View of Owlerton 110 Years Ago

52 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

didn't think we were called 'sheffeld' wednesday in 1906 ??? or am i being dense too ???:picnic:

awesome pic btw 

Sheffield was often used as a suffix pre name change to describe both The Wednesday cricket and football clubs by newspaper reporters to let all and sundry know we were men of steel.

5 hours ago, onslow said:

Dunsby - Any known pictures available of the Olive Grove stand installed at Hillsborough, or was it to early? I recall the picture of the south stand being built with everyone stood terraces under construction. 

There's a zoom in on the stand AT Olive Grove -

IMG_3686%201_zpsk9mlm1mk.jpg

I think this is

team_zps93f3e1e7.jpg

that defo is !

v01152.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

10 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Just came across this drawing - Owlerton from the Leppings Lane - not seen this view before ! A grand view - December 1906.

1906-owlerton_zpsiid0c8uw.jpeg

Just consulted that archive site I mention from time to time

The stats are incomplete, but the highest home attendance given for 1905-06 was 36,363 - FA Cup 3rd round v Nottm Forest

I can stare at this drawing and imagine the atmosphere on there with a crowd like that

ps Wednesday won 4-1

We have such an interesting history, its ridiculous that things like this aren't on show in a museum. There's loads we could put in there and incorporate into a glorious stadium tour with pictures and information about our fantastic club through the years.

I know it gets mentioned in these threads from time to time, but maybe its time to bring the steering group to use and propose it to the club. 

Surely any investment would be returned in a few years

4 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

There's a zoom in on the stand AT Olive Grove -

IMG_3686%201_zpsk9mlm1mk.jpg

I think this is

team_zps93f3e1e7.jpg

that defo is !

v01152.jpg

Great stuff DunSby. I think The Star used the bottom one for spot the ball, it ran for weeks and nobody won. 

Well done, Dunsby. This appears to be an artist's impression of the ground taken from the position of the current scoreboard. The South Stand was obviously replaced later by the stand form Olive Grove, and the covering on the Leppings Lane didn't, in my memory, extend to cover the full extent of the enclosure. It was obviously taken back at a later date when the then new scoreboard was built on top of the coverage. I can assure you of this. I got drenched on it many times. The North side of the ground, however, is very familiar. There was a shed covering the North West corner, with what I would estimate as a 15 foot gap to the start of the later named 'Old Stand', which consisted of a terrace and seated area. This was entranced from either Kop or Leppings lane entrance for the payment of an extra six pence transfer fee.

The ground was later extended  by the building of the South or 'New ' Stand with a terrace in front of this, and the addition of the Kop 'hump'. It is well pictured in the painting 'The Hillsborough Roar', mentioned in a piece on here a few weeks ago, which was an exact likeness of the ground in 1950.