Stuart Gray

Yes, made some excellent transfers in BUT also thought Maghoma was a better player than Antonio, who he really didn't rate at all.

Neither did he see the potential in Benik Afobe.

And he thought Stevie May was a good way to spend our entire transfer budget at the time.

So, like ALL managers, there's a few clangers in there as well.

The first time he had a bit of money in January he wasted it.

You can sort of understand why Chansiri didn't want to trust him with a war chest.

The thing Gray deserve's most credit for is sorting out our solid backline and getting us defensively sound.

Coz let's face it we were unless in attack under him.

The four strikers mentioned above kind of makes my point.

Edited by pazowl55

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The first time he had a bit of money in January he wasted it.

You can sort of understand why Chansiri didn't want to trust him with a war chest.

The thing Gray deserve's most credit for is sorting out our solid backline and getting us defensively sound.

Coz let's face it we were unless in attack under him.

The four strikers mentioned above kind of makes my point.

Imagine how he feels about Carlos then. lol

Stuart Gray blew £750k, Carlos has blown more than 4 times that on one player alone, who can't get in the side ahead of semedo! 

Interesting points here. One the one hand, Westwood, Lees and Hutchinson for free, whilst on the other hand, even a few grand for May, Bus, Dielna, Melo (I'm ignoring the loans) was a waste.

When we were trawling around the free transfer market and scraping the barrel it was inevitable that we would get as many duds as successes. So three big successes out of seven (or however many it is) strikes me as very good business.

However, my point is that perhaps we shouldn't be so dismissive of the club for wasting money on wages for the likes of Dielna, Melo, and even McGugan and Lachman. Had we taken a view that we can't risk employing another "failure", then we wouldn't have taken the risk of bringing in Lees, Westwood and Hutch either.

1 hour ago, dfoster said:

Yes, made some excellent transfers in BUT also thought Maghoma was a better player than Antonio, who he really didn't rate at all.

Neither did he see the potential in Benik Afobe.

And he thought Stevie May was a good way to spend our entire transfer budget at the time.

So, like ALL managers, there's a few clangers in there as well.

Did he really think Maghoma was better? Dont remember that .

Also virtually everyone though Afobe was useless even though it was obvious he was a step up on what we had