Stuart Gray

On 17/12/2016 at 12:18, prowl said:

As I remember it we could have bought Wickham for about £2m according to some newspaper reports ( I've no idea if it is true) , he was very much out of favour at the time. MM wouldn't stump up the cash To be fair to him it was probably wages that were the issue.

I was gutted when he went to Leeds.

Doesn't sound right, no. Pretty sure Sunderland recalled him from his loan before it was finished - so they must have seen some use for him.

With Gray though - does no one remember what we were like under Dave Jones (except 2012)?? Even in 14-15, we still played more entertaining football than that. And in Gray's first season, we played some nice stuff - I remember the Leicester game (his first as caretaker?) when we played the eventual champions off the park with slick, one-touch passing football!

1 minute ago, till_i_die said:

Doesn't sound right, no. Pretty sure Sunderland recalled him from his loan before it was finished - so they must have seen some use for him.

With Gray though - does no one remember what we were like under Dave Jones (except 2012)?? Even in 14-15, we still played more entertaining football than that. And in Gray's first season, we played some nice stuff - I remember the Leicester game (his first as caretaker?) when we played the eventual champions off the park with slick, one-touch passing football!

I remember Carlton Palmer saying on the radio that he knew Wickhams agent and there was a deal to be done if we could get the money together. 

28 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Maybe they don't want to be asleep by 3.45 every Saturday afternoon.

the most entertaining side in the championship is Fulham .....and who's there senior coach ?..............you do the best with what you are given and how gray kept us that season he took over isn't important all that mattered is that he did .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the most entertaining side in the championship is Fulham .....and who's there senior coach ?..............you do the best with what you are given and how gray kept us that season he took over isn't important all that mattered is that he did .

Fulham the most entertaining side is just your opinion....I'd go for Newcastle myself.....he's second in charge then so not the man

responsible for playing entertaining football.  If there was such a sport as anti-football Stuart Gary would be the top man.  

1 minute ago, whyte_owl said:

Fulham the most entertaining side is just your opinion....I'd go for Newcastle myself.....he's second in charge then so not the man

responsible for playing entertaining football.  If there was such a sport as anti-football Stuart Gary would be the top man.  

:stuwinky:

44 minutes ago, till_i_die said:

Wickham hadn't worked out for Sunderland at the time. When he came here he did OK but it was only a short loan. We had done what they wanted us to do which was give him game time and get him fit. When he went back he didn't do much other than a couple of cup goals. We got him back at the beginning of the next season and he was on fire. That's when we could have bought him. I can't remember where the suggestion we could have bought him came from but I do remember discussing it on Owlstalk. My view was that if we bought him and he proved his quality here it wouldn't be long before someone else made us an offer MM wouldn't refuse. In the event we wouldn't cough up for him and Sunderland realised we never would buy him. They sent him to Leeds where he didn't do much either.

After that he improved when he was back at Sunderland and was a good part of the reason they stayed up.

I can't guarantee the above is 100% accurate but it's reasonably close.)

8 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Gray worked wonders with what he had. Yes a lot of it was boring but that was what he needed to do with the players he had. Jones was taking us down, Gray turned it round and create a team out of what he had.

I've no idea if he could have created an exciting attacking side if he'd had money to play with. Maybe, maybe not but I'd like to have given him the chance.

Anyway Carlos hasn't done too bad but we have spent a fair few bob.

Its easy to say he was ultra defensive, or it was eye bleed stuff. its said quite alot since time has past, but i dont totally agree, for 2 reasons.

1, that pitch tho! there is no way carlos would have played our ace footy from last year on that old wicket. it was terrible and not conducive to any sort of proper football.

2, we missed some reyt sitters in front of goal. stevie may x4 at home to wolves when we lost 1-0, Nuhiu at home to Brighton in a 0-0 draw where we wasted chance after chance. i could go on and on about loads of games.

Loads of threads on ere during that time about our finishing. it was terrible and cost us a play-off place. 

we was in the top ten nearly from jan for most of the season and victory on the last day would have seen us finish 9th, but defeat (away at ipswich?) meant we slipped to an unjust 13th position. 

Gray was awesome for us with what he had. i was gutted when we sacked him.

till i realised Carlos is the real deal. 

11 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

A much better recruiter and coach of defensive players than attacking ones

But for me, that's how to get out of this league. Maybe not if you have parachute money, but without it I think it's the way to go. When all is said and done, that's how 'Boro did it. We did create chances under Gray, but we didn't have the strikers to take them. We couldn't afford them. Armed with Chansiri's money, that situation would have changed. Chansiri engaged Carlos as much for entertainment as anything else, but it's not easy to gain promotion in an entertaining fashion when you're a non-parachute club. You have to be pragmatic, and be more concerned with results than presentation. The entertainment of last season's now largely gone anyway, now our opponents are used to us.

59 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Its easy to say he was ultra defensive, or it was eye bleed stuff. its said quite alot since time has past, but i dont totally agree, for 2 reasons.

1, that pitch tho! there is no way carlos would have played our ace footy from last year on that old wicket. it was terrible and not conducive to any sort of proper football.

2, we missed some reyt sitters in front of goal. stevie may x4 at home to wolves when we lost 1-0, Nuhiu at home to Brighton in a 0-0 draw where we wasted chance after chance. i could go on and on about loads of games.

Loads of threads on ere during that time about our finishing. it was terrible and cost us a play-off place. 

we was in the top ten nearly from jan for most of the season and victory on the last day would have seen us finish 9th, but defeat (away at ipswich?) meant we slipped to an unjust 13th position. 

Gray was awesome for us with what he had. i was gutted when we sacked him.

till i realised Carlos is the real deal. 

I wasn't, I'd run out of matchsticks for my eyes. Chansiri gave him his chance and he blew it. Thanks for what you did at the time Stuart, we've  moved on

£ for £ Gray did a much better job than Carlos - fact !

Gray took us from being bottom and odds on certs to go down to mid table security, he even steered us to beat Leeds 6-0 !

Carlos has had £millions spent and took us up 6 or 7 positions, yes he got us playing attractive football in his first season but so too did Gray, both seem to have reverted to dull defensive football in their second season, let's hope further £millions now being spent might give Carlos a "reboot" and hopefully a better one than Corbyns...

5 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

£ for £ Gray did a much better job than Carlos - fact !

Gray took us from being bottom and odds on certs to go down to mid table security, he even steered us to beat Leeds 6-0 !

Carlos has had £millions spent and took us up 6 or 7 positions, yes he got us playing attractive football in his first season but so too did Gray, both seem to have reverted to dull defensive football in their second season, let's hope further £millions now being spent might give Carlos a "reboot" and hopefully a better one than Corbyns...

At least it ain't our life savings, personally - if i was a billionaire - I'd put my millions into a British manager like Sam Allardyce or Bentnose to guarantee promotion. 

But, I'm not, so, I'll take what we got, he wants to back CC, CC aint no fool, far better position than what we had 5 years back. We can't complain as a club, we are on the up.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 03:19, pazowl55 said:

Wickham was to good for the league at the time. Would have got goals in any ones side.

He played 5 at Leeds and didn't score.

Maybe he just didn't like Leeds which would show he has excellent taste.