Joao

3 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

We've beat on the opposites, more frequently with Joao in the team, than with Hooper.

Correlation doesn't imply causation: our midfield shape has been restructured in Hooper's recent absence, which I'd argue has had a far greater impact on our upturn in form than anything João's done.

Yes, he's played his part and will continue to do so, but to attribute our current run of form to a striker who hasn't scored strikes me as a bit odd, especially for someone who used to argue against such reasoning in last season's countless Nuhiu threads...he too played in a lot of our victories, don't forget!

21 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

With him starting we've gained 2 points per game, easily play off from, maybe autos.

Without him starting, we've gained 1.6 per game, borderline play offs.

So you think that Joao contributes enough to be with a top 2 club? 2 points a game is top 2 territory. 

How many games is this over etc? 

27 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

With him starting we've gained 2 points per game, easily play off from, maybe autos.

Without him starting, we've gained 1.6 per game, borderline play offs.

Yet when exactly the same logic was applied to Nuhiu over the last two years, you were having none of it.

Hypocritical? Or have you become an empiricist and going with the option that, despite all logic, gives you the best results?

Joao's league record this season

85 minutes away to Norwich and then subbed in a goalless draw 

69 minutes away to Brentford and then subbed when we were 1-0 down; Hutchinson equalises in stoppage time to make it 1-1 final score

73 minutes away to Wolves and then subbed when we are 2-0 up; score remains the same at final whistle

74 minutes at home to Preston and then subbed whilst we are 1-0 up; we go on to win game 2-1

Whole game away against Reading which we lose 2-1

55 minutes at home to Barnsley and then subbed whilst we are 1-0 up; we go on to win game 2-0

Whole game at home against Rotherham which we win 1-0 due to a last minute penalty conversion won by Joao who was fouled

Came on as a sub for last 20 minutes (including stoppage time) when we were 1-0 up away to Newcastle; we went on to win the game by same scoreline

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Yet when exactly the same logic was applied to Nuhiu over the last two years, you were having none of it.

Hypocritical? Or have you become an empiricist and going with the option that, despite all logic, gives you the best results?

Which is exactly why I've deliberately over emphasised this stat, to highlight the hypocrisy.

This stat was the stat to end all stats, last season. It was quoted again & again. 

Now not so much.

Joao has done pretty well, pivotal in the wolves, Barnsley & rham games. But he's not an OT hero.

Miles better than Nuhiu, & will be used as much as Hooper (from the bench).

31 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Correlation doesn't imply causation: our midfield shape has been restructured in Hooper's recent absence, which I'd argue has had a far greater impact on our upturn in form than anything João's done.

Yes, he's played his part and will continue to do so, but to attribute our current run of form to a striker who hasn't scored strikes me as a bit odd, especially for someone who used to argue against such reasoning in last season's countless Nuhiu threads...he too played in a lot of our victories, don't forget!

ZZmdu you've just been owned! 

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

By a post which tells me I can't imply (discuss) causation, & then immediately tries to do this himself with another variable.

:)

Stop trying to own me, you will never own me!

Guest Copthorneowl

Just watched the match on player having watched it on sky. Have to say anybody singing in favour of Joao over Hooper or Fletcher can't be real.

Thought his very short spell when I  watched live was pretty mediocre having watched specifically to get more of a look at the big fella due to many pro Joao comments have to say his performance was utterly poor. Didn't run half as much as Fletcher who ran himself ragged for 90 mins before Joao came and lost control of the ball virtually every time he got it. At he very end he nearly cost us.

Nuhiu came on and as per usual held the ball up every time he got it (3/4 times).

Be amazed if Carlos calls on him again in similar circumstances....... Get him on loan much to learn not needed.

7 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Just watched the match on player having watched it on sky. Have to say anybody singing in favour of Joao over Hooper or Fletcher can't be real.

Thought his very short spell when I  watched live was pretty mediocre having watched specifically to get more of a look at the big fella due to many pro Joao comments have to say his performance was utterly poor. Didn't run half as much as Fletcher who ran himself ragged for 90 mins before Joao came and lost control of the ball virtually every time he got it. At he very end he nearly cost us.

Nuhiu came on and as per usual held the ball up every time he got it (3/4 times).

Be amazed if Carlos calls on him again in similar circumstances....... Get him on loan much to learn not needed.

Sorry but that's just a ridiculous thing to say on every level

11 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Why because you disagree with it? 

You come across as an angry person, does nobody love you? 

29 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Anyone who thinks carlos won't start with Ff & Fletcher up front, can't be real.

That leaves joao & Hooper for the bench. Anyone thinking hooper would be brought  on when we need to preserve a lead can't be real.

4 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

Farm him out in January. He's just not kicked on since we got him. His attempts on goal are simply embarrassing.

Not unless we replace him.

We need cover for Fletch. If Fletch gets injured we would only have the Hooper/FF pairing, and their goal record together is awful.

On 12/26/2016 at 23:36, don'tCallMeOwlCallYo said:

He's a striker that can play up top on his own and be a menace, very few can do that. I think alot of people will eat their words regarding Joao in a few years. Most players who play like him bloom at 26ish. 

Problem with this is we have'nt got a few years to wait.

6 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Anyone who thinks carlos won't start with Ff & Fletcher up front, can't be real.

That leaves joao & Hooper for the bench. Anyone thinking hooper would be brought  on when we need to preserve a lead can't be real.

He hasn't started FF up front in 7 games out of the 19 he has been available. 

Guest Copthorneowl
7 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I said anybody who thinks Joao will start before Fletcher or Hooper isn't real please read again. He will imo not pick Joao to start before either of those two if they are fit.

Guest Copthorneowl
34 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

What is ridiculous about saying Joao is not as good for us as Fletcher or Hooper. I specifically said having watched his short erratic effort he should not play before either of them and I'll go further he should not come on to see out a game before Nuhiu.