Which is the biggest rivalry, Barnsley or Rotherham?

Neither are really our rivals. Interesting to compare them within a few days though. Both similar size clubs, similar distance away. Baaarnsley brought about 2500, toytown about 250!

Baaarnsley actually!ly attacked us and tried to win. Toytown were just, well...urrgghhh. 11 men behind the ball, playing for 0-0. What's the point of that she. They are 12 points from safety?? The time wasting for 90 minutes got the perfect justice too, an injury time winner.

Persona!ly I don't care about the match quality. We have half a team out but got 6 points. That's all that matters. Well done Wednesday

Barnsley are much the bigger club.  Rotherham are way ahead of normal expectations being in this league.  Barnsley will always feel they are underachieving if they are in the third tier.

I tend to quite like Barnsley. Rotherham i have never had a view on but obviously went off them when the fat man was in charge.  The only time in my life i have been to Rotherham was taking the kids to Magna which was absolute rubbish and i probably hold that against the place as a whole.

This is an easy one to settle. Just go to the "NON SWFC FOOTBALL NEWS" section of the forum and look for the "Wheels falling off at Rotherham" megathread or similar about Barnsley. They do not exist because nobody really cares. Whereas Sheffield United and Leeds ...........

Rotherham came round with the begging buckets, some owls fans donated. That's how much rivalry there is.

How many would have donated if it was the blades coming round with the begging buckets.

I look on Rotherham as a retirement home for our old players when they are no longer  good enough for us.

Only one rival and thats the pigs.

I don't mind Barnsley, decent club, decent fans who you can have a conversation with.

Rotherham on the other hand wanted a rivalry so bad with us they joined the pigs and became the mini piglets thinking we would react but all it shown was how desperate both clubs are, but before they came running with the begging buckets. 

They also invented to Chuckle brothers so on that basis alone can't stick them little scrubbers. 

Rotherham - easily. 

Its just all so very, very bitter with them. 

I used to go to their games when we were away, I wouldn't dream of it now. That Miller who called up straight after CC on P&G summed it up - bitterness from every pore of his body about SWFC. 

You can't have conversation with a Rotherham fan about football, not with SWFC involved. I can have conversations with the Pigs I know, and debate the nuances of Sheffield football. That says it all. 

Rotherham absolutely hate us and always side with United; this makes me dislike them more than Barnsley, Leeds, Donny etc. In terms of a derby though I'd say Barnsley is the best of them, the games always got a bit of a kick to it and it's a top away day. Leeds don't care about us really and that makes me indifferent towards them. All in all though nothing compares to our actual rivals. The rest of the clubs can try for a rivalry with us but it's about United really. F***in hate 'em!

2 hours ago, PEARSON said:

Rotherham absolutely hate us and always side with United; this makes me dislike them more than Barnsley, Leeds, Donny etc. In terms of a derby though I'd say Barnsley is the best of them, the games always got a bit of a kick to it and it's a top away day. Leeds don't care about us really and that makes me indifferent towards them. All in all though nothing compares to our actual rivals. The rest of the clubs can try for a rivalry with us but it's about United really. F***in hate 'em!

The fact that Rotherham have to join the pigs to have a rivalry says it all. The fact that the pigs let them says it all.

All the other five local teams in the area have us as their nearest rival and like the four nations everyone hates us like they hate England - a big team syndrom.

The fact that nobody cares about us outside the area makes them look even more pathetic, as we, on the whole are irrelevant nationally.

Neither are our rivals. Toytown like to think they are, which is so very sweet of them, but they mean nothing to us. The same goes for Barnsley really, who to be honest, are probably bigger than the pigs, who in turn are certainly bigger than Toytown.

Never minded Barnsley...Their fans seem fair enough...always used to meet a couple i knew pre match in pubs around Hillsborough and Oakwell,but thats the sole reason I like to beat them, just to rip the p*ss in a pub after...Rotherham TBH..just like playing anyone else...want to win...Leeds the same...The only match I ever get nervous about is The Blades...absolutely frightened to death of losing to 'em...It wouldn't bother me if we never played 'em again...(been going quite well that lol)...but it is the ONLY derby...cos it really matters

6 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Neither.

Although I did enjoy Whiteys meltdowns on here

lol

Never happened. garymegson

I think everyone knows in South Yorkshire the size of clubs goes:

Wednesday

Dem Blavdes

Barnsley

The rest

And in my 34 years, I would suggest there's nothing between us and Dem Blavdes other than morals. They edge us on Premier League campaigns slightly, but other than that I think we edge it in terms of achievements. They beat us on attendances but that goes without saying. Sheffield has a much bigger population than Barnsley. Historically they're way bigger. 

Rotherham are a L1 club, with the odd year or two in the second tier. Donny are a L2/L1 floater who occasionally make it up here. Chesterfield aren't in Yorkshire.

We're the longest serving second tier club. But in modern football we are a club too big for prolonged spells out of it, but too small probably for much beyond it. 

I really enjoyed my trip to Hillsborough last week. You have some great staff and I met Mr Chansiri and Carlos. They treated us brilliantly. Not happy about Westwood throwing his towel in the netting though over our GoPro. Although to be fair, we wouldn't have captured owt. A rare nil on our part. Glad we made up for that yesterday in Wales. 

You're dogging out wins, lads. Without doing much. Sign of a good team. Loads will fancy a playoff spot this season though. I think January will be interesting for us all.

Have a good week, and if I don't get back on before, have a terrific Xmas with your family and loved ones. 

:stuwinky: