the back by our wide men.

The front twq today didn't offer that variation of movement did they.