The strange argument for f.ookin' the Prem off

3 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

I went to my first game in 2000 and I've no memory of us being in the Prem.

To me to make it there would feel like Del Boy finally becoming a millionaire. To see us on Match of the Day would be both amazing and surreal. The Europa League would be beyond that.

This time next year Rodney!!!

Like a few others have said, I would hope the extra revenue means prices stay reasonable. It's not just the thought money but the extra sponsorship too. And dare I say it... corporate boxes being full again.

We may only ever be a mid table premiership team... but we'd have a much better squad & more of a chance at winning a cup.

Id love my son to have the chance of seeing a cup win like I did the Rumbellows. Or even watching us lose to Arsenal in a cup double.

Guest Kameron
13 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Give me Prem Mid table mediocrity over fighting and failing to get out of the Champ anyway. If nothing else it's worth over £100M  minimum every season to the club

It's Worth over £100 million to DC and that's exactly why he's here. 

13 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Listen..and pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious....I told me lad this when he was 10....

Its going to be crap for the most part, the odd shaft of sunlight that pierces the clouds that lower over Hillsborough will be fitful, fleeting and once in a blue and white moon.... f.ookin' brilliant...

Thats what football should be...You don't just trot down to Hillsborough and look for the team news on yer Iphone..Look at the bricks!!!...Look at The South....look at the North.,..

Its like visiting a f.ookin' football museum...Drive yer car up to the top of jawbone hill..and look at it!...lying in the valley...

Think how many hopes and dreams have lived and died in that one f.ookin'  little square of Sheffield....Its more than getting to the Premiership in the next 10 seconds...Its cloth caps tobacco an' f.ookin' Tidman...

Its Colin West hitting a penalty against the 5 arches...Its Waddle turning Burrows legs to spaghetti...Its the good the bad and the whole history of the club...

Its sad ..its funny..and its fleetingly been brilliant...Its not kneejerk immediate...you have to live it..not f.ookin' buy it

Jackpot.

I am a bit torn on the question of weather I really, really want Wednesday to get into and stay in the Premier league.

Yes could result in higher ticket prices, moving about kick off times and really dislike the circus top level football has become in this country.

But on the other hand if you don't want your club to be in the top division and pitting their wits against the bigger clubs then what is the point of going at all. 

20 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am a bit torn on the question of weather I really, really want Wednesday to get into and stay in the Premier league.

Yes could result in higher ticket prices, moving about kick off times and really dislike the circus top level football has become in this country.

But on the other hand if you don't want your club to be in the top division and pitting their wits against the bigger clubs then what is the point of going at all. 

Exactly. You have answered your own question.

A good thread this, lots of good points made too

I'd tried to make similar points in a thread about stability last month (but it got side-tracked somehow and ended up being more about Burnley!)

I happen to think the Championship is as good now as it's ever been

Attractive fixtures, good crowds and more to the point, we're able to compete at the sharp end - approaching every game, home and away, with a realistic chance of winning

How often have we been able to say that this century?

Reaching the play-offs has to be the target and promotion is ESSENTIAL, sooner rather than later

We need to get both feet on the ladder before we can start climbing the thing

But how we fare once we return to the PL will rely on lots of factors no-one can really address until we actually get there

Investment is guaranteed, I suppose, given the amount of TV cash currently on offer, sponsorship deals etc

Players (wages!), ground improvements, admission charges - which will it be, evolution or revolution?

Fair to say you need one team to get promoted from this league and another to become established in the prem

But breaking up a successful side too early is usually a recipe for failure

That's why I'll always favour stability at staff and management level, and patience from everyone else

The first few seasons (if we make it that many) will be a rough ride.  Not many clubs go up and take the league by storm. only Burnley doing reasonably ok this year but 1 or two losses and they are sucked back into the relegation mix. at 13th they are probably still in it. 

In keeping with the OP I have to admit to having not supported Wednesday through the "glory days" Im enjoying at least challenging for something and in the prem we'll not be challenging for much I fear but staying in the division. 

