Joao

2 hours ago, zzmdu said:

I'm not sure Hooper coming back, will affects Joaos time. 

Glad to have Hooper back, but can see him struggling to get back in the side. Carlos isn't going to put ff wide or/and drop reach to left back or the bench.

How would you slot Hooper back in?

I would always partner Hooper and Fletch, so FF and Reach would be on the wing.

If Pudil is not doing it I would play Wallace right and FF left, with Reach LB.

Tick tock, tick tock....

I said if he'd not contributed significantly by January. It's not his lack of goals that worries me. It's his head, he just doesn't seem to play with confidence or any arrogance. He has great attributes. He came on last night and whether he was asked to do a job or not, his body language is all wrong. I agree with what someone said about Big Dave, he came on and his body language said he understood perfectly what his job was, even for a few minutes. You can see the relationship he has with the rest of the squad. They want him coming on to help see the game out. Joao, whether it's confidence, sulking or lack of mental strength, just doesn't seem right to me.

We play in the here and now. He's obviously a nice enough lad, but I don't want him to come good in two months.

We are much closer to the top two than I would have imagined, it'll be interesting to see if Newcastle miss Shelvey a bit more than they thought. Still 4 games without him. With players going to African Nations etc, one bad month could see them relatively struggle.

If Joao can be improved on, then we have to take the opportunity.

50 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I would always partner Hooper and Fletch, so FF and Reach would be on the wing.

If Pudil is not doing it I would play Wallace right and FF left, with Reach LB.

Ff & Reach play left wing, which one would you switch,  in order to get Hooper back in?

14 hours ago, Manila_Owl said:

Get rid. He's not good enough.

Three wins and three garbage performances. He's had a 'run' of three games and shown nothing. Absolutely nothing. If he can't score in this team then what chance has he got.

You should not stand still even when winning, we need to start by replacing him. 

Been saying it since he came back...simply doesn't understand the physical or technical side of the championship!!

17 hours ago, Manila_Owl said:

Three wins and three garbage performances. He's had a 'run' of three games and shown nothing. Absolutely nothing. If he can't score in this team then what chance has he got.

You should not stand still even when winning, we need to start by replacing him. 

totally agree

I'd be interested to see what people who were actually at the game think about his contribution when he came on. For me watching on TV he looked disinterested, didn't press the ball and when he was in posession he gave it away. It was like being down to 10 men compared with Forestieri's evident workrate. That said, I wasn't there but I'd be interested in anyone who was there confirming if this was the case or not?

My personal opinion is get rid. If he was going to set English football on fire he would have done so by now. 

Guest Copthorneowl

Joao only came on to help see the gabme out, hold the ball up make sure he didn't give it away cheaply and stretch the Newcastle defence so that they could not move forward loading easy balls into our box.

Imo he failed in that short space of time to do just that. We need a fit Hooper including three fit strikers and let the boy out on loan.  If he shapes up well he has a future if he's doesn't sell him move on we're not a second rate team and club anymore. Want to be a premier league club .......act like one move him on unless he shapes up on loan.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Either or both.

Even to yourself,  the idea that ff, will play anything but upfront, must be pure fantasy.

CC's choices & signing suggest anything but. 

Do you really think ff, a total right footer  who only plays left, to cut inside, will be switched to the rights or thar Reach an orthodox left footed winger will be?

Fantasy holmowl. Bar injuries or sales  it's difficult to see Hooper starting.

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

Even to yourself,  the idea that ff, will play anything but upfront, must be pure fantasy.

CC's choices & signing suggest anything but. 

Do you really think ff, a total right footer  who only plays left, to cut inside, will be switched to the rights or thar Reach an orthodox left footed winger will be?

Fantasy holmowl. Bar injuries or sales  it's difficult to see Hooper starting.

Why such bitter dislike of Hooper?

21 hours ago, Manila_Owl said:

I don't think Joao will be going anywhere soon. Carlos got visibly narked when answering questions about Joao in a recent interview

We are currently on one of, if not our best, run of games ever under Carlos and Lucas Joao has had more game time (around 70% of total available minutes) than even Kieran Lee, so he's contributing and no need to be jettisoned just yet

He does look gangly, impudent, tends to celebrate with off-field compatriots (like Semedo) rather than with the others and cries when he loses a tooth, but he's not someone I'd want to see leave

Just now, Holmowl said:

Why such bitter dislike of Hooper?

Oh dear! Im very happy to have Hooper back, in the squad. Might be useful from the bench.

But it looks very unlikely, that Carlos will play ff, outside, especially on the right. The signing of reach & CM further strengthen us outwide.

Joao & Hooper are good cover for ff & Fletcher. Really glad hooper is back.

6 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Oh dear! Im very happy to have Hooper back, in the squad. Might be useful from the bench.

But it looks very unlikely, that Carlos will play ff, outside, especially on the right. The signing of reach & CM further strengthen us outwide.

Joao & Hooper are good cover for ff & Fletcher. Really glad hooper is back.

Hoopers goal record, goals to starts is some thing like 38 starts 18 goals, it's more a question whether to start fletch of FF with him! 

Just now, punkassmofo said:

Hoopers goal record, goals to starts is some thing like 38 starts 18 goals, it's more a question whether to start fletch of FF with him! 

I think not. Carlos' preferred front two is FF & Fletcher. Difficult to conclude otherwise.

As you have the stats, please tell me how many wins has Hooper scored in this season?