The strange argument for f.ookin' the Prem off

32 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Simple question.

Based on our pedigree, history and fanbase are we one of the top 20 teams in English football?

Nibble about the edges all you want, but the answer is yes and we should be in the top tier of English football. 

For years there's been tinpot Lancastrian towns in and out of the premier league with little support. Us (and I hate to say it) Newcastle/Derby/Forest/Leeds need to get back there.

Be a more interesting top flight to swap those 5 (6 Including Villa) for some of the PL's errr... less attractive teams and much as we might loathe Leeds, they're like a pantomine villain, everybody will boo and hiss them but there's something missing if they're not there.

(Still want them to lose every week though). lol

One of the first games I remember seeing was a 0-0 draw with Rushden & Diamonds, I was eight at the time and fell in love with football regardless, I could only dream of us playing in the prem at that time.

I know the top flight isn't what it used to be and teams such as West Brom, Swansea & Stoke are just happy with mid-table mediocrity for the rest of their existence and that seems really unattractive, but getting there has to be our goal, I believe we have the infrastructure and potential to build from mid-table mediocrity in the PL.

Why this sudden idea that man City are a newbie club in the history of football? They were , for years, THE club in Manchester, then had a dip in fortunes until returning to the top.

I think the point Asteener is trying to make is a valid one. With few exceptions, the Premiership has been a split league since its inception. Look at the historical results and for very few years have Chelsea, the Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Liverpool,   not dominated the upper reaches of the League. Occasionally another club will come alongand break through, but only for the odd season. I have watched Wednesday since 1947, and have seen more second division, or at most lower Premiership football. Of recent years the final positions of the Premiership has been the above clubs so it is certainly a two-league league, unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Why this sudden idea that man City are a newbie club in the history of football? They were , for years, THE club in Manchester, then had a dip in fortunes until returning to the top.

I think the point Asteener is trying to make is a valid one. With few exceptions, the Premiership has been a split league since its inception. Look at the historical results and for very few years have Chelsea, the Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Liverpool,   not dominated the upper reaches of the League. Occasionally another club will come alongand break through, but only for the odd season. I have watched Wednesday since 1947, and have seen more second division, or at most lower Premiership football. Of recent years the final positions of the Premiership has been the above clubs so it is certainly a two-league league, unfortunately.

Leicester?

Great OP and some top quality points throughout this thread... It may even have changed my opinion

I don't consider myself an "old boy" by any means (the wife sees this as a problem) but I'm in my mid 30's and have been going since the late 80's. As a young man I saw us beating the big boys, trips to Wembley, the "old girl" full to bursting against Kaiserslautern.

As a teenager I used to moan when we were last on on Match of the Day, get disappointed when we didn't sign Michael Mols or Patrick Kluivert... Didn't even know I was born!! Eventually we can all take things for granted...

The last few years in the Premier League felt truly painful, they were nothing compared to what was to come

Maybe it was all part of growing up but no matter how bad things got it never felt like the end of the world to me. During our prolonged absence from the top flight football has hurtled at breakneck speed towards money, business, showbiz... None of these things mean much to me, just give me watching The Wednesday

Even on the way to Wembley I genuinely felt like I didn't care if we were promoted or not. Just thought it was a throw up between struggling week in week out against the billion dollar boys and another push towards the top of the championship

But as the day unfolded it felt like the big time was in touching distance... Wednesdayites out singing the opposition, seas of blue and white... I walked out down Wembley Way as deflated as anyone

Reading how some of you (who are no longer young men either for the record!) either have no memories of Wednesday at the top or even worse have only ever seen the dross, tips the balance for me... You all deserve to see the Owls flying high at least once... If you are lucky you might one day take that for granted

Wawaw

Edited by Cosby Blunkett

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

This thread sums up the arrogance of our fans.

Looking down our noses at the Premier League as if it won't be good enough for us.

Bored of mid table..

People think we are entitled to be winning the thing unlike other tinpot clubs who come up.

It does nothing of the sort mate

it was a simple question about how you would feel if we were mid table Prem 

why did we call for the head of Francis if we were not discontent with it at the time ?

its not arrogance it's simply human nature I'm enquiring about in the original post

Some good points made on here and I totally understand the OP's points.

But of course we have to aim for the top league. We have to believe we can be competitive when we get there. Step by step.  Who knows what Chansiri might throw at it if we get up? Or maybe he'll sell to someone with even more money?

Believe. It's the bottle half full approach. Dream and it might happen. 

Guest Copthorneowl

I remember only too well when we were christened the original "yo yo" club going back into the late 50's/60's. 

With all the silly money that's now thrown at just being the worst team in the premier league it's a fact  that if we ever hope to be a 'big club' again (not just think we are cos of our gates and history) we simply have to get promoted.

If we can't we will not only lose this generous owner but also avoid any others coming in to give it a try. We have to be like Burnley, Boro, Bournemouth and others and aim to go up then avoid being reckless with the spending so that the inevitable struggle or relegation means we can keep our players, be favourites to return (just like the teams that drop now) and build a base. I think Burnley came down kept most if not all their players and added only Gray to the team squad.

You simply have to get in the Prem to establish any base or be a leading team in the champ with promotion credentials.

We have meltdown comments doing well in the champ I think in the Prem most would expect our max ambition would be survival and therefore not quite so extreme and hyper critical of CC DC and every player we get.

Were on our way, were.................way.

I would probably eventually find it no more fulfilling than it's felt for the majority of the last 16 years, but for at least a while, and for at least some moments, it will be great. 

I won't succumb to Championship Stockholm syndrome. 

18 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Man city fans were known all over the country as the best supporters, by volume, of any club, forget Newcastle, Sunderland etc, Man city were getting crowd of 25k+ in the old 3rd division.

It is only since Man city 'Won the Lottery' with the Arabs that the fan base has begun to falter, through extortionate pricing.

Man city's season tickets are cheaper than ours.  Sure they are £400ish