Rogue One - a Star Wars story

Pulsar

On 14/12/2016 at 19:27, sheffield_dave said:

Reboot?

What?

Also since when has the quantity of Marvel films run parallel to the quality? I like the Marvel films more now than when they started.

Iron man and Thor were great. Pigs ear since then.

On 14/12/2016 at 17:09, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Nothing has been rebooted. 

It is, TFA is ANH and anyone with any sense knows that.

Edited by Cersei

I'm one of many people who say it as a reboot.

It had a bigger Death Star but it was still a Death Star.

They rebooted r2d2 to a rollling football droid.

It may not have been a reboot due to the story continuity. But someone had the bright idea to use a reboot as a template for the next instalment.

I liked it but IF I was a big Star Wars fan I'd have been a bit miffed.

2 hours ago, Cersei said:

I'm one of many people who say it as a reboot.

It had a bigger Death Star but it was still a Death Star.

They rebooted r2d2 to a rollling football droid.

It may not have been a reboot due to the story continuity. But someone had the bright idea to use a reboot as a template for the next instalment.

I liked it but IF I was a big Star Wars fan I'd have been a bit miffed.

Still isn't a reboot, like it or not. 

Edited by Chris_B_SWFC

The Force Awakens was more of an homage to the original trilogy of films. It did what it needed to - repaired the damage done to the franchise by Lucas' prequels, and engaged a new audience in the forthcoming films. Personally I thought it was great fun, which is what I wanted from a movie for two and a half hours on a cold December evening.

On 17/12/2016 at 19:43, Cersei said:

Iron man and Thor were great. Pigs ear since then.

Yeesh.

Dr Strange, Deadpool and the Captain America trilogy are all excellent. 

For arguments sake, I hardly think The Avengers is a pigs ear either (tho I can personally take it or leave it)

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yeesh.

Dr Strange, Deadpool and the Captain America trilogy are all excellent. 

For arguments sake, I hardly think The Avengers is a pigs ear either (tho I can personally take it or leave it)

The first Avengers is a very well-rounded movie. Considering it was the first MCU movie to use so many main characters, it was handled really well. 

Ticked all the boxes for me. Big moments for all the main cast, brilliant chemistry between some of them, great Hawkeye debut, some short but nice hero vs. hero fights at the start, fantastic villain, and some genuine laugh out loud moments. 

The second one was a mixed bag. It tried too much and felt like a whirlwind of half baked stories with an ultimately disappointing villain.  

Civil War put all of that right and more. Let's be fair, it was just as much an Avengers movie as a Captain America movie.

Just seen Rogue One. Really enjoyed it and the tie ins from the original film, i think Jedda could've been a fan favourite location, nevermind.

There were some great surprises and I've always thought Star Wars is at its best when it's a darker tale where people suffer and people aren't good guys in that cheesy way.

Mega Geek question/point but it was previously established in many stories that the Mon Calamari didn't join the rebellion until after episode 5, so I was surprised they featured in this. 

56 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Mega Geek question/point but it was previously established in many stories that the Mon Calamari didn't join the rebellion until after episode 5, so I was surprised they featured in this. 

They made the decision pretty early not to be bound by the continuity of the endless books/comics/cartoons etc - they will just pick and choose the bits they like.

It's nothing new.  Before the prequel trilogy changed it, Uncle Owen was officially Obi Wan's brother.

Just got back from seeing this . Thought it was 10x better than TFA . The mixture of cgi characters was done very well as well and the best part for me was the x-wing , y-wing vs tie fight space battle scenes , really brought shivers seeing it. 

I also believe the homages and references to previous films were done brilliantly and much better than tfa. 

My only criticism is that the lead male actor (didn't remember his name). Didn't fit the part for me , didn't feel right . 

Barring that thoroughly enjoyed 

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

They made the decision pretty early not to be bound by the continuity of the endless books/comics/cartoons etc - they will just pick and choose the bits they like.

It's nothing new.  Before the prequel trilogy changed it, Uncle Owen was officially Obi Wan's brother.

Yeah I suppose fan service negates some of the minor things. Plus they can wriggle around it as the mon Cala crusiers still haven't appeared til ep 6. 

The space battle in return of the Jedi was one of the best bits of the originals for me so I'm glad they looked to recreate that in this one. Through the Tv show they added  the a wings too, a bit of a rehash to portray a stronger but fractured  rebellion before a new hope

1 hour ago, solo said:

Anyone else think dearth cadets helmet looks a bit wrong.

like sort of a really fat neck wrong

Assuming you mean Vader.  Yeah I noticed that. It didn't look right around the neck. Perhaps they didn't have enough source material to make sure it married up :ph34r: