Kieron Lee Headless Chicken.

I find the whole defence of Lee and criticism of Bannan so laughable. That's not to say I don't like Lee because I do. I like both equally & they both do very important but different jobs.

Lee gets more plaudits simply because of the few goals he scored & particularly the timing of those goals. But in general he can go "missing" quite often in games because he doesn't demand the ball & control things. Then out of nowhere he will be given the ball & make one of those bursts forward which catch the eye.

Bannan on the other hand demands the ball often & likes to control play. People get on his back because he passes sideways or back a lot but when you watch what's in front of him there is rarely anyone making a run. At least once or twice in a match he will play a killer pass & we love him when he does, but when he tries it & fails there are groans all over the ground. 

At the end of the day we should support both. Neither are bad players or deserve to be slated.

I think Carlos' reluctance to rest either is strange. I'm not saying rotate them but they both cover a lot of ground, a rest now & then could really help boost both of them. With Jones & Abdi we have two players who have gained promotion & should be able to fill the void for one game or even just a half.

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

My issue with our midfield is I don't really know where people are playing.

Whilst this may seem to confuse our opponents I think it confuses our own players at times.

I normally don't agree with you but I do on this.

One of the reasons Barnsley looked decent last night was they played the formation they always play and players were in their usual positions. It just means everybody knows what they are doing.

We change about all the time. Several formations during a game. With Lee and now Reach changing positions the most because of their all round ability.

Both players suffer because of it.

We need to work on the training ground and perfect a 433 formation so players know what they are doing

Guest Kameron

untill CC sorts the imbalance in midfield we'll not be promoted.  If the aim of the game is to finish 6th each season then a midfield containing both Bannan and Lee is good enough.  To move to next level we need better, you can add two centre halves to that list too.  

7 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

I find the whole defence of Lee and criticism of Bannan so laughable. That's not to say I don't like Lee because I do. I like both equally & they both do very important but different jobs.

Lee gets more plaudits simply because of the few goals he scored & particularly the timing of those goals. But in general he can go "missing" quite often in games because he doesn't demand the ball & control things. Then out of nowhere he will be given the ball & make one of those bursts forward which catch the eye.

Bannan on the other hand demands the ball often & likes to control play. People get on his back because he passes sideways or back a lot but when you watch what's in front of him there is rarely anyone making a run. At least once or twice in a match he will play a killer pass & we love him when he does, but when he tries it & fails there are groans all over the ground. 

At the end of the day we should support both. Neither are bad players or deserve to be slated.

I think Carlos' reluctance to rest either is strange. I'm not saying rotate them but they both cover a lot of ground, a rest now & then could really help boost both of them. With Jones & Abdi we have two players who have gained promotion & should be able to fill the void for one game or even just a half.

Lee and Bannan have different abilities as you say . However Bannan has stopped doing what he is good at. He is not working as hard , not buzzing around, being lazy on the ball and not even attempting to run games like he has in the past. Players will always get judged on what they have done in previous games 

Lee started to look at bit leggy at the same time of the season last year. He deserves a rest but hes also the first name on the team sheet and no one can really do the job he does.

Even though he was buggered by the end last night he still never stopped doing his runs, just maybe not with the same lung bursting henergy. He was still the one trying to nod in Fletchers header at the back stick in the final moments.

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Lee has been carrying a knock and basically plays every minute every game, no wonder he looks a bit leggy. I really wouldnt be worrying about him 

Agreed, he has been playing with an injury, he is an excellent player and has been our most consistant player foe the past 3 seasons. There would be many clubs including premier, who would love him in their squad. 

I'm not really sure what's the point in this thread.

It will have been a couple of dip sticks who won't have been to any other home games this season casting their "expert" opinion on a player they've seen play a few times over the past 2 season's. 

Block them out at the game and move on. 

13 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Lee and Bannan have different abilities as you say . However Bannan has stopped doing what he is good at. He is not working as hard , not buzzing around, being lazy on the ball and not even attempting to run games like he has in the past. Players will always get judged on what they have done in previous games 

I agree he's not buzzing like he used to. Maybe fatigue? Maybe it's confidence?

But I think he is still trying to control games. He's always demanding the ball & trying something. Sadly it's not always working when he does.

As for being lazy on the ball, this is where I disagree with you. Like I said in my last post, there simply is no movement in our forward line & we are too fixed in our positions. If he gives the ball quicker then it's likely we end up losing possession.

I was getting frustrated early season with how many times Reach appears to be running into space & Bannan looks at him but doesn't give it. So I watched this more closely & you can see Bannan looking to see if anyone is further forward than Reach. If not he doesn't give it him which I guess is because Reach would become isolated & doesn't have the pace to burn past a defence alone.

Lee wasn't as suited in a three as he looked concerned as to who was covering Palmer when he went forward rather than doing what he is good at. He's still our most consistent player and starts for me. Bannan however is the opposite. For me the Xmas period on the bench will do him the world of good.

We have Abdi and Jones as cm cover and wingers galore to play (if there ever fit Matias Buckley Urby)

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Completely disagree. 

Perhaps he's fizzled out in the last few weeks, but he's still one of the first names on the teamsheet. 

Works his nads off and is a more consistent player than the likes of Bannan. 

Yes, and he pops in the odd goal here and there. He continually hassles the opposition and his ball retention/distribution is great. 

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

hahahaha ... absolutely quality is OT at times. It was only a few weeks ago when he was bang in form and scored a few goals, people were touting him for the PL and we where worried when rumors appeared from Sunderland. Now hes had a couple of games below his usual self and hes and headless chicken. Honestly i am sat here with tears streaming down my face laughing. 

When will people learn...form is temporary class is permanent!!  I think the people how make comments like this as the kind of people who don't understand the full game of football and attend just for the entertainment side of things and to see a few goals. 

It is physically impossible for players to play to 8 out 10 every week and maintain that. Prime example....Sammy H last night absolutely superb but is he going to play like that every game, no he inst!! He will be the next one, the next time he gets a yellow, red or is injured....it will be "liability" and "waste of a shirt"

Thread closed.

Up next...."Tom Lees is the worst defender to ever wear the shirt"

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe its the tactics we use but I don't see many instances where we have the full back and wide midfielder overlapping each other or runners from midfield going past opponents. instead its get the ball slow the play down and go sideways or backwards because the opportunity to play quick has gone.

It happened on the left for most of the second half but perhaps you didn't notice...as for the Lee debate he was THE prime instigator of us stepping up the tempo in the second half as we closed them down all over the pitch...as soon as we upped the ante they couldn't cope with it and that's why we won last night

4 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

It happened on the left for most of the second half but perhaps you didn't notice...as for the Lee debate he was THE prime instigator of us stepping up the tempo in the second half as we closed them down all over the pitch...as soon as we upped the ante they couldn't cope with it and that's why we won last night

There were many instances where we had the chance to attack but our midfield was quite content to sit back and not join in.

Re. Bannan not bussing around and controlling games: he has been playing 15/20 yards deeper than this time last year. That can only be under instruction and is maybe a nod to the fact that he and Lee as a direct partnership are too similar (or at least occupy the same space). 

The Lee / Bannan conundrum is our version of the Gerrard / Lampard one for England. With Abdi maybe being the Scholes character too!