Goin to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Emirates, Anfield with the wee stick out has to be better than off to Joakewell, Ewood, St Andrews,

Win or lose have a right old Booze and enjoy it,

All seriousness though I think we would be next level on investment when compared to recent promo'd teams, Think the MASSIVE nature of our club would also attract some big names also, We do decent as it is at this level, Can't see that changing, only get better,

Man City & Leicester Premier league winners tells it all if you ask me, Prior to promotion to the prem not in a million years did any set of fans think that would be happening...It did,

I never really missed the premier league until the last few years I've realised life is too short and I want to see my club in the new premier league at least once. With the money and players and media coverage the premier league gets these days, that we haven't experienced before

Im one of those weirdos that thinks I'd rather support Portsmouth than say a Huddersfield. As Portsmouth have experienced being in the premier league with international players, winning a cup and playing in Europe against AC Milan etc.  Now they are starting from league 2 but they will be back up there in the next 5-10 years. Football works on cycles and some seasons you're at the top and some times you're at the bottom 

That to me is more interesting than sitting in the championship or league 1 for 20 years without anything happening  

16 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Thats a fair enough comment..Would you still be happy with it if you couldn't afford to go?

To be honest as Asteenerr cost isn't the real issue with me it's more shift work. That said I get to around 14 or 15 home games minimum and if you look at some Prem teams they aren't that much more than our prices, indeed some are less than our current Cat A.

Edited by Owling Wolfe

14 hours ago, killamarshtrekowl said:

I agree the shine of the premier league will wear thin fairly quickly, especially if we're in a relegation battle.

But as far as pricing goes I'm already in the position where I can't afford to see the games but if we get to the Premier League we'll be forced by league rules to charge away supporters no more than £30. How do you think it would look if Chansiri charged his loyal home supporters more than the away fans?

Promotion Looks like the only hope of being able to afford a ticket again.

It's Premier League for me!

Plus one for the avatar alone.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

I get the sentiment behind the OP, and to some extent I agree with it.

Football, in particular the PL has made the game such a soulless pasttime, the great stories of yesteryear of clubs battling against adveristy to make it to the top are now few and far between.

In some respects the game has improved because of the money that has been put in but in other ways it's created an even bigger chasm between the have/have nots which is virtually impossible to bridge. Other than last season where Leicester bucked the trend, there hasn't really been an 'upset' in the entire history of the PL era.

Personally for me, I can take it or leave it these days but maybe that's something that's come with getting older and not quite having as much of an inclination to make football the central part of what's important to me. The new generation of Wednesday fans however, deserve the right to be able have their own history with the club and unfortunately the way that is achieved these days is by throwing money at it.

For the rest of my time following Wednesday, I think I'd be hard pushed to see anything top beating Man U at Wembley in 91 but perhaps getting back in the PL and making top 6 could be seen as equalling it for some people - I know what I'd rather have though.

As others have stated clubs like Brighton, Derby and Us can't sustain these losses required to compete forever before the well runs dry, the sanctions hit or the close shop glass ceiling propping up the yo yo clubs becomes insurmountable.

Edited by TrueOwl

16 hours ago, Arnold said:

Look at man city.  There stadium is half. Empty some games.  For me I would love it but some would lose interest.  But we would aquire some glory seekers. Be amazing to go to away games in the Europa league.  Also the money involved would stop us from ever being in the same situation as before Milan took us over. 

Man city fans were known all over the country as the best supporters, by volume, of any club, forget Newcastle, Sunderland etc, Man city were getting crowd of 25k+ in the old 3rd division.

It is only since Man city 'Won the Lottery' with the Arabs that the fan base has begun to falter, through extortionate pricing.

Edited by adelphi1867

Simple question.

Based on our pedigree, history and fanbase are we one of the top 20 teams in English football?

Nibble about the edges all you want, but the answer is yes and we should be in the top tier of English football. 

For years there's been tinpot Lancastrian towns in and out of the premier league with little support. Us (and I hate to say it) Newcastle/Derby/Forest/Leeds need to get back there.

1 hour ago, Dazblur said:

Goin to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Emirates, Anfield with the wee stick out has to be better than off to Joakewell, Ewood, St Andrews,

All seriousness though I think we would be next level on investment when compared to recent promo'd teams, Think the MASSIVE nature of our club would also attract some big names also, We do decent as it is at this level, Can't see that changing, only get better,

Man City & Leicester Premier league winners tells it all if you ask me, Prior to promotion to the prem not in a million years did any set of fans think that would be happening...It did,

which would you rather  do go to old Trafford, Stamford bridge ,anfield etc etc and lose or go to oakwell and win ?........

2 hours ago, Dazblur said:

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

which would you rather  do go to old Trafford, Stamford bridge ,anfield etc etc and lose or go to oakwell and win ?........

As above I want what Leicester and Man City have,

All about progression, They once was in our position (not that long ago either